Sovereign of the Seas kit (was there ever more than one)

mtdoramike

This might be old age creeping in, but I can recall or at least I think I recall a smaller version of the SOS, which would be the Mantua version that measures like 43 inches or so when finished. But I also seem to recall a bigger version of the SOS possibly by the same company Sergal/Mantua that was quite a bit bigger like in the 50-60 inch range that was arounf back in the 80's or 90's. Is think factual or am I delusional :P 

mike 

I may not be getting totally senile yet, I did find a large SOS on one of those Chinese rip off sites called ZHL they have one listed at 1420mm which is equal to about 56 inches I reckon and is more along the lines of the larger SOS that I was thinking of. But, I don't believe ZHL was even around back in the 90's. I know there was a fellow building a Larger scale kit of the SOS, who I Knew back when Ship in Scale had their own chat room and it was back in the late 90's if I recall.

mike

WOW, I'm surprised there haven't been any replies to this thread, I figured there would have been plenty. Does anyone else recall a larger Sovereign of the seas kit that was produced back in the early 80's to 90's, or are you feared of being ridiculed. Come on, I don't want to feel alone here hahahahaha.

mike 

Hi Mike,

I only can remeber several kits from *plastic* :) in different scales (Airfix, Revell, Aurora) an the subscription kit from De Agostini in 1:84. Even an intense search with Google did not give any more solution...

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

I built the old version of SoS way back. I don`t have the plans anymore but I believe they were dated from the 70`s or early 80`s. I remember that it was advertised as 43 inches long. From what I have seen the older kit version is a much nicer kit than the newer version - less pre-made parts but better quality materials. there was no balsa in the old version. I don`t remember the scale.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

That photo is crazy,  Shouldn't be too hard to get a good set of plans and resize em at Staples to the sczle you want. The way most of the European kits come ya have to rebuild or replace kit wood and parts anyway. One of these  days I'm gonna start my canadian plans for the Nonsuch.   BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren