Rattlesnake by DmitriyMarkov - Model Shipways - 1:64

Tree-nailing turns out to be even more repetetive than planking or  making of  armoured  vehicles' running gear and tracks, so a good audio-book or a music concert is essential! Marking of a port-side took me a course of lectures on Franko-Prussian war of 1870 ,  Joe Bonamassa live from Royal Albert Hall  concert   and Francois Couperin Les Concerts Royaux  1722 CD 🙂  Now my daughter is watching Guardians of Galaxy and the whole movie length is just a one and a half row of nails )))

• 1 month later...

To all colleagues from around the globe - stay safe! That virus thing will end one day - that's for sure!

Meanwhile working from home due to anti-virus measures doesn't improve  the time I can spend on modelling ( how I hoped it would otherwice... ).

So today I have only this photo to share: only one side is nearly  finished and that's two months ( okay, there were two long holidays we've spent in a village so let that be a month and a half 😉  ) . So maybe by June I would be closer to paintwork.

IMG_6920.jpg

I like it...always wanted to build this one, some day.

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

tewatson, thank you for you kind words!  

Meanwhile I've finished tree-nailing lower part of the hull  (some pics to come of course). Now I'm trying to come closer to paintwork - main idea is to combine painted parts with oiled parts. I've made a "training cat" out of scrap wood strips, tree-nailed it a bit, then divided it in four stripes - one covered with tung oil, one painted with white Vallejo primer made by airbrush, one with couple layers of black Vallejo primer and one with more layers of black  et voila:

20200919_202230.thumb.jpg.45aef34dd6345646fc24d8f707276c20.jpg

Next I tried to follow the technology mr. Dmitry Shevelev uses in his beautiful models - a bitumen lacquer - to make the things look older:

20200920_100406.thumb.jpg.5e241e4268a7d9b6a67dc43f943548a9.jpg

Well, a bit too old and dirty in my opinion - good, that I didn't try it right on a model

🙂

So a bit training still needed.

To be continued!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, everyone!  How's the weather at your places?  We are enjoying a very pleasant indian summer in Moscow these days - I cannot remember when the weather was this good at the beginning of october.  Now I'm going to share a few pics - my main camera is malfunctioning so these were taken with a phone (sorry for quality). The progress is  quite modest however - tree nailing below the wale - it took almost half a year to do, molding under rails (figured profile made with special scriber). Now marking places for smaller tree nails upwards from wale.

04102.jpg

041003.jpg

04101.jpg

041004.jpg

041006.jpg

041005.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, dear colleagues!

Thank you for your kind words and likes! Hope everyone is safe!

There's no progress at all with Rattlesnake, but I've managed to bring back to life my old trustworthy Nikon D90 so  - here's a new "photo session" -now with better light conditions and less grain due to normal optics.

Here we go:

DSC_0006.thumb.jpg.dd908959d2b393d5f86379fa6341aa87.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, to rescue please 😉 

I beg you pardon my ignorance if I ask some obvious thing:    Looking through period ships builds I've noticed that most of them have those fancy elements on keel area -  horseshoe fore  and  swallow-tail at the aft.  They are very attactive details I must admit  and I'd like to introduce them on my model. However I've noticed that Model Shipways drawings lack either horseshoe and swallow-tail. What do you suggest - just do as I like, or would it be completely improper taking into account period and country ?  (I've read somewhere that the shipbuilder who built original Rattlesnake was a self-taught man so he could introduce different approaches in his projects instead of following but one school either French or English )

Thank you

Best Regards and happy modelling

• 4 months later...