Gretel by Gregory – Mamoli/Dusek - Scale 1:54

With the extra leisure  time on my hands I decided to break out another kit from my stash to have more to do while waiting for the glue to dry on my Resolution.

Mamoli/Dusek Gretel

20200426_221132.jpg.c021a0f3bdabd55e6d70ff8aa9c5047e.jpg

This will be my 2nd time around with this kit.   For some reason I am attracted to Mamoli kits. even though they have their shortcomings compared to some of the other manufacturers.

My modeling goal is more of an art piece rather than an historically correct masterpiece,  and since some Mamoli kits seem rather whimsical in some respects, that may be why I am attracted to them.

I was attracted to Gretel because it looked small and simple, and the sort of thing that would make a nice gift for a family member.  I have a sister-in-law who was bugging me for a ship model, so that was what happened to the first kit; which I enjoyed building and led me to do it again.  I have some pics in the Gallery as seen in my signature.

This is the new Dusek resurrection of the kit, and it includes some features that myself and others might find as an improvement over the original Mamoli kits.

Mamoli says that Gretel is based on a Chapman drawing, and the lines confirm that.  Mamoli has made their own changes to some details, but not to the detriment of the model as far as I’m concerned. The changes mostly consist of simplifying some of the ornate work.

ChapmanGretel.jpg.67a3ebcd1904830955d4f970de65f125.jpg

Duplicating that Chapman counter would be an interesting and challenging endeavor.  (... Hmmm,  Laser engraving might be an option. )

20200426_221745.jpg.ae9c0bdae6aef0cca19a611765c9366a.jpg

Here is an overview of the kit contents.

The relatively small number of parts compared to some of the monster kits we see, is refreshing in my opinion.

I just realize I didn't include a picture of the wood package, but it is a typical bundle of sticks and looks to be of good quality.  I will report any

problems if I encounter any.

Dusek has added a lot of laser cut parts, and they are a better fit than the stamped parts that Mamoli used to include.  

Dusek has added separate laser cut stem, keel and stern post, whereas Mamoli used to have you create those parts by applying veneer to the one piece backbone. 

I think the separate parts make for a better look, but the way Dusek has designed them is presenting some possible challenges.  More on that later.

Dusek has also replaced most of the cast ornamentation that was in the old Mamoli kit with some laser engraved pieces.  The wood is dark, and the details are there, but don’t show up as well in person, as they do in this picture.  I’m going to have to think about how to bring out the detail.  I don’t like to paint, but that may be part of the solution.

NewGretel3.jpg.ecca033c281291a1c3aaa6d6a462e5bf.jpg

Brass2.jpg.c190a38f304a213ed56a74b938f38cb5.jpg

There are a few etched brass parts, which should make for a better finish in some areas than we had with the original kit.

I struggle to build out of the box, because I’m always seeing ways to do things differently.  That may have a lot to do with why it takes me so long to complete a kit. 

I am going to do my best to build this out of the box for the most part, because I think that helps others see that the kit should be all that you need to end up with a nice model.  However, I know I won’t be able to resist changing some details here and there, which I will point out when it happens.

I am actually a few hours into the build, so I will post an update soon.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Here is a tip when considering Mamoli/Dusek kits.

Most retailers will have the new Dusek kits, but if you are shopping on eBay etc., you may see the original Mamoli versions.

1512486063_OldBox.jpg.e1deca2de0a0b1e84d75fee6e18cc464.jpg

This is what the box looks like for the older kits, and it will be similar for kits other than Gretel.

1380308909_NewBoxSmall.jpg.de9177b02bec6428447e12a5eee8973e.jpg

The Dusek kits will look like this.  Some of the older kits have not been reissued yet, but a lot/most of them have.

—MICHAEL ROSE

The laser cut keel and stem are a nice improvement over the old design.

However, I would have preferred if the pieces defined the rabbet and the bearding line.

Backbone.jpg.02a1f115f82a9a8f7c37beb3aa4d3f96.jpg

This shows where the plans define the rabbet and the bearding line. The dark area under the overlaid plans is where the laser cut parts actually sit along the backbone. ( The placement of bulkhead #2 is an error on the plans, but doesn't affect the build. )

The plans, btw, are pretty much a duplicate of the old Mamoli plans, except where they illustrate the new parts, but provide nothing in the way of explaining how the building of the kit would be any different.

NewqBB.jpg.b130954554a520315b18023d1dd3a4d3.jpg

Here is how I etched the rabbet and bearding line onto the laser cut parts.  I also etched the scarf onto the stem to add a little extra detail.

Jig.jpg.e518244f9b779ce0ab7daf2b0d35ff44.jpg

Here is my little jig for getting a tight fit of the parts.  The grey thing in the middle is a diving weight to keep the pieces flat while the glue is setting.

NewFrame4.JPG.1f9e2d00957efa549acf449f8c95f55b.JPG

A dry fit of the bulkheads is nice and tight.  I had to sand the slots a little bit, otherwise they were a little too tight.  The bulkheads are perfectly symmetrical, and match the plans perfectly.  Dusek has done a superior job in this regard.  The plywood is very good quality; the best I've seen in any kit.

NewFrame2.JPG.638c018e62a9e8e7ad3fcbc542058ed1.JPGNewFrame.JPG.51817c1d3baaeecb9134444a41f20720.JPG

I still need to do some fairing before I glue the frames together;  then on with the planking.

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE

Very interesting Gregory:

I built the old Mamoli version of this kit years ago, and I can see that the Dusek version has made some significant changes - most of which (especially the laser carved wood parts) seem to be an improvement. A fun little ship to build for sure and I look forward to following you the second time around!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy