Proxxon or microlux

Won't be long and I'll be in need of a bench top drill press.

I've been looking at Proxxon and Microlux. Both have available XY tables, machine vice and chuck. 

The top rpm on the Proxxon is higher, 8500 vs 6500 for the Microlux. Proxxon claimed their drill press can be used for milling as well. Don't see that claim for Microlux.

What's the opinion of those with experience with these tools?

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

You can use a mill for drilling but you shouldn't use a drill for milling.  The bearings on the drill are made for that.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave. 

I only have the mill, no drill press.   It works for when I to drill but so far, it hasn't been that often.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Drill presses are intended for vertical motion of the tool. As mentioned above, the bearings are designed for this. You can do simple milling with a drill press if you have a moveable X-Y table, but only for very light work. Horizontal movement of the work piece will stress the bearings, and eventually they will wear and the centering of the tool will become sloppy.

A milling machine is just a more sophisticated drill press that is designed for cutting in the horizontal and vertical directions. But milling machines have much higher precision than drill presses. Some mills have motorized tables to achieve a very constant rate of movement for fine finishes. They have variable speed motors to allow matching tool speed with the type of material being machined. The tables usually have provision for lubricant collection. They have more precise horizontal controls, often with digital readouts for very precise cutting. And there are accessories that allow an amazing variety of operations - often at an amazing additional cost!

So what do you want to do? Drilling, or drilling and milling? Select the proper tool for the job.