Brig Badger by maltbyguy - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/64

Hi Andy. It looks like I have the honor of being the first in your build log to welcome you to this awesome website! You will definitely find a wealth of information from the very experienced builders here. The moderators and administrators are great and work hard to keep things running smoothly. You will get a lot of encouragement (in the form of "oohs" and "aahs") and most criticism is written/typed with a very soft touch. It looks like you have things well in hand with your Badger so far. With all that being said, I also get to be the first to tell you that your planking looks great.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

The additional pictures are great. As for whether or not to paint, it's all your personal preference. Many folks on here prefer to leave the planking while others are sticklers for historical accuracy and paint or put on the copper. If it were up to me, I'd let the planking be as it looks like you have done an excellent job.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Nice work :)  The Badger is a fun model to work on - small, but lots of details.  I'm onto the running rigging on mine, and am happy to answer questions if you should have any.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 10 months later...

Nice job!  Any plans for your next build?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the encouragement

I am not sure about the next project Mike I fancy a pof model but not sure if I have the talent to do it justice I also am a back room modeler so all the sanding and sawing wouldn't go down well with the neighbors

Any ideas ??

That's a great looking Badger!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I guess it depends on what kind of ship are you interested, the scale, POB vs. POF, kit vs. scratch, etc.  I'm moving up in difficulty by starting the Corel Unicorn and the MS Charles Morgan as my next builds.

If you like Caldercraft, I've seen Badger builders move to ships like the Granado, the Cruiser and the Snake for next builds.

Mike

Yes Mike I like caldercraft I have already finished Agamemnon and mars

I fancy an admarlry style plank on frame but kits seen to be non existent here in the UK

And as I said being a backroom builder with neighbors all the noise scratch build might causeproblems

Andy Griffith

Oh wow, you're a pro then :)  Hopefully someone else can guide you the right way.

Have you taken a look at the Euromodel kits?  The kits are probably the best I've seen, and give you plenty of options to add details to the build.  I have the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde, and it looks like an incredible kit with fantastic plans.  I just need a few more models under my belt before I can attempt to do the kit justice.

Mike

Hi Andy,

I've just seen your completed Badger; it looks very impressive indeed - gives me inspiration to complete my first build.

Regards from your neighbour down the road,

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

It's coming on fine Andy and thankfully I've avoided a lot of (but not all!) beginner mistakes by getting a great deal of advice, particularly from Eamonn.

Kind Regards,

David 

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777