Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/24 scale - RESTORATION

Wayne:

Thanks.

By this time next year, they aim to have the new museum built. Right now they are in temporary quarters on the Edgewater shopping mall.

This model will not be on display anywhere except the Gabe's living room at his home. I have asked him a time or two to display it elsewhere and he quite rightly declined. :)

I will have with me this weekend a few skiffs and the Biloxi schooner model currently under construction.

Russ

Beautiful restoration work, Russ--she's a stunner!  Since I'm a huge schooner fan (love their lines), methinks I'll do some research into the similarities and difference between Biloxi and New England schooners (am guessing hull geometries and sail rigs).  Question:  In one of your posts, you mentioned schooner races.  Were these races similar to the Nova Scotia Fisherman's Races of the 20s and 30s--Gulf Coast working boats and crews?

Current Build:

Thanks for the kind words.

The principle similarity between Biloxi schooners and the Gloucestermen were that they were both work boats, both fishermen, and both two masted, gaff rigged schooners. The schooner rigs were similar, but the Gloucestermen were much larger.

Down here, the water is much more shallow, hence the broad beam, shallow draft, and the centerboard. The average size of the Biloxi schooners was about 50 ft on deck. The Gloucestermen were generally much larger, narrower for their length, and meant for deeper water.

The local schooner races were working boats with the crews racing along a triangular course set up by the yacht club. There were a few different classes based on hull size. The regattas were held annually, generally in July. There were regattas at Biloxi, as well as at Mobile, and nearby Pass Christian. You would also see our boats racing at the Southern Yacht Club regatta on Lake Pontchartrain near New Orleans. Competition could be very spirited. Lots of pride involved. The boat owners would pay good money to get the boats ready for the races, meaning repairing, scraping and painting, fresh cordage and canvas etc.

Hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

Russ

Gerty:

Thanks. Even though this project was done several years ago, it has been fun to go back over the photos. I learned a lot doing it.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ahoy Russ :D

That is one heck of a "redo"  

Beautiful work. I am sure I speak for many others when I say "Thanks for taking the time to post".

Looking forward to your next project.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thanks. This project has been done for several years now, but it is still one of my favorites.

My current project is a scratch built Biloxi schooner. See my signature. I just need to work in some time to make some progress on her. Not much modeling time lately.

Russ

• 6 months later...

Just to add my compliments to the growing list.

The finished model looks like a real tribute to these type of boats.  Seems like there was lots of love there.

Congratulations.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ken:

Thanks. This restoration was a good project and it is still one of my favorite builds.

Russ

• 10 months later...

Dear Russ,

I've just stumbled across your nice restoration of the Biloxi Schooner Model.

What puzzles me, is that the deck seems to be flat (from side to side). As far as I know, it is quite common, that ships have a so called "crown", so that the deck is curved not only in one direction, but in two directions.

Is this common to american Schooners, that they have only one curve? Can you tell so for all (especially old) Schooners, for all, East- and Westcoast, North and South? Or are there regional differences you know of?

That would help me a lot for a current project of mine.

Best regards,

Herbert

Herbert:

This was a restoration of an old model. Some elements of the hull were very good, others rather crude. The deck may have some crown or round up in it, but not much and it does have some sheer n it. I would not look at the deck of a model like this and try to draw any conclusions about real ships. 

In real schooners, all of them had a crown or a round up to the deck from side to side. That is a given and always goes without saying. All decks have some amount of fore and aft curve or sheer. The amount of round up and sheer can vary from deck to deck.

Russ

• The title was changed to Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/24 scale - RESTORATION