I just downloaded the free hobbyist version of Fusion 360.  I've been able to create new parts and save the files without issue.

The problem arises when I attempt to OPEN an Inventor 2011 or Inventor 2015 part file.

They (two different versions) upload fine.  I can see them in the project folder I created.

When I pick them and the menu opens there is no OPEN option displayed as when I opened the new parts I created and saved to the same project folder.

Does anyone have experience with this program; uploading/opening Inventor part files?

I also understand the program is supposed to convert the file to a Fusion 360 part extension but that didn't happen.  Does it happen after successfully opened in the program and then saved?  Or is it that it is the free hobbyist version and that function is not available in that free download??

Thanks for any help offered.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

Thanks for the reply.

I just discovered it only works with a paid supscription.

If you use the free hobbyist version the ipt files needs to be converted to an igs, stp or similar type file.

I tried this moments ago and it worked.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Now I just discovered STEP files are better than IGES files because they are newer, IGES is 20 years old and can convert with gaps or missing info.

still trying them both out.

Inventor LT (at $520 Canadian a year) is closer to what I am use to using and all my files are on my computer.

Fusion 360 for hobbyist is free, very similar, but cloud based... your stuff goes off site like all those celebrity photos that never should have seen the light of day.

I've read you can save to your hard drive and work on it.  I'll have to give this a try.  I am not a fan of having no choice but to have my files being "out there".

Is that privilege worth $520 a year?

Alan O'Neill

Alan, 

Will Inventor export the files to other formats like most of the 2D programs?  I'm not familiar with 3D so I have no idea what's a "good" file type and what's not.  I might be worth it for one year to get your files exported to something you can use.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fusin 360 saves your files in two locations: primo - in the cloud and secundo - inside the sofware allowing you to work offline. On the Preferences you can decide for how long to retain them there. The other option would be to transer your sketch to drawing and save it in PDF format for example. You can go back to  your sketch anytime and update it ( measurements ea.) on both - design and drawing. 

In regards to transferring older files, it's challenging indeed to get it without paying a fee. 

Cheers, JR

Hi Alan, I just went to the website for Fusion 360 it only comes up with a free 30 day trial.  How did you get the free, non time limited version?

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jeez, sorry for not answering that question Derek... I didn't get an e-mail notification of your posting.

So I am still tooling about with Fusion 360 and Inventor LT (2020 version) with about 20 days left in the free trial for the Inventor.

I had successfully create a Project to put my 3D hull models and rebuilt my assembly.

On Saturday Fusion would not let me make a new Project to insert my ropewalk design models.

Try as I might it will not cooperate.

I checked on the board and there seems to be a glitch they don't explain but they need to perform some tweek at their end.

So I posted my problem in the support group, requested help and an explanation.

Sunday, no success... and no one in support viewed my request.

Monday, no success... and 10:54 am... no one viewed my request.

hmmm.

New Project - operation failed.JPG

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

So the answer to my latest problem is that the user must join Fusion Team, create your own "team" of one, and away you go.

This seems to be what they are migrating towards.

If so why don't they just delete the personal hub option from the new program downloads?

Fusion Team was created to answer the problem of businesses having employees with company models on the employees personal data log in the cloud.  If the employee leaves the company they still have the models.  Plus it was difficult to manage who gets access to projects or files in projects.  With the Team creation the business company administrator controls it all and it all remains with the business.

That makes sense to me.

Alan O'Neill