New Ship Builder Old retired concrete buider

Very new to the ship building dream.  Having worked hard my whole life I need something to fill in my time when I hang it all up. The boats have always been so pleasing to me.  I just got back from a vacation in Maine. I made it a point to get to Blue Jacket and get my first kit. I chose the Lincolnville Wherry and drove to lincolnville to see the boat that Blue Jacket used for the kit. So this winter when the Chicago winds are blowing I will be holed up in the corner with plans and challenge to be a builder of ships.

Welcome to the site. I grew up in Chicago in the 1950-60's. I was a high school teenager when the '67 blizzard hit and the city stopped I remember someone built a boat of concrete to prove it would float. Anyway have fun with your new hobby. I live in Minnesota so I can empathise with your winters. Our advantage is that we are better prepared I think. Now that I don't have to work, I keep a couple days' food and so on just in case.

34 minutes ago, davidrasch said:

I remember someone built a boat of concrete to prove it would float

Ferrocement is actually a fairly common boat building material. I remember as a kid in Northern California (the real Northern California, not the Bay Area wannabe kind 😛) that one of the yards on Humboldt Bay produced ferrocement hulls.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks so much for the war m welcome.   My concrete building was the high rise floors or big box store floors and if nothing else was happening I went to road work. Boats seam so much more relaxed and the rat race will be self inflicted.  I sure plan on studying all I can before I tear into the kit.   thanks every one       Jim

Welcome to MSW! I wish you the best on your first build.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome to this great site.You have made a good choice with the lincolnville wherry. It is a very nice little model

I have one displayed in my living room.Good luck on your build.

Bob Porter randolph maine