From time to time I need some flags or other graphic drawings for my projects. Earlier I was using Corel Draw which is a vector based program and very useful for these tasks. Unfortunately a few months ago my old computer crashed together with Corel Draw. I was immediately downloading a free trial version but that is accessible only for 30 days. Buying new version is out of question because of high price.

Does anybody know any other free or affordable graphic design software which would have nearly same features as Corel has? I was already testing Inkscape but results are not very promising, even after learning and reading through numerous tutorials available.

Moxis, 

If you have had a correct licens from the beginning and have the key saved, you should be able to re-start your Corel Draw.

Inkscape is tricky to work with, well at least for me.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Do you need the flags to be showing the effects of wind?  If it is the rectangular flat version, then the dynamic effects that vector provides are not needed.

A raster based graphics program should do. Straight lines will work.  I work at 1:48 for plans and the short segments that make a hull cross section be facets instead of a smooth curve, still work for me.

GIMP is free, PhotoShop is subscription,  PaintShop Pro is low cost,  and Painter is too expensive unless you want to use a computer to actually paint a picture.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks Per and Jaager. My Corel version was many years old, I think it was #7 or near. No key or anything left, so I think it is not possible to restart it any more.

GIMP might be nice. I have to study it more carefully. I don't need this software very often, so don't want to invest hard earned money for it.

Go with Gimp or Inkscape, they are both free and will serve the purpose. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Just downloaded Inkscape and it looks like a very capable piece of software and you can't beat the price.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I believe that Corel still offers the "Student/Home" version relatively inexpensive as it's a one time purchase and not a month-to-month type as are their other products.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)