Computer routers

G'day all

I wonder has any of you heard about, used or own a CNC 3020 4 axis router as per this link? You can look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291691489649

To me, it looks quite good for the price and it could be quite handy to do some of the fiddly routing jobs.

I'll be very interested in know what the more experience guys (and ladies) think of this tool.

Havagooday to all my fellow friends out there.

Greg

[post-16911-0-76121600-1478694760_thumb.png

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I'm thinking that's more like a CNC Milling Machine.  One could probably do all sorts of neat things with it including turning cannon.   That's if it works to the specs.   Chinese machine? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi.

I looked into this machine for a friend that is getting into model cnc machining.

Yes he purchased it.

Tolerances were very good as it is screw driven .Not chain or belt.

I checked out the machine after it arrived. By machining Delrin (engineers plastic.)

A ring was machined and tolerances were excellent, next a square block. Again could not fault the tolerances. And square's checked.

He did not use the software that came with the mill. But I see this one comes with Mach 3

I still cannot use the software ...But that's me. He finds it OK to use.

Cannot use this machine with a laptop is its only downfall.

Hope this helps.

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

G'day Antony and wacko.

Thanks you first your information.

Wacko, what do you mean when you said "Mach 4"?

Is it an upgraded version?

Havagooday my friends

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Hi Joe.

I have Mach4 on my PC at the moment. Still learning at a snails pace.

Watching utube videos on how to do things.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Anthony,

Since you know someone who has one, will it machine brass?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Mark

What I've seen in my research it can machine brass as a computer input, so you can in theory of multiple brass canons etc. It also can do aluminum and mild steel to wood.

It can also carve in 3D wood carvings if you can input into the program.

I think it can also cut out frames for hull construction etc. The cutting router can use as small as 0.8 mm bit.

I personally is learning to get one for 'Christmas' if I'm a good boy, that is.

Havagooday to all

Greg

Very interesting topic again. I have many years used my 3 axis CNC router, but only for 2D and 2.5D tasks. To build fourth axis is very simple, and doesn't cost very much, but the threshold is to buy and learn to use some 3D cad program. So I would like to ask you guys, which CAD programs are you using with your routers?

I have been reading up on these routers since this topic got started and was wondering if anyone has experience with one using an Anduino control board with the Anduino IDE and GRBL software.  I have no experience with these machines or the software but from what I have read Anduino IDE/GRBL setup is easy to use and flexible.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg, i bought a CNC 2418 with laser and motor, and it seams ok for the first tests

You can watch http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/14704-small-cnc-laser-and-router-for-carving-and-engraving-by-cristikc/to see the assemble of this

DIY kit, and the tests, maybe it will help you

All the best, Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

That's really a laser cutter and not a router as such.  I'd be very cautious using it as it's not enclosed.  If it can cut wood, it can damage you.  Also use it in a very well ventilated area as cutting some things, like mdf, releases toxic fumes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Cristi

Thanks for that information about the 2418. I agree with Mark that you should build a box around it and have an exhaust system fitted.

Does the 2418 has both a Lazer as well as milling head attached? And is it a USB interface?

I've been looking into the 2030 and it appears that it only comes with a parallel port interface, but I think I can throw away the parallel port interface and get an USB one to replace it. It means that I have to spend extra $200 for this.

I'm now looking into what software that can run it. Still surfing the net for my answer!

Havagooday to all

Greg

Hi Greg.

CNC 2418 can be bought with laser or milling head, or both, as i bought. You can chose between 500mw to 5000 mw laser.

It is connected by USB 2 , the sistem is an Arduino inside,it came wit some small software, for carving (GRBL 9) or for Laser print (a smal program, very nice)

I will show in my description ( http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/14704-small-cnc-laser-and-router-for-carving-and-engraving-by-cristikc) some new pictures i made today

It can "burn" just in the are you made the "focus" the arrengment for printing. You have to use green glases (that came with the CNC) the moment you adjust the focus, else it is ok to look.

Hope it is ok for you.

Today i found the same i bought, for just 175 USD plus shipping taxes (on Aliexpress)

All the best Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39