Jump to content

Medway Longboat 1742 by rjones726 - 1:24


Recommended Posts

My kit arrived yesterday. I had already committed to working on a repair project at my church but I did have time to gaze lovingly at the contents and conduct an inventory. Everything was there and it looks (and smells) great. I hope to get started today after work. 

v/r,

Rob

Edited by rjones726
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I guess my build is underway. I began by using a set of digital calipers to measure the width of the keel. I then divided by 2, set the calipers and made a faint mark on the charred sides of the keel pieces at the scarf joints. Using those marks as a gage I began to cut and file my way down. As I got close I began using the calipers themselves to check for high spots. I'll glue them up once I run to the store and grab some titebond. I followed Chucks advice to take my time and not settle-make it fit. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. For anyone following along I'll warn you, my photography skills are rudimentary at best and all I have is an iPhone. Maybe that's another area I can improve as the build progresses. Any and all comments and critique is welcome.

v/r,

Rob

 

 

IMG_0861.thumb.jpeg.afa54e464a1b63b8fa5cf25b84f91163.jpeg

Edited by rjones726
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

I haven't posted in a week or so- it's time for an update. I sanded the stern keel sections to achieve a 1/32" rabbit to accommodate the width of the planks, Everything went great until I decided to dry fit the transom. I sanded the entire stern keel section such that it didn't fit snugly in the laser notch of the transom any more. Of course I waited to check this until after I had glued the stern keel section onto the keel. I debated trying to use alcohol or some other method to try to get it off but in the end I decided to start over using the simplified keel. This time I was careful to only sand the lower portion and leave the upper part alone.

 

IMG_0891.thumb.jpeg.ac86ebeef623c85f8a89962a7cd9e75e.jpeg

The transom fit the way it was supposed to and I am pretty happy with the result. 

IMG_0890.thumb.jpeg.4ddcf5506d13b80af5c775cdec1909e9.jpeg

I have been taking my time assembling the frames and working on getting them to fit snugly into the build board. Next task is to get a good fit of all frames in the keel notches. I am sure there are other folks here who are as inexperienced as I am. Hopefully by talking about my mistake, someone reading this will avoid my error. 

 

v/r,

Rob

IMG_0892.thumb.jpeg.a803013cb71a18102ff1d6d860501b90.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob,

 

    Is the top picture the old keel assembly or the new?  The center notched section appears to be a little off-center.

 

    When inserting your frames into the build board, make sure they fit snug.  You don't want them moving around during the build.  I found that out while building the Queen Anne Barge.  On the other hand, don't make it too tight or else you might break something trying to get the hull off the build board later own the road.  Sand the frame ops down so they are snug but not too snug.  If you over-sand, use some blue painter's tape to snug it up (see Chuck P's build log),

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Chuck said:

You can actually still use the first version.  It doesnt matter a whole lot that it doesnt fit snug.  The inboard side will be painted red.  It will be fine.

 

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Lesson learned.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...