Hi all

I am reading up on deck laying and ways to do it, what I'd like to know is..... Is the deck laid and then deck furniture added, or does the deck come to a halt at the edges of any deck furniture like hatches etc. Thanks

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

Not necessarily the best, but here is one example of framing around a hatch.  (Source:  Curtis, W. H. 1919. The Elements of Wood Ship Construction. http://archive.org/details/TheElementsOfWoodShipConstruction )

I will keep checking some other resources to see if I can find a better sketch.  Any particular ship/era/type you are interested in?  Practice varied, as in so many parts of ship building, over time and between nations.

post-18-0-99850100-1458592359_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

This is from Paasch, H. 1901. “From Keel to Truck” Marine Dictionary in English, French & German...  https://books.google.com/books?id=mG_VAAAAMAAJ&.

post-18-0-65043600-1458593287_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-96613200-1458593286_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Wayne, pretty intricate for sure. In the model sense I did wonder if hatches ect had a grounding first on a deck plate rather than on the actual planks to give stability. Great drawings.

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

The coamings and headers bear on a beam or carlin and are bolted thereto.  Then, when the plank is laid next to the coaming, it can be caulked against the coaming and the joint won't open.  If the plank is beneath the coaming, laid first that is to say, when you caulk, the pressure is trying to push the deck and coaming apart.  Additionally, if you need to replace a plank, the coaming won't be holding it down.

Here's a little sketch I did for my club newsletter:

post-17589-0-20409000-1458603869.jpg

Edited by jbshan

Hi Telp

Yes the coamings and head ledges rested on the beams and carlings, but some other deck furniture such as capstans and ship's wheel pedestals the planking ran beneath them.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU