Armed Virginia Sloop by Hill202 - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

You'll be surprised!  The plank will hold it's shape nicely tomorrow after it's dried.

There is really no reason you can't soak all the planking to coax it into place.  People will say that it will shrink and small gaps will appear between the strakes...and they might,  But so what?  This is the first layer of planking, and gaps at the seams can be filled with wood filler.  the only purpose of the first layer of planking is to provide a smooth, stable base for the second layer.  It is good practice, though!

I may be wrong but I can't find any build log on the AVS that mentions edge bending that first plank. The practicum does not mention doing it either. It makes me wonder if I'm the only one that had to.

Probably not mentioned because it's just assumed.  If you are using full length planks that are not spiled to shape, then pretty much every single plank will need at least some edge bending.  With the basswood I found that I didn't really need to pre-bend, I could just use pins to clamp them in place along the right location until the glue dried holding them permanently.

Basswood is just so soft and pliable that you can do quite a bit with it and not need to soak or heat, just hold it in place and glue it securely.

• 2 weeks later...

I had them cut into a plank and was not happy with the results. I'm thinking that I will cut the scuppers into the black strake but they won't go all the way thru. Hopefully giving the hint of scuppers.

This was a dry fit test of the scuppers.

post-26307-0-42519600-1479154854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Current build:    Armed Virginia sloop

The waterways are in. They are not perfect but I believe a plank will butt up to them fine.

I had a dip in my deck. I filled it and feathered out the filler. I thought it worked out fine.

post-26307-0-29761700-1479168025_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-30978500-1479168033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

I am unsure about where the stern planks end, in relation to the planks on the side. I know they go to the bottom edge but do I trim the ends even with the plank on the side? I sanded the planks on the side flush with the filler piece at the stern. The practicum shows his sanded flush with the stern planking. Can I run the stern planks over the ends of the side planks and then the fashion piece sits on top of the planks? If that makes sense. 

I'm thinking it's the same either way. My planks just go across the ends of the side planks rather than butt to them.

Any advice is always appreciated.

The planks are not glued in the photos.

post-26307-0-26869700-1479310362_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-90274700-1479310369_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-47645400-1479310913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Dave, your photos are a great help! I see where you did the same as me and your stern planks lay across the end of the side planks. Your stern looks really good. I hope that I can get at least, close to the same results.

I also noticed that several people had to add a small, ripped plank to make them reach to the bottom of the 1/4 inch side plank. I am going to substitute that last 3/16 plank with a 1/4 inch plank, thus bringing it flush with the bottom of the side plank.

I guess the fashion pieces glue to the ends of the planks.

Edited by Hill202

Joe

You're making great progress, Joe.  It doesn't matter too much whether you cover the side planking with the transom planking or butt up against them.  The final planking and placement of the fashion piece will sort that all out!  It's easiest to plank over the ends of the side planking...that's why I did it that way!   ;)

Thanks Dave. Two sets of directions and plans and I'm still asking questions. :)

One of the things I like about the way your stern looks is the outer walnut planking is bent to follow the flow of the windows instead of straight across. It really helps in defining the arc. I am not sure if my arc is as defined as yours though. I hope that it is. The different contours of a hull are what I like the most about model ships.

Joe

The first layer of planks is installed under the windows. Now I need to edge bend a 1/4 plank to glue to the window frames. I'm struggling with where to trim these next few planks on the ends. I know the fashion pieces glue to the plank ends, but I can't figure out where to trim the plank ends to where the fashion pieces will look right. I've looked at the other build threads but until I get my mind wrapped around it, I'm not going to attempt trimming the next planks.

The curved fashion piece that glues to the end of the counter needs to line up with the vertical piece that runs parallel with the windows. I don't see how ya'll got them to line up due to the shape of hull and the way the planks are trimmed...if that makes any sense.

post-26307-0-62691800-1479404921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

This is how I am attempting to work through my dilemma. This is a mock up of some planks, minus the cutout for a window. You can see that the planks on the counter are longer than the planks on the windows. The shape bellies out there. The curved fashion piece will not be directly under the vertical fashion piece.

post-26307-0-14651500-1479422372_thumb.jpg

post-26307-0-31215700-1479422381_thumb.jpg

Joe

Page 17 of chapter 2 in the practicum says the first plank that is edge bent and glued to the window sills is 1/4. The section summary says 3/16.

Maybe this is why I'm finding it impossible to edge bend a 1/4 plank that severe. The 3/16 plank is probably easier to edge bend that much.

Edited by Hill202

Joe

Joe,

Great to see another AVS build up and running! At your pace, you'll be ahead of me in just a couple more weeks. (My job's slowed me to a snail's pace.) Mind if I pull up a stool and watch the progress? I'll be getting pointers from you not too soon.

Looking great so far!

-- Greg

Thanks guys.

Come on in Greg!  I've referred back to your thread quite a bit. Your AVS is looking great. I really like the way your stern looks. I realize in the pics that you have already applied a satin finish to the walnut on the stern but for some reason the walnut planks in my kit do not look as good. I hope the satin finish brings out the grain in mine. I'm talking about the really thin planks. My parts lists states that they are .030. The plans and practicum say .020.

After looking at yours more, your planks look thicker. Maybe I have been looking at the wrong ones.

post-26307-0-68617100-1479763379_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe

If you are glueing in the window now,you gonna have hard time make flush the second planking with them,just my opinion.I did the planking first the I glued in the windows.

That's a good point Zoltan. I was thinking that having them in, would help me in making sure that the planks were tight, without gaps. Your way would also allow me to get something done over the long weekend, in case the paint does not come in.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks Dave.

Wow, this is really thin wood. One thing that comes to mind is, sanding on this thin walnut will be a delicate process. I've been pinning the basswood. I won't be able to pin this stuff because the holes will show. It looks like I'll have to try the ca/weldbond combo trick.

Joe

Thanks guys.

Come on in Greg!  I've referred back to your thread quite a bit. Your AVS is looking great. I really like the way your stern looks. I realize in the pics that you have already applied a satin finish to the walnut on the stern but for some reason the walnut planks in my kit do not look as good. I hope the satin finish brings out the grain in mine. I'm talking about the really thin planks. My parts lists states that they are .030. The plans and practicum say .020.

After looking at yours more, your planks look thicker. Maybe I have been looking at the wrong ones.

I just went to look at the Hunt practicum to see what wood planking I used for the transom walnut layer. Specifically, I looked at chapter 2.2.3, which details the two layers of planking for the stern transom.

I actually couldn't find any specific mention in that chapter of the thickness of planking to use for the walnut layer (walnut planking starts on chapter 2, pg. 19). So, like you, I used the thinnest walnut planking in the kit, which is listed as 0.020" in the kit instructions (page 14) and 0.030" in the parts list.

I would note that I sanded the transom and recoated it with satin multiple times to get the finish that you see in the photos. However, now that I've got some paint down, inboard and out, and coated with satin finish, I'm not sure that I like the glossier look. I may end up flattening it down with clear flat spray.

Aim for a snug force fit. Don't let the lights fall inside the cabin structure or you may not get them back! You could glue small strips of wood to form a frame for them to rest on in the space.

Until I'm ready to glue them, I stuck a little wad of tissue in each cavity to keep them from falling in.

Joe

The window stops are in. The windows are set to the proper depth ( or there bouts). They are not glued yet. I'm going to follow Zoltan's advice and wait until after the stern is planked.

Happy Thanksgiving!

post-26307-0-45292500-1479993880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hill202

Joe