Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About SkerryAmp

  • Birthday 01/17/1971

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Merrimack, NH
  • Interests
    Modeling, Guitar, Music, Reading, Coding and Gaming.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,666 profile views
  1. Well here we are again! As I continue to try to get all the exterior battens back into place I hit a spot where it felt time to get the forecastle deck done. I figured this part was in very good shape so let's git r done. I started by popping the false deck out of the sheet and then cutting strips to be used as the actual decking. Very simple stuff really.... thank goodness I still had my Chopper! Before I put the decking on I wanted to simulate the caulking. I know there are many different ways to do this and just as many "tastes" as to what peo
  2. Thank you kind sir! By all means pull up a chair, beer and popcorn in the corner. It is a little slow going as I am spending a LOT of time trying to figure out ways around some holes I put myself in, so there may be delays between posts, but it will get there - by hook or by crook it will get there!!
  3. Scratchbuild - just the thought intimidates me to no end. You have an awesome run going - looks great!
  4. Great start - nice and straight - interested to see this play out. Looks like I have the first seat - yay for me! Guess that means I am responsible for the beer and popcorn! Carry on good sir!
  5. Welcome Guy! You came to the right place - no shortage of good advice and encouragement around here. As for your first build, a lot of good advice so far the only thing I would say is make sure it is something that interests you, that will keep you engaged! Looking forward to whatever you start with!
  6. UP THE IRONS! (Nice to see another fan!) As for the topic at hand! Don't Leave Me Now - Pink Floyd (The Wall) 1979
  7. Oh, fear not you have certainly gained some experience - your work is awesome! One thing this little hiatus has given me is patience - a lot! So it is with a new look on life in general I re-approach the hobby! Let's see if it pays off. I have added to the Santa Maria for now. The Harriet Lane and Willie are DOA. Time was not good to them at all and neither kit was in a state to recover from with any form of grace - very sad really. The Santa Maria is the most open to picking back up on once I cleaned it up a bit - had a spider living in the hold of all things! The mayflowe
  8. Thank you sir! Yeah - just a rough 3 years where life set it sights on us and just kept sucker punching - but (knock on wood, throw salt whatever it takes) looks like it is behind us, for now at least 😃
  9. I have found that sanding it out and using the pre stain conditioner you mentioned is a must, especially on basswood. I have never had it go evenly without it. I have the syren, but have not dared to start building it but as for the reference photo - that looks like it is either a natural stain or a very lightened golden oak. I use Golden Oak a lot but always cut it with natural stain to lighten it up and take that dark edge off. That all being said your photo does not look that bad at all, especially since it will be obfuscated some what by the hatch. I think you are doing great
  10. Hmmm, something tells me you have done this modeling thing before Nice work!
  11. So next up we have the forward arch. Of course the plywood is not pre formed so it is very stiff and while it could be muscled into place I no longer apply brute force - so soaking, bending and strapping it is! That part went surprisingly well, so once dried and formed I slapped on the veneer (I think in the future I am going to stay away from veneer - something about it is odd) And then - after carefully trimming - we attach it to the forecastle and things are starting to move forward! Next up! The forecastle deck! E
  12. Thanks Louie - appreciate the kind words. That is my ultimate goal, make this better than I would have back then and then continue that momentum forward! So far so good - I think
  13. POPEYE! So, I come back after 3 years and see you have decided to dominate not just the seas, but the land and air as well! Damn my friend - busy busy busy! I have so enjoyed going through your work - I grew up in the plastic world, worked in a hobby story around here even - Eric Fuch's, managed the one in Nashua and Burlington for several years. That is where the bug hit - loved the plastic world and it just brings me such joy to see work being done there. Sometimes makes me sad that modelling overall has diminished in popularity but love that people like yourself and oth
  • Create New...