Boulogne Etaples by popeye the sailor- Billing Boats - 1:20 scale kit

I fixed that crap at the rudder shoe.........the starboard side was done the same way as the port side.

post-612-0-05932400-1370650871_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07516000-1370650882_thumb.jpg

it was filled in in good time.

post-612-0-66095700-1370650955_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68898100-1370650966_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-20130200-1370650975_thumb.jpg

after some sanding,  it was put on it's stand.

post-612-0-37088200-1370650988_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-15039300-1370651036_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23104900-1370651047_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-09288000-1370651062_thumb.jpg

the pilot house was fitted on.......

post-612-0-07908400-1370651111_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-64558700-1370651122_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-91638900-1370651132_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04743000-1370651144_thumb.jpg

this brings the build up to date......... ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great progress! Funny thing....the hull looked like that of a much larger ship until the pilot house was added. She's looking very good!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

thanks Sherry.......I love the size of this build.   I think you can see why I want to base the multi build on this hull. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice job getting that planking on and smooth Popeye.  I really like the stand.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Off and running nicely Popeye!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Good job on the planking.  Looks like you're having fun.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think you can see why I want to base the multi build on this hull.

Multi build ??! :huh:  :blink:

Am I missing something here?

Just what exactly ARE you upto?

And more importantly.... should I be concerned for your well being?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Yeah, ditto Andy.... I missed something?? :mellow:

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thank you everyone for the good word.  the sanding I've done so far, made the hull look good,  but it's got a ways to go yet before I can paint.  I wouldn't be putting too much into the multi build.........I haven't even started them yet.   I want to do three boats,  built off the beaten path.   the concepts are still a bit sketchy.....only one of them have a definite theme.   my thought at the moment,  is to get the hulls assembled,  and then I can see where to go after that.  I wish I could say more......all will come to light when I start the log.  thanks again for you kind comments.....more will come soon :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

We shall wait patiently for the fog to lift and unveil your latest inspiration !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Just what exactly ARE you upto?

And more importantly.... should I be concerned for your well being?

Andy

Yes, Andy, we should all be concerned, but he's fun to watch anyway.  :D  :D  :D

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Sawdust, hadn't thought of that, Andy, good move. 

Bob

you guys..........that's why I love this site....you folks are just the greatest collective sorts,  I've ever had the chance to meet!  :)    it won't be for a while yet........unless the admiral badgers me { she's been quite since our last conversation}.   however......every time we find ourselves in hobby lobby,  or other places that sells wood,  she asks me if I need any.  we were in home Depot last week......I have been wanting to see what they have of the 1/4 inch {small sheets} of plywood.....like the modeling sheets I normally buy.  she wasn't happy until i walked out of the store with a 2 x 4 foot sheet of oaken plywood {it was the best they had}.  believe it or not,  I paid less for it than I would have for 2  of the 6 x 24 inch sheets of the modeling plywood!   it was so funny!......she'd see an imperfection,  and tell me to choose another.....I love it!  I didn't have the heart to tell her that it didn't matter.......this was for frame parts.  she's doing her part.......and I'm not going to stop her.......I count myself very lucky.  so,  Andy.....Sjors,  and Bob....  you don't have to worry.......my admiral will keep me in check.   yes.....I do have a few thing in this demented mind of mine........I think you will enjoy them when I finally get them going.  for now though........I have other builds to keep me entertained.

oh, before I forget........wafting me with a pillow of sawdust won't do you any good..........it's what got me into this predicument in the first place.........breathing in the exhaust from the scroll saw....the smell of the paint.........I'm hopelessly hooked! ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I appreciate that Andy........the Boulogne sits for the moment.........I've done what I set out to do.   doing some of the planking for the Half Moon,  is giving me time to think of the best starting place for the Gothenborg.  I also have to get a move on with the sails for my friend,  I have them cut out....now I need to sew.   never a dull moment at the wharf  ;)    thanks,  my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think back, not very long ago, to when Popeye started the Dual Build. What's left besides the 'Triple Play'???????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

if I didn't over do the initial build,  there wouldn't have been a dual build.  I hope the subject overrides the fact that it will be a multi build........Ijust hope it works as well in wood,  as it does in my mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 6 months later...

yes......the multi - build is under way.......most of the cat is out of the bag.  towards the end of the partial planking job I was doing.......I thought I'd dust this little bugger off and work on some of the sub assemblies.  I started off with the gallows......plenty of small assemblies involved with it.  the upper part of it is nothing but a bunch of bits and pieces.   hopefully I can do this without much painting.......if any at all.

post-612-0-12712900-1397082114_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-29368600-1397082137_thumb.jpg

then there is the bottom section of the gallows...

post-612-0-03036900-1397082153_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-47598600-1397082171_thumb.jpg

and the tops again......

post-612-0-41953200-1397082194_thumb.jpg

then....there is the net spool

post-612-0-06889400-1397082218_thumb.jpg

the large pulleys are in three parts......to align them,  I used a brad.   looking in the kit,  they only supply these really thin ones,  so I dug out a couple of 10mm brads to do it.

post-612-0-64284000-1397082241_thumb.jpg

later I can file and sand the edges round.......I can do all that when I get around to painting.  the carriage for the net spool was assembled next.

post-612-0-89676200-1397082311_thumb.jpg

the pilot house roof is in two parts.....

post-612-0-72367500-1397082338_thumb.jpg

the center shaft of the net spool,  needs to have holes drilled into both ends......to center these holes,  I took a piece of clear cello,  and drew cross hairs on it.   after measuring and adjustments were made,  the holes were drilled.

post-612-0-83548000-1397082378_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-17877100-1397082403_thumb.jpg

I noticed that some separation of the plywood plys had occurred with the lower gallow post tops.  some cement was used to glue them back together.

post-612-0-42774400-1397082428_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

....and what of the big hole in the deck.   I was a bit puzzled how this was to work out.   I first built the frame for it.

post-612-0-56421900-1397082639_thumb.jpg

.......even put some corner pieces in it to strengthen it.

post-612-0-89375200-1397082663_thumb.jpg

I saw one part........#14.......this is the platform,  set in between #5 & #6 ribs,  that one would affix the motor to......I didn't put it in.   the way the frame is made......it is to be removable,  to access the innards,  in the event it was made R/C.

post-612-0-97600200-1397082677_thumb.jpg

I was looking for part #22....the top for the frame.  this was not included in the kit.  if the parts panels could have been done with this in mind.......refer to the beginning of this build,  for the parts arrangement in the panels...you'll see what I'm talking about.   it's OK..........I made one.

post-612-0-72677300-1397082691_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80645300-1397082711_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27838600-1397082728_thumb.jpg

when it fit well enough in the hole,  it was cemented onto the frame.  centering this assembly was a real pain........I'm sure I can make adjustments.

post-612-0-67553500-1397082750_thumb.jpg

yepper...........looking at all these hulls together.......makes me think of the work I have ahead of me.   I like this hull design......too bad I may never get another one from the templates.   the fun continues  :)

post-612-0-94846300-1397082769_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry I missed your post John......I keep forgetting to check  {I should remember how fast you folks are :D :D }     I did a little sanding on the hull as well........I think I'm going to wait till the other three hulls are ready.    then I can have a HUGE paint fest ;)    there is a lot of sub assemblies to do on this one.........yea,  that gallows is going to be pretty neat,  once it's done  :)   thanks for looking in.

thanks for the like,  Augie  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Are you sure that's not a picture of Santa's workshop?  :P  :P

Bob

Ships, ships,  EVERYWHERE!

Love it!    Keeps reminding me I am not crazy nor am I working on "too many"  I just point to popeye and say see!  In good company!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull