Weelig Straal by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - Afrikaans for 'lightning bolt'

Another horrifying frame, we'll see how it goes, The keel is Red Oak, with Black Walnut hull planking. The lightning bolt pattern in hull is quarter sawed African Mahogany. Decking is Bubinga, hard to say right now what the rest will look like, I'll see where it takes me.. :)   By the way , that's my lumber mill in the background...lol

post-24231-0-79744100-1457556721_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-22248600-1457556753_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-65020500-1457556776_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-18014600-1457556791_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Lovely shape, beautiful colors in the wood.  The "bliksem straal" (Dutch for lightning bolt  ;) ) really stands out.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Lovely shape, beautiful colors in the wood.  The "bliksem straal" (Dutch for lightning bolt  ;) ) really stands out.

Cheers,

Thanks Piet, I never know what the hull shape will be till I'm done. Design on the fly...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Still a lot of work to do beginning with catch up sanding, Final hull dimensions are 36"L x 7"T x 8"W, my best guess at the final overall dimensions is 54"L x 51"T x 16"W. The only thing I am sure of is that the Captains quarters will have an American cherry deck, the sterncastle is African Mahogany and it will have 9 guns....:)

post-24231-0-56106400-1457722573_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-05059800-1457722588_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-96760900-1457722602_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-46240100-1457722705_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-89516700-1457722727_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-03932600-1457722748_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Well, making a little progress on this build. Sterncastle is African Mahogany with Bubinga rails. Still have quite a bit of trim to do and some changes such as doors and possibly stairs, but beginning to look like something. Stairs and masts are Red Oak and the plan is to have a square rigged 2 master (I never know from one day till the next). I'm already thinking about my next ship...lol  Thank you all for the views and comments...:)    PS, I am obviously a bad photographer, hope you see what I see.

post-24231-0-41453400-1457984660_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-76613500-1457984678_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-90342200-1457984715_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-32395200-1457984740_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-20662300-1457984756_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

very interesting ship Keith  ;)  cool design and very nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Keith

Lovely work. Your skills as a furniture maker are clearly evident in the way you have finished the wood and your ability to combine different colours and types of timber.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I have always liked mixing different exotic woods in furniture, even more so in these ships...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

very interesting ship Keith   ;)  cool design and very nicely done!

Appreciate your comment Popeye, thinking about my next weird ship..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Moved into finishing stage on my hull and masts, after several coats of lacquer I will begin final assembly. The only things left to make are the cannons, trim on sterncastle and the black sails. Then I will have a rigging session with both Blockade Runner and this one...:)

Thanks for your interest in this ship, I believe I have chosen a style for my next ship and  going to attempt a real plank on frame build. I am in the process of designing the hull now. After seeing the great work being done out there, there was no where else for me to go..lol

post-24231-0-61713200-1458249573_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-48910400-1458249587_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-19992800-1458249601_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

super shine........really makes the grain pop!   I really like the design.........are you going to have sails as well?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

super shine........really makes the grain pop!   I really like the design.........are you going to have sails as well?

ThanksPopeye, have to get my girlfriend to fir up the sewing machine before I can rig it..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Very nice and I can't wait to see her all rigged and ready for the maiden voyage.

Cheers

Patrick 

Thanks Patrick, as soon as I get The Lindworm ready for rigging I will rig all three ships at the same time. I sometimes get distracted by another design..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

glad I'm not the only one  :D  :D  :D     saw your lindworm....awesome looking ship!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

glad I'm not the only one   :D   :D   :D     saw your lindworm....awesome looking ship!   :)

Thanks Popeye, turned out pretty good ...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have 80% of sails made and mocked up on ship. Time to take it all apart and start final rigging, my fingers are sore just thinking about it...lol. With ships this size, once I decide it's new home I have to patch and paint walls. The work never ends...:)

post-24231-0-39450700-1460021450_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-73129000-1460021469_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

superb color for the sails...appears that they send a purplish hue down to the deck.  the ship looks so awesome with them on!  very nice work  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

superb color for the sails...appears that they send a purplish hue down to the deck.  the ship looks so awesome with them on!  very nice work   ;)

Thanks Popeye, still have quite a bit to do on her yet. Just have to keep fiddling with it till done...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith,

Interesting build, wish I had the skills and tools to build a ship from scratch.

For interest sake, the correct spelling in Afrikaans would be 'Weerligstraal', we also make use of word 'Bliksem straal' as Piet mentioned above.

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Hi Keith,

Interesting build, wish I had the skills and tools to build a ship from scratch.

For interest sake, the correct spelling in Afrikaans would be 'Weerligstraal', we also make use of word 'Bliksem straal' as Piet mentioned above.

Thanks Jolley, appreciate the input, Since I was using African woods or this build I looked up Lightning Bolt and saw the current spelling. I actually like the correct spelling better so I will use that on name plate....:)  thanks again....

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Nice to see the sails temporarily set up.  With her raked masts and lofty sails, she looks fast just sitting there.

Nice job.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, had a bit of a problem with the sail configuration and I am in the process of rethinking rigging. The real problem of design on the fly is when it doesn't look right , it doesn't look right ..lol. Hopefully I get it right this time...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

• 3 weeks later...

After much staring at this ship I came to the conclusion that my original sail configuration was just too busy for me. I decided to have only one mast and this is the end result. All that is left to do is finish the shrouds and some rigging.... :)

post-24231-0-16322900-1461501140_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-70317700-1461501175_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Whimsical, creative and imaginative are words that come to mind.  I like it!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I kind of hated to finish that one....:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

I think the best thing to do is get an idea of what class of vessel it will be...then look up the type of rigging for that particular vessel.   the basic rigging for that vessel,  will give you the ideas to modify it to your vessel.   whatever sheet you plan to raise will need the rigging for it's function.  you may elect to run a second fore stay.........lash your jib sails to them.  I love your configuration....very unique!   well done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• The title was changed to Weelig Straal by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - Afrikaans for 'lightning bolt'