Work bench

I have a little table against the wall of my dining area where I do most of my building. And a full wood shop outside near the house. But, I’ve wanted to make a space for my little Byrnes saw and my spindle sander in the house, as I use them fairly often. 

So, since my kids have moved out several years ago, I kind of took over part of my son's old room, took a break from building the skipjack, and built this work bench last week. It has a shelf to store my wood, a little vac, a peg board and some lighting. There are no plugs on that wall, so I have to use an extension cord. 

Quick but serviceable. If I get a little mini lathe again, I can use it there as well, I think, storing it on the lower shelf. 

7D6E872E-FDCC-4877-9726-7C857C9494AA.jpeg

Additions that I would apply:

drop down casters from Woodworkers Supply on the inside of eachleg.

at least one power strip

two  "cranes" on the top of the back to site an LED shop light or two  over the work area.

an X brace on the two back legs

folding shelf brackets on the side and perhaps the front

Why build something if you can't over engineer it?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

@Jaager 🙂 I don't want to move it regularly, so no casters.  I have some, but will keep them for other projects.  There's a power strip in the back left corner, and there's a LED shop light tucked tight under the top shelf.  But mounting one with a "crane" is a good idea, so I can put the light where I want it.  This shop light is pretty darned bright, though.  No brace needed.  The lower shelf is hard attached, so it is very stable.  Not sure what I'd use folding shelf brackets for.  I'm thinking I'll just hang what I need from the peg board.  I'm sure it will fill up with stuff before too long.  But I am thinking about adding a plastic floor mat/shield beneath it to make vacuuming any errant dust easier.  

@Ebomba:  Yes, lots of natural light in that room.  Very good work environment.  I built a little jewelry making desk into a cubby on the other side.  I do that on the side as a break from modeling.  🙂 

Edited by Griphos

I was not as clear as I thought about the heavy duty folding shelf brackets.  I would use them to make the actual bench top wider and deeper- with the addition at the front.   One of the 'rules" I learned when a grad student in a research lab is  = you can never have too much bench space.

The casters - in case being against the wall blocks the side bench top extension and in case the room needed to be temporarily  repurposed.

A Byrnes disk sander could find a home there.  I find mine to be a significant improvement over the MM version I used previously. 

Something like a couple of Sterilite Drawer Organizers mounted up under the bench top on either side.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Heads up!  For all you Bench bashers...Current Harbor Freight catalog has the 60" work bench on sale for $119.99.  (I think you need the coupon).

(I have no connection to HF)

Maury

Edited by Maurys
supplimental info