Depth of rabbet cut.....??

I cut the rabbet and beardline taper on my Bluenose yesterday. When I lay in a small piece of planking to test the cut the angle is about right but I'm short on the depth by about 1/32 or so. 

My question is should I try to deepen the cut to make the plank flush with the false keel or could I just sand the the plank down after its glued? I'm a bit afraid of cutting through the false keel if I try to deepen the cut on both sides.

I realize I'm still aways from planking but it would be almost impossible to deepen the cut after the bulkheads are installed.

Advice for a newbie?

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Personally, I would sand instead of deepen the cut but that's just an opinion when I look at my own skills.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave:

Each of us has a comfort zone for this type of situation. Feeling confident in my ability to make a small slice, I would cut the rabbet a shade deeper. However, Mark is right about sanding. That would also address the situation. You could even sand the end of the plank before gluing. Just hold it flat on the bench and use a sanding stick to dress the end of the plank slightly before gluing. The question is, with which option do you feel more comfortable? Answer that, and you will know what to do.  Good luck with your model. 

Russ

I'd go with sanding. 1/32 is not much wood to sand. As you lay planks down you may get slight offset to the surface of the planks secondary to the changing contour or torque to the long axis of the plank secondary to bending the plank. You are going to sand even if you don't get any irregularities to the surface.  If you feel your rabbet is deep enough and you are happy with it I would leave it. I would not sand planks before setting the because of the factors above. You can always sand a little more wood off but you can't replace it.

Edited by barkeater

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"