The Trafalgar Chronicles  # 4

Peter Hore -Editor

Seaforth Publishing, 2019

Softbound: $20.00 – 239 pages – Non-Fiction

Order: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/  and also various book sellers

Trafalger.jpg.0f89bb9131615a57736f70fd4db79aae.jpg

This is the fourth in series of The Trafalgar Chronicles from the The 1805 Club and is themed on the people of Nelson’s time, his friends and his contemporaries, the battles they fought, as well as the technical and scientific changes taking place at the time.  The 24 chapters are well referenced with footnotes supporting each chapter.  This volume also contains 7 pages of color plates.  Through out maps, drawings, and artwork along with a few plans where warranted.

CONTENTS :

President’s Foreword – Admiral Sir Jonathon Band

Editor’s Foreword – Peter Hore

The Decaturs, the Lehmans, and the Privateers – John Lehman

The Summer Before Trafalgar: The Journal of Benjamin Sillman – Susan K. Smith

Nelson was an Irishman – Das Grant

Sin Bo’suns in Nelson’s Ships – Lynda Sebbage

The Role of Women in London’s Sailortown in the 18th Century – Kenneth Cozens & Derek Morris

North America’s Seafaring Cities – Harold E. “Pete” Stark

Loyalist Mariners during the American Revolution – Tom Allen

Admiral George Augustus Westphal – Tom S. Iampietro

Admiral Philip Wetphal – T. Jeremy Waters

Admiral of the Fleet Sir Provo William Perry Wallis – Jeremy B. Utt

Lieutenant Richard Bulkeley – Jack R. Satterfield

Admiral Sir Manley Dixon, KCB – Andy Zellers Frederick

Rear-Admiral Thomas Tudor Tucker – Andrew a Zellers Frederick

Captain William Gordon Rutherfor, CB – Anna Kiefer

Rear-Admiral John Peyton: A Personal and Professional Re-Appraisal  – Barry Jolly

The Beach of the English Dead: Remembering Captain Conway Shipley – Rui Ribolhos Filipe

Russian on the Tagus – Mark West

Bringing Up Franklin’s Baby: A Short Account of the Advent of the Balloon and It’s Adaption to Naval Warfar – Anthony Cross

The Carronade: A Revolution in Naval Warfare – Anthony Bruce

The Battle of St. George’s Cay, 10 September 1798 – Michael Harris

Captain John Perkins – Douglas Hamilton

Contributor’s Biographies

Color Plates

Notes

REVIEW

When I first received this book and then read the two forewords, I was worried it was going to be a bit stuffy, perhaps pompous even.  Not so.  Overall, I found the book fascinating and, for the most part, very readable. The articles give a powerful insight into some well-known persons and some not so well known as well as several battles and other events that may not be well known to many readers.  There is so much in this book that I am putting it on my bookshelf with my other books to re-read it again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The first 3 volumes are very good.  I agree on the 'not overly stuffy'.  Sometimes academics tend to write just for other academics but these seem to be well presented in a very readable form.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ah,  a man after my own heart.  I haven't had Graham's in ages.  Good book also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)