HMS Agamemnon by JamesT1 - Caldercraft - 1:64

That's nice plating job. I wonder if you shouldn't use the same method as with planks when you install drop planks when width goes less than half of the plank when you have to taper them. This will save you fitting these extra sharp and pointy fillings... I may be wrong just had a thought....

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

Tom,

I TOTALLY agree with you.   Do some kits give instructions to lay the planking like this?  It is not remotely close to how the hulls were planked and as a result, the appearance of many otherwise extremely nice models are ruined with this fantasized style of planking.   There is ton of information here at MSW on properly planking a hull so really no reason not to do it accurately.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Many thanks for the comments guys....  Tom I agree about laying the plates in the same manner as the planks,,,  this is my first try at this and I believe I improved as it progressed.....  I have Diana impatiently waiting in her box....  and when I do that then I may give that method a try...

Yves,,,,  good luck with your Bellona.....  I have found the plates enjoyable however it is very repetitive as you may have guessed...  I found it easier working on it for a couple of days,,,4 - 5 hrs per day then leaving it for a couple of days,,,  

Jim

Edited by JamesT1

Jim T

Current build:  HMS Agamemnon - Caldercraft - 1:64

On 1/21/2022 at 6:39 PM, yvesvidal said:

I have come to the stage where I need to copper plate my Bellona. I really dread that process since I have never done it before.

Your technique (and mistakes, too) will come handy when I tackle that monstrous project.

Yves

Morning Yves

One other wee thing...  I found that some plates have a small lip around the underside,, making them sit proud when placed on the model,,, I started scrapping the underside with a scalpel 2 or 3 times before placing them on the model..

Jim

Jim T

On 1/21/2022 at 8:36 AM, JamesT1 said:

After completing the port side I decided to try a different way os laying the copper plates for the Starboard side,, however I think I may have been a wee bit over enthusiastic and made an error...  

Working from the centre and up from the keel I laid them in layers, however at the waterline I laid then straight, resulting in a mismatch, circled in red..  I believe I should have just followed the natural curve of the plates up to the waterline...  so a wee bit of repairs to be done

wrong 1.JPG

20220120_130539.jpg

20220120_130547.jpg

Looking back through the photos, even although I had laid the plates differently I had also made this error on the port side without realising what I had done.... this probably cost me quite a few hours of work cutting plates to fit  ,,, 

So now I know for future projects,, never to old to lean

Edited by JamesT1

Jim T

Plates completed at long last,,,,,,,  that really tests your patience,,,,  couple of small repairs to take place after removing the plastic waterline strip I had put onto it.....

So starting work on the gun ports to ensure they are the correct size for the hatches

20220125_124831.jpg

20220125_124838.jpg

20220125_124927.jpg

20220125_190230.jpg

20220125_191633.jpg

Jim T

Nice work on the coppering!! 
to cut out the gun ports, I used a mould, that I made from plexiglass, works great 

and makes it much easier to cut them out. 

also very helpful when to place the brass trips. 

just my 2 cents, perhaps it is useful. 

04F93A51-B0DC-4C8C-B233-F54706FD8513.jpeg

9DF4C7C2-2239-4EA7-A413-21E5462A17A3.jpeg

0DABA261-DFC7-43FF-8368-C7A826130A29.jpeg

37ACFCC8-454B-4CC7-98DD-4FB41CBCBB24.jpeg