Supermarine Spitfire MK.I by Jörgen - Tamiya 1:48

Hi all. 

Here is another build log from me...again. I did a rethinking at home. Until now I have always had the idea to build what I am currently working on before I start a new build. This actually only result on pressure on me because often when I new kit is released or I find some kit that I am rally exiting on I buy them. But with the thinking that I need to build the old ones first this result in that they end up on the shelf and becomes "old ones" because the initial excitement is lost.  So from now on, when I buy a new kit (this don't correspond to the wooden ships because this i another matter) so will I build it directly. And then work my way backward in my collection instead. So here is my new build log over the new Supermarine Spitfire from Tamiya that I received at my birthday in June. I also want to have some easy builds at the side of Sherbourne.

cStoEFGPvfi7yRtevserBmmu7gV2NWzKUnMa2Qw9 

The Tamiya kits are wonderful and are always relaxing builds with minimal sanding and because the fitting is so good. Here is the content in the box:

x0cloDjY-4SVxO70cCSLt4lKSShyHjwIo8I-Z4kP

y1t5ctYOn2QTE0BZ7RRbqxVA8tu03ci-jVT5emsp

Here are the main tools that I am using when building plastic kits:

H0Eo3W4zmdHT0wKCWU6ixe--HcJEYERV3impyE5V

So lets begin. 

I start with the cockpit and here was it some ejector pins that were needed to fix. Shame on you Tamiya... 

vJxEM7GB887wOmnCjVgTNX6jJjS-3d0GaA90mdGf

I don't know if I did some mistake but there was a step on both sides between the upper and lower part of the fuselage. And also my often repeated problem with using to much Tamiya extra thin glue...

yWe9ZWbnETOuuRRqQHYI1JIG81bX8EL9KtMLBAFI

DRWLLpYPF8oWbMIZ9vB0ax_28G6o3tw78F6ghzlH

But this was easily fixed with some sanding. I use masking tape to protect details when I am sanding.

_I2_yRXU-s7Mte6VKdWCJKfp3pGss6lsz1j_zRq-

The cockpit is really good but some touches are needed to improve it. A 0.6 mm drill in this case.

_KdI8P6m6d0t6nA2W7MNxyv6j4HIladzIcISa581

Here is the assembled parts of the cockpit so you can see the high degree of detail.

3Q5iVeE13_IQclifT7lmBkv-r5TBWjVUFZpxOx19

3uBRBpA79b0Csp9ppsZwkJhpU-ukg0lJCCxL1RYk

And dry assembled

9YADIiNmeVxt0NBf3SNovMj5tHxpM3eFUNNMmJEN

After this I primed the parts. I use a mix of Mr paint primer and Mr hobby primer. I mixed them because my bottle of Mr paint primer was broken...

EmHTiHZMwQTjpX9q75vEF0EyRBe1HjvbLw8ywtC5 

All the details come to life when primer is applied. This is all for now.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

very nice start.........I never thought to drill out the holes in the bulkheads!  definitely will keep that in mind !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch