HMS Victory by MTP001 - Caldercraft - Scale 1:75 - First wooden ship build by Mark

A bold project - I have been building scratch built RC aircraft from the age of 17 and am now 59. I have little or no experience building model ships but having been in the Royal Navy and lived near Portsmouth, UK then HMS Victory was an obvious choice. I will log all my efforts and hopefully other novices will benefit from my expected mistakes. I used to live in Bournemouth and had a great workshop with just about every tool imaginable collected over the years. I now live in New York and space is at a premium! I have a limited workspace and literally no tools so I had to buy everything and make my workspace as compact as possible. Not ideal but hey I dont have a choice if I want to build this ship model, so I'm gonna have to be efficient and tidy :) - I welcome any comments good or bad.

Hi Mark,

Without doubt a bold choice for your first model ship! Having said that I should own up and admit that it so happens that it is my own 'second' build and as a relative novice I can appreciate where you're coming from. You're in for a great journey and joining this forum is probably the best thing you could have done to help you on your way, There are some stunning build logs here and I could not have made the progress I have without the sage advice of other members. Many build logs are now my first port of call when tackling new and challenging stages. Of the builds currently under way I recommend the work of 'Bertu' as a good starting point but there are also many others - using the search function to find these builds is time well spent. As for helping other novices to benefit from your expected mistakes, take look at my log - I made some real howlers!

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eveyrone thanks for the encouraging words. I know I am at the limit of my abilities but hey isnt thats what life is about. I will get some images up asap. The first test of my ability and something Ive never tackled before is the First Planking ie getting the bow correct the stern seemed not too bad.

Build Stage: Hull Construction
Date: Dec 12, 2019

My first silly mistake was glueing Bulkhead 1 - I am using Aliphatic Glue the same glue I use for buidling Model Aircraft. Its probably a bit over the top and its super strong. To remove Bulkhead 1 just needed te glue soaking in Vinegar and with a bit of effort it cam efree eventually without damage.

glueingbulkhead1.jpg

Edited by MTP001
Added Build Stage and Date

Build Stage: Hull Construction
Date: Dec 13, 2019

30 minutes of soaking for the dummy barrel strips made an easy fit. This was of course where I found out that I should not have glued the Bulkhead 1. Removing Bulkhead 1 and pushing the dummy barrel strips all the way through to touch Bulkhead 18 followed by replacing and glueing in place Bulkhead 1.😯

adddingdummystrips.jpg

Edited by MTP001

Mark, looks like a good start!  Go slow, it makes for a more melodious outcome. 
Mark

Edited by Bossman

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans.