Another Airbrushing Noob

I recently got an amazing deal on an older but never used Iwata airbrush and compressor package. (see what have you received today thread)

20200428_191613.jpg.a05d49e87b535721c51e32750aa72f5e.thumb.jpg.3625f954f960a04b6dab55ec08258bcb.jpg

As you can see it came with a very nice Iwata Eclipse siphon feed airbrush. My question is would it be worth while to get a gravity feed also? Are there advantages to one over the other or is it more personal preference. It seems like the siphon would be more for larger jobs where a lot of paint is required where the gravity would work better for finer details? I am just guessing as I have not the first clue about any of this stuff.

My airbrush of choice for simply painting rather than fancy graphics or weathering will always be the Paasche Model H. I have two. One for colour, one for clear. Bullet proof, easy to clean and with a very fine spray, what more do you want (apart from silly bragging rights!)  But to paint larger objects i use a spotting gun, a small gravity spray gun meant for touching up spots and dents on small repairs.They are so cheap and beautifully made. Around £18 for a good one from your friendly auto paints shop (where I get all my paints).

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

I’m a big fan of the badger patriot gravity feed, dual action Air-Brush.  I bought mine from USA Air brush supply, who happens to be a site sponsor.

Air brushing is great, best of luck!  Judging by your obvious abilities, I’m guessing you will catch on quick. 

To me, the biggest difference is the pressures you are going to shoot at, and the intended usage/spray pattern, the gravity feeds run on a bit lower pressures as they don’t have to siphon the paint up from the reservoir and consequently can shoot a bit finer line at lower pressures. If you are doing really fine, thin lines then gravity feed will be your best option. I find that for plastic models, and so far all my wood spraying needs a siphon brush (iwata eclipse) has meet all my needs, I can get a finer line than I need, and it sprays every medium I need (so far) with a great pattern and consistency. Plus I can fill a larger container if I have a larger single color need... as always YMMV depending on your preferences- and of course, having both is the best of all! I would recommend the badger siphon cup for small jobs though (for the iwata siphon brush)- it’s pickup tube runs all the way to the bottom of the cup.... some only go halfway or so....

Edited by ASAT