Bluenose by Tector - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Congratulations on finishing your Bluenose.  It is a beautiful model.  I am looking forward to your next build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

22 minutes ago, CPDDET said:

We do get attached to our labor of love, don't we? 

But at times its a love hate relationship for me. LOL

The best advice I ever got for this kind of work is to treat each piece as a project in its own right, its own milestone. The second best piece of advice to getting through a big build was to walk away when you are getting frustrated.

Though I recall a great wit observing on this very forum that we build for accuracy and for pleasure, and when our output isn't sufficiently accurate, we have the pleasure of doing it all again. While I was kind to myself in this build, there were definitely occasions in which I tore things out and did them again, because there is being forgiving, and then there's just enabling bad habits.

I think that this kind of modelling is a lot more contemplative and process oriented than the plastic and resin kits I used to build and while building something like this absolutely has an overall goal, what really matters is the journey rather than the getting there. And that's the part I am really going to miss--as the first big build for me, each big milestone seemed extra big by virtue of having never gotten that far before. 

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

25 minutes ago, Ryland Craze said:

Congratulations on finishing your Bluenose.  It is a beautiful model.  I am looking forward to your next build.

Thank you. Bluenose is easy in that she is beautiful in her own right and looks like she is going fast just sitting there. She's not hard to make pretty.

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

Completed

• 1 month later...

One more: I had a case custom built through Nick Melchin at Pro Model Builders in Vancouver. I've worked with Nick on a variety of projects in the past and always come away impressed with his skill and sheer versatility; he's built everything from architectural models, to scale product replicas, wargaming terrain, movie props and a great deal besides. And so it came to pass that he built a display case for the first large scale wooden model ship that I have built and I couldn't be happier with it.

In particular, I'm just delighted to see it without its construction cradle that was composed of two rice filled socks.

20210120_140732.thumb.jpg.067f74daffa5d77f6cf9ea6ca504085e.jpg

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

Completed

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, Yorky said:

Your model looks so nice; you must be very proud of it. Your advice about treating every piece as its own project, walking away, and re-doing parts you're not happy with is absolutely spot on.

Thank you for sharing your build and words.

Thank you for your kind words! Building wooden models is very different from the plastic, resin and metal ones I have experience with-- be it a kit or a bespoke architectural model, and it requires a different mindset too... but the end result can be very beautiful and something just feels right about building a model of a wooden ship out of wood.

Under Construction

Completed

• 2 years later...

Nice build. I learned about standing and running rigging building the Mantua Cutty Sark.

If anyone is interested disolving beeswax in Turpentine and then adding dye creates a slick tight very manageable line.

A small jar with a U shaped extension that has a wheel at the bottom and two holes for the line entrance and exit works beautifully to dye and empregnate your rigging.

Just for information.

Building my second Bluenose now.

Oh, when your sails are bent and raised give them a good misting with water and a little starch. Set up a fan and set the sails, looks great when they have a little belly and are tight.