Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Rustyj - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:32 Scale - POF Sloop

Hi all.

Another Syren Speedwell starting here. I received mine a couple of days ago. I haven't done more than look the wood over, print chapter one of the monograph and order copies of the first three sheets of the plans. The first two sets of parts look fantastic. As you would expect the cutting is first rate and the AYC is so nice. 

My first steps will be to read the monograph a couple of time plus review Chuck's and Mike's build's. Also, I'll get the wood for the build board and glue the plans to it. Once I've completed that I'll start in on the stem.

Let the adventure begin!  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I downloaded them to a thumb drive and went to Staples. They sent them to their print shop and will let me know when they are done. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking forward to your Speedwell build log.  I know it will be an excellent build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

19 minutes ago, Ryland Craze said:

Looking forward to your Speedwell build log.  I know it will be an excellent build.

Thanks Ryland. I hope to see you at the CT show. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I got the extra printed plans back and have completed the build board. I got a 3/4" (19mm) thick MDF board for the base. I also put two 1"x2" boards length wise underneath to ensure the board does not go out of shape. It also elevates the base in case I want to use clamps for some insane reason. The plans were attached using a 3M spray mount adhesive. It worked really well.

I also put together the keel support jigs. On to the stem next.

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.6d74b4434142cbb5db3c914c1abe1837.JPG

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.7f4f4bc7df3ea468e14ce3922118b6d1.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, great to see your building Speedwell. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rick, I think Rusty already put 2-1"x2" boards lengthwise.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks Mike. I'm really looking forward to this build.

Rick Mike is correct on the two boards. The scrap pieces I had on hand were about 3" short so I put the one piece you saw across the end just to be safe. Thanks for checking in one me. I'll need all the extra eyes I can find.

I look forward to you starting your Speedwell!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yes I am planning on it. Hopefully nothing gets in the way.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking forward to following along with another of your excellent (and instructional) builds Rusty.

It was mentioned earlier that it's best to sand pieces prior to removing the from the billets. The way I do it is with a sanding block. I use 180 the 320 grit sandpaper. It's self-adhesive. It is also handy for finish sanding completed pieces like the stem. I usually use Minwax wipe on poly. My local store was out but they did have Watco satin wipe on poly. I've used other Watco products and liked them so I gave it a try. It's a little thicker than the Minwax but covers nice and looks the same.

IMG_2041.thumb.JPG.085ab914860c87c9f0bbef65a13f1c9b.JPGIMG_2040.thumb.JPG.cecd43f7ebf03d31c692b1b066c7237d.JPG

IMG_2039.thumb.JPG.c59efe3d32fc14bafbbfec126a3fcd6d.JPGIMG_2037.thumb.JPG.b9a3f3fe4ce4cd21ae16573f7aa68c88.JPGIMG_2038.thumb.JPG.36ee13f15e1a710f76d05097c003fc45.JPG

Next I'll start working on the keel. Oh this is fun!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Just found this. Once again I’ll live vicariously through your work. Off to another great start Rusty!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Mike and Chuck. 

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Once again I’ll live vicariously through your work.

Thanks Glenn. And I get to relive Winnie by watching your fine work!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Moving along I've finished the boxing joint and the first parts of the keel.

Next I'll add the false keel and the pieces on top of the keel for the rabbet strip.

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.32b80f4f6c4e89edc561f2da2819ecc5.JPGIMG_2044.thumb.JPG.17368d02c7a70b8940cbb2de660e8eec.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

This looks like a very promising start. I will follow with great interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

21 hours ago, glbarlow said:

The stem looks so cool on Syren models. 

And a lot of fun to assemble. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)