US Brig Syren 1803 by Overworked724 – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64

Man…I really don’t like the way the copper patina ended up after a year in storage. I’m seriously considering ripping off the copper plating and committing to a full redo. 

:default_wallbash:

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

That's quite a statement. You may want to sleep on it. Can the copper be cleaned? Would you consider applying Renaissance Wax and leaving it bright after cleaning? Or cleaning and then using a different method to "age" it? Just wondering what options you have available. 

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Your copper hull looks fine. Do not destroy all that hard work.

I volunteer at the Navy Yard in Charlestown. I have seen the coppering of Constitution up closed. Do you know the size of a coppering nail? I looks like a 

furniture tack. The smaller the head the better the job. If your twenty feet away from 

the hull and you look at the hull it’s hard to see the nail heads.

Work on the upper parts of the model that will require a great of detailing.

If the upper part of the ship looks as good as the lower half you’re going to have a great model.

Also, how far are you from Tokyo? The Tokyo Rope club is a great group of Ship

Modellers. Try to contact them.

All my best

Tim Murphy

Thanks @CPDDET @Tim Murphy.  I'm still sleeping on it.  I decided to start with a redo of the hinges on the sweep port doors first.  Slowly eek my way in to modeling again...so I will save the decision on repeating the coppering for later.  It just looks dirty...no prints but there were some blemishes from the packaging that simply will not come out.  Not certain how to clean it without tearing the plates up.  However, those plates are stuck on beautifully...they just aren't beautiful copper anymore!

@Tim Murphy I actually know many folks from the Rope and recently (just a couple weeks ago) visited their 48th Boat show in Ginza district in Tokyo.  We live on the southern tip of Kyushu at present...so it's still a bit of a hike.

:pirate41:

There is a product made by Flitz out of Wisconsin. Supposedly spray on and rince, no scrubbing needed.

I have a very badly oxidized brass kick plate on our front door that hasn't been cleaned in 15 years. So I'm going to try this stuff. Brasso had little to no effect.

I'll keep you posted.

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

10 hours ago, CPDDET said:

There is a product made by Flitz out of Wisconsin. Supposedly spray on and rince, no scrubbing needed.

I'll keep you posted.

@CPDDET Thanks, Dave. Let me know. I’m coming in June for family business and plan to present at the MMS meeting. Are you able to attend that one?

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update to keep my thread alive. Shipyard is repacked. Moving again for (hopefully) the last time. If anyone has kept count…this will be the fourth time in the last year we’ve moved!  But our new house and my future little shipyard is around the corner!

On 4/25/2023 at 1:41 AM, Overworked724 said:

Man…I really don’t like the way the copper patina ended up after a year in storage. I’m seriously considering ripping off the copper plating and committing to a full redo. 

I believe that after a few months at sea copper plating turns green, brown, anything but 'copper' coloured. 😏

Good luck with your latest and perhaps last move. Four in a year is brutal, I've done three postings in the same period so I know. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not…I had to repack and unpack the shipyard…sigh. We are finally in our newly acquired home in Kirishima. I can thankfully restart my hobby without fear of having to move again. (He said hopefully)

My next post will be a progress update with pics … so help me God!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 7:57 AM, ccoyle said:

Hi! I hope you have finally had a chance to settle in for good and make some progress on your model?

We’ve been doing renovations on our house and I’ve been learning how to drive on the left side of the road!  But ship yard is together and I’m starting to eek back into my build!!