HMS Winchelsea - by mfrazier

20200319_183504.thumb.jpg.aa56f57671043f010527b075515fd638.jpg

I got the rest of the bulkheads cut out. What a grueling process it was. I found out that I am not a master of the scroll saw.  Thank God for the disc sander.  I was all over the place with the saw cuts. I just stayed WAYYYY outside the lines and ground them back to the lines. There must be a trick to making that saw go where you want it to, but I sure don't know it. I couldn't control it. I thought I  would have got better towards the end  ..... but I  didn't. 

Well now that is done I can get to the rabbit strip when it arrives.  I am looking forward to this build. I am now thinking about ways to rip the planking when I  get the blocks.

Everything is glued and all seems square and straight. The hull is very solid. I am ready to start fairing the outside of the hull  and a little finish sanding on the keel. After that I  can start the gun port frames.  

20200322_004941.thumb.jpg.172f90b31c450551ec1aa0cd5a0a7c3d.jpg

20200322_004909.thumb.jpg.8255f9ce57f57f2f33d1a5cb5d5cda70.jpg

20200322_004854.thumb.jpg.893dd8e26abb009451b0f03fea19a49a.jpg

I recieved the chapter one and chapter two kits and the quality and fit is absolutely amazing.  Chuck has done an amazing job on these kits.

Well , I  have a problem  but I  will be able to work with it. Like I  said, I  discovered I was not a master of the scroll saw. I couldn't get that thing to control for nuthin' . Only after I  got everything cut out ,I  broke the blade and put a little bigger blade in and WOW.... I can follow a line with ease. But too late now. Some of the slots in the bulkheads were a little rough and filling them straight, I got some a little off. This throws them way out at the outside.  Sooooo.... there are a few bulkheads that will have to be shimed on one side and ground off on the other side. It will make planking a real chore, but I  think I  can overcome the problems caused by my inability to run that saw. I rough faired the hull to get an idea of how much trouble I was in. I am putting in the gunport frames now and will Fair it some more. I will post pics when the gunport frames are done. The hull looks okay until I  lay a plank along it. Then I see the low and high spots.  I will sand the high spots and shim the low while planking.

Edited by mfrazier
Spelling