Cape Cod Catboat by Seventynet - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcraffters - Scale: 3/4 '' = 1 '

I love the planking. On my sisters boat the planking is basswood and will be painted and because it is a commission the criteria is to model it exactly like the real one. So most of it is painted. I prefer all woods showing as I have done in all my past models.

Anyway looking forward to the results of the catboat.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

She really is looking sweet Ian, great stuff!!

Thank you Michael, Marcus and Don! Thanks others for the Likes. It is much appreciated.

Hey Marcus, if you ever want to build another one of theses I'll build another one  right along with you. We could simply use the plans to cut out the frames (and make them much thicker).

Anyway a quickie update. I fitted and glued the combing and it was not a graceful thing to behold. I did a very sloppy job of bending and the basswood kept cracking at the bow where the two pieces join. It is a severe bend to say the least but with care there is no reason it couldn't be done. I resorted to sawing grooves and cracking the bend in. It worked but it looked like crap. However it's planked anyway so at the end of the day no evidence is left with which to indict.

The planking called for is vertical using basswood. Of course I used my dwindling supply of walnut. The portholes are cut afterwards. I'm going to try to make some porthole frames later. My next job is to make a footing for the combing - something with a little style. Then make some framing for the cabin top planking. 

post-19382-0-98163900-1461896135_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-55371800-1461896137_thumb.jpg

Best, Ian

Thanks for the words of wisdom and the compliment Bob. I really appreciate people looking in and sharing their knowledge. I am a novice builder and will learn the most when people constructively criticize my work. I like the compliments too. :rolleyes:.

Best, Ian

Hi Ian

I agree sharing knowledge is a great thing and IMHO it's what a forum is all about :)

As  for constructive criticism that is a good thing too if it helps you improve, but up to now i have found nothing in your build to critisize. Yes you say you messed up the bending of your wood combing, but you stuck with it and got it right in the end and it looks great.

Carry on the way you're going you will make a fine modeller ;)

The combing looks great! Good job on the cover up Ian!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Folks,

A quick update for the catboat. Thanks for the comments and likes Bob and Elijah. Much appreciated.

Since last time I have installed the cabin roof, completed the maple vertical planking in the cockpit and added the cap rail pieces.

I have yet to plank the benches with maple and to decide whether I should replank the cockpit floor and bench sides using maple to hide the Paduak. I think it will become clearer once I have planked the benches. I also need to finish the trim piece around the base of the combing - which has turned out to be more of a challenge than I first thought it would be.

Anyway getting there. All comments welcome.

Cockpit frame and fairing the frame:

post-19382-0-52946300-1462568006_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-53310200-1462568003_thumb.jpg

Cabin top completed:

post-19382-0-36467700-1462568010_thumb.jpg

Cabin top with trim, vertical maple planks in cockpit, cap rails and general pictures:

post-19382-0-44337900-1462568008_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-36990000-1462568012_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-14520000-1462568014_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-79274400-1462568015_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-82250200-1462568017_thumb.jpg

All the best, Ian

Ian:

Great looking model. I love large scale models of small boats. This is a good looking kit and your sprung deck planking came out wonderfully.

Russ

Thanks for looking in and the kind words Russ, Bob and Bob and for the likes Elijah and Matt. Doing this build has been really good for my learning process and has allowed me to experiment a bit more than I feel comfortable doing on the Victory. Plus it will allow me to actually finish a build for the first time soon which for some reason seems to have become very important to me.

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Awesome. Excellent choice of wood.

Marcus

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I'm loving it Ian, she really is turning out to be a beauty

Thanks Marcus, Don and Brian, your comments keep me going and thanks for others pushing the like button. I've been stuck doing a bunch of accounting the last several days and have lost my shipbuilding energy. Anyway I may as well post a picture since I'm on. I've finished the bench planking with maple. I hope it looks ok with the other 2 woods in that area. I need to get the hatch covers and companionway done and a few other details then it's time to get the WOP on.

post-19382-0-45036400-1462930600_thumb.jpg

I think the wood choices are good. The finish will tell the tale. I am sure everything will "pop" and you will be very pleased.

Russ

The lines of the deck planking flows well and the roof is impressive as well. I am assuming you are still adding the cabin door? I worked a bit on mine mostly finishing the pilot house. Still too busy at work. But always have time for a quick look at your catboat.

Marcus

Hello Ian,

You are  doing a great job on your little lobster boat here. The choices of wood are looking really nice. Your deck also looks outstanding. I had fun with the Midwest Lobster Smack when I built one of these work boats.

So have fun and I am enjoying your progress.

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks for looking in Mario. Wow, I just had a look at your Chesapeake Bay Flattie. Beautiful detail and wood. Lots of tips and tricks for me to copy.

Best, Ian

Thanks for the support Russ, Marcus and Bob and for the likes Elijah, much appreciated.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

Well there hasn't been much work going on in the shipyard of late but I did manage to put several coats of poly (water based) on the boat and get the hatches on. I've tapered the mast and boom and will do the gaff today. A few little pieces to make and things to figure out. I think I'm at the 90% completion mark so I'm feeling good.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-36534200-1463945952_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-83768500-1463945953_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-42081800-1463945955_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-95990400-1463945956_thumb.jpg

She looks great Ian, super workmanship

Thanks for looking in and the comments Don, Bob, Brian and Russ, and others for the likes, much appreciated.

Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Ian,

NICE! Love the contrasting wood. What color are the hatches? Black? Dark Green.

Marcus

Thanks Zoltan and thanks for the likes Russ and Elijah. You boost my my enthusiasm for shipyard work which for some reason is diminishing the closer I get to finishing this boat.

Thanks Marcus, the hatches are black, which I regret. I can't imagine black being used on the hatches of any boat as they would sear your paws on a sunny summer day. I had made the hatches out of that Padauk red wood and that just didn't look good.

Best, Ian