KAROO 1930 by Mark Pearse - FINISHED - 1:12 - 20' open sailing boat half model - SMALL

A beautiful and elegant presentation of a nicely designed boat.  I have to admit, when you were posting about polishing that piece of stainless steel, I thought to myself,  “It’s not going to happen,” but you did it beautifully. Well done!

A question:  I missed the decision to add the propeller aperture.  Why did you decide to add it when the model was almost finished?

Roger

Hi Roger, 

Good question, & the answer is a bit long perhaps.....I decided to do that cutaway for the propeller when, fairly late in the build, I looked back at the drawings & saw that the cutaway is shown. So although parts of the boat as shown are speculative (the drawing doesn’t show the rig, cockpit aperture, rudder/tiller or centreboard), I wanted the hull to be as accurate to the design as I could make it. If the model is for myself I could do what I wanted - but in this case the model will be with other half models on a wall of our sailing club, where the designer was a member for most of his life. So, I have been mindful of the place of a model to be a kind of history. Few people will take the trouble to look at the drawings but lots will see the model. It’s a minor detail, but I was swayed by the knowledge that having it the same size & shape as the drawing would be an indicator of the effort to be accurate in the hull. 

A great trophy for the club and a well executed half model, beautifully presented Mark.  Take a bow and all due kudos.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone

Hi Druxey, I proposed this Trophy (most sailing clubs have a lot of trophies, so additional ones are not always welcomed) to encourage classic yachts from other clubs to sail with us (The Sydney Amateur Sailing Club). We have a Sunday non-spinnaker classics series, & one race from this series becomes an 'invitational' race, so open to casual entries from anyone. To make it more interesting a bottle of whisky & your name on the trophy are both on offer - so at the annual prize giving day you get to have the trophy on your table & take the whisky home. It's pretty amazing what people will do for a bottle of whisky & some sparkly silverware, but it's all part of the fun.

When the trophy is up on the wall, I'll post a picture of it.

• 4 weeks later...

And now the half model, with trophy name plate, is up on the wall of our sailing club. It has some interesting company.

IMG_9477.thumb.jpg.c4ac008d5a64fed862054905adce5be5.jpg

IMG_9478.thumb.jpg.d8d4a2db7ed87b96c00943918f490771.jpg

IMG_9480.thumb.jpg.f64aa20b8a5a0be3d966024acf48c6f0.jpg

IMG_9479.thumb.jpg.1e040a54c4166b3171c2efa7d2103673.jpg

Looks nice in-situ Mark, NO make that very nice.  The 'Oberon' submarine trophy raises all sorts of imagination - underwater yacht racing?  - yacht that shipped the most water?  ;) :)  or are you 'Neutral Bay based?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat

Ha! Yes the submarine 'Platypus Trophy' is a curious one for a sailing  club. I don't recall what the connection is....

A couple of the grander sailing clubs have some very nice models - if you're in town, The Squadron (Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron) & CYC (Cruising Yacht Club of Australia), up in Pittwater the Royal Motor Yacht Club - they all have great collections. Notable is the CYC's half model of every handicap winner of the Hobart.