The Peterboro Canoe by Duanelaker - FINISHED - Midwest Products - 1:12

DDA49CF9-64FE-4F7F-BBBF-5B527074A1D5.thumb.jpeg.188e236945abb2339b2937918e8f890d.jpegF518E950-0F31-49F7-AC0F-54EB84D3CAA7.thumb.jpeg.b7c27b4f214f48890013496675baeb46.jpegIt was interesting to find out that “The Peterboro Canoe” was named due to the association with Peterborough, Ontario.

There was a time almost any wooden canoe In the traditional Canadian style, that is, one basically having the appearance of the woodland bark canoe of the North American Indian, could be referred to as “a Peterboro”

certainly a rich history with these canoes.  So here is a kit I purchased on eBay for less than $50, well worth the hours of entertainment.

So I followed the very well written instructions and took the Forms and stems out of the kit.  I used my Sand it from micro mark to cleanup the edges.

BDA26081-4DCA-49AC-8FED-23CDD43B4743.thumb.jpeg.aee91a21f62e5d2f4b91b22f1759f949.jpeg

I then marked out the building boards and center lines

A193D606-338A-4046-94A1-E395A0BE474C.thumb.jpeg.ad2560525f4cda381106fc2174f8dfe1.jpeg

F8BDFF9F-4A9B-4F69-AD55-9E1C0A6C537F.thumb.jpeg.8705d71697bb3fdb66643ef40e5393b8.jpeg

Next up was setting up the building board with the forms.  After gluing the forms onto the strong back I glued the stems to the bottom plank and marked it per the drawing.

2C1FE72D-0D02-4D52-A901-66DD0E8D040A.thumb.jpeg.086a531f43b227734fc6f34f87249702.jpeg

92603DAB-DB3E-4CD7-9F73-6EF7C0C67E13.thumb.jpeg.24dc2f3d1524410ef1179702f4e50f9a.jpeg1428818D-F423-49C9-9F63-34F44C84634B.thumb.jpeg.ec748b0677736b135e592477ae1d3fcf.jpeg

I ended up having to remove one of the stems  and shorten the bottom plank.  Once I compared it to the drawing it was about a half inch long.

Quick note:  DO NOT GLUE YOUR BOTTOM PLANK OR ANY PLANK TO THE FORMS,  only the stems get glued to the building board.  I didn’t make this mistake, but I almost did!

A1E7B105-98FA-4FA1-9F0B-8772BBE901F6.thumb.jpeg.92656c3b8af371b8e3c914d6811c2690.jpeg

C2716810-C000-4D7F-BFFC-FD4CB00E91E9.thumb.jpeg.63df51f6ba9074444b7c89a4664af74b.jpeg

39FE273C-1609-437D-BE19-9FCC1B3CA206.thumb.jpeg.3e88d955c6aff3a57b1d03324c06160e.jpeg

A105CA0B-EE8E-483C-8340-F9E20D5B665C.thumb.jpeg.50fcaa6c0162ef6e5ec62bf9c25c8d78.jpeg

D21419F2-CF3A-4A32-9554-E4934BC6FA4C.thumb.jpeg.5338783f8f51c072481eecce242eb5af.jpeg

I the glued the stem/bottom plank assembly onto the strong back and laid down my first plank.  It went on fairly easy so fingers crossed.  I am also lightly sanding each of the planks as I put them on in hopes to cut down on the basswood fuzz.

Edited by Duanelaker
Warning for everyone

So in laying the second planks I decided to do the port and starboard simultaneously and before I cut and glued them to the stem, it dawned on me that I hadn’t edge glued them to the previously placed plank.  I had been using CA since it was in such small amounts but I don’t want to edge glue with the CA as I don’t want to over expose my self to it.  I really want to be able to just put a clear coat on it when I am done.  

my question is what is the best way for me to edge glue the planks to one another?  I would like to use PVA, I usually use TITEBOND,  should I switch to elmers white glue?

4C75AD8F-9EFA-47D5-AD46-4AD26B08D439.thumb.jpeg.d50f323187f97acf8e0d78b60a943bc5.jpeg873785F3-4BA7-4CB4-AD28-726F5EFB8252.thumb.jpeg.a8de5ae36c7c691ff2f3698c9c5e2099.jpeg

I would use TiteBond I think it would be fine. I would love to find one of these kits. There is one on ebay but it is already started so I am going to have to keep looking.

2nd on the Titebond, do not use CA.   I love this kit, it was one of my firsts.    I recommend also making a visit up to the Canadian Canoe Museum sometime, its not far from you (5 - 6 hrs drive).   Great place, and they stock all the great canoe kits in their gift shop.   Also check out https://www.amazon.com/Peterborough-canoes-Canoe-Company/dp/096982422X

You can make some great water-slip decals to add a bit of realism too.   There are a couple really easy mods you can implement later in the build that would really make it shine.   

Edited by Justin P.

5 hours ago, Justin P. said:

You can make some great water-slip decals to add a bit of realism too.   There are a couple really easy mods you can implement later in the build that would really make it shine.   

Thanks Justin, I might just do that!  I also have a 24” Canadian canoe kit from Midwest that might benefit as well from that 😊 

Well I just won an ebay auction for one of these for $19.50. I should have it by Feb. 12. Once it arrives I will be following right behind you. If you are not already done by then.

1 hour ago, Osmosis said:

Well I just won an ebay auction for one of these for $19.50. I should have it by Feb. 12. Once it arrives I will be following right behind you. If you are not already done by then.

Awesome!  These are such fun kits!  

What a great project, I’m following with interest. My family hails from Peterborough, and if you are ever up that way you will enjoy the Canadian Canoe Museum and a cruise on the Trent River where you can see and experience the highest hydraulic lift lock in the world.  Scott

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

31 minutes ago, Haliburton said:

What a great project, I’m following with interest. My family hails from Peterborough, and if you are ever up that way you will enjoy the Canadian Canoe Museum and a cruise on the Trent River where you can see and experience the highest hydraulic lift lock in the world.  Scott

Hmm I might just have to do that someday when my son is older...what canal system is this lock on?  I’m in the Hudson/Mohawk valley area of New York so there is some great canal history in my area.

Great to see another canoe being built, David. These are truly wonderful, little kits. This kit is almost exactly like the Indian Canoe by Midwest that I built. 

I ended up using CA almost entirely on my canoe. I realize that many modelers do not like to work with it but I have found that, if you are careful, it can save time and a lot of complicated planking. I painted the hull but I did have to be careful not to have glue stains in the interior since that was left natural. When planking, I would begin by gluing the end of the plank with a spot of CA and then place a few, tiny spots further down the edge of the previous plank and hold the plank down on that area and just kept repeating this until I reached the other end. It worked great for me and I used it on all the the interior frames as well.

The one problem I encountered while planking was that I began to get steps and some small spaces between the planks as the hull began to curve more toward the keel. I was lightly beveling the planks but still had trouble getting them to fit perfectly tight. I did end up using a very tiny amount of Elmer's Wood Filler in those cracks and then sanded the hull quite a bit. I was afraid that would show up on the inside but, after sanding the interior of the canoe, you couldn't really see those filled cracks. 

I'll be following along. She'll be a beauty when you're done!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Here's a photo of my Indian Canoe

1401417235_IMG_3781copy.thumb.jpg.dd28fd0b71eca652faae68906da9c06f.jpgBob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob,

Your Indian girl canoe was the reason I pulled this one out!  I hope it turns out half as good as yours 😊 

dave

Oh, thanks very much, Dave. I've looked at some of the little gems you've built and your canoe will be wonderful when you're finished with her.

I must of had to prime and repaint the hull 4 or 5 times before I got to where I was happy with it. I had a great paint job on it the first go around and then I managed to drop it while it was still wet and ruin it. So I primed it again and sprayed it again when I pulled the masking tape off the cherry rail it left a ragged edge and had bled onto the cherry. So I carefully pried the rail off but managed to snap one of them. So I sanded it again, sprayed it with a filler primer and sprayed the finish coats again. Then I was able to mend the broken cherry rail with some CA and glue them back on again. It never goes as easy as I think it's going to go that's for sure!

After you mentioned the Midwest kayak you have, I went looking on eBay and bought Midwest Chesapeake 17 Kayak kit. These little boats really appeal to me! 

Bob

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

8 minutes ago, BobG said:

After you mentioned the Midwest kayak you have, I went looking on eBay and bought Midwest Chesapeake 17 Kayak kit. These little boats really appeal to me! 

Bob

I discovered eBay for the first time about a month ago and went a little nuts and bought every Midwest kit I could, in the mix I have a Chesapeake bay kayak, an Indian girl canoe, a 24” Canadian canoe and a Chesapeake bay two seater kayak.  My single seater is missing the instructions however.  I also have their John Alden sloop, day sailer, flattie, pea pod, Boston tender, life boat dory, lobster boat, steam boiler, cat boat, lobster smack...lol

Holy smokes...have you got the entire Midwest line up? Did you find the operational Laughing Whale steam engine they used to make that goes in their Fantail Launch? I don't think I've ever seen one on eBay. You've got a bunch of fun ahead!

Bob

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

17 minutes ago, BobG said:

Holy smokes...have you got the entire Midwest line up? Did you find the operational Laughing Whale steam engine they used to make that goes in their Fantail Launch? I don't think I've ever seen one on eBay. You've got a bunch of fun ahead!

Bob

I have the fantail launch which is wood, a fiberglass hull steam powered boat and I believe the heritage steam engine?  I’ll post pics tomorrow...there’s alittle dent but everything else seems functional, I probably paid to much but I’m a fan of all things steam since I am a pipefitter by trade 😆 

I also got alittle further today...taking my time but I still could do better. I’m hoping sanding can take care of some of the kink.  I’m really surprised there was no mention of any tapering of the planks,  so I haven’t yet but I might have to in order to make that bottom curve87B42C6E-CD9E-4021-A357-D4AA47A9363C.thumb.jpeg.c2ba6898cdf49be97bc3400d00fda50b.jpeg

01B8F917-D718-4FC9-8AEF-5D322B037041.thumb.jpeg.3cf569e0481db45b486f7e3795ff3062.jpeg

45306859-14C7-429E-96AE-00E670F96EC6.thumb.jpeg.984d9e619a3a5f9a88646d8b84e1ee60.jpeg

AB1FBC99-FE8C-4F7C-8715-367550AA644F.thumb.jpeg.d04a1a683516872b561f1844b0b5b064.jpeg

I started beveling the edges once the planking started to get "step-like" a bit. Quite a bit of it will be less noticeable once you sand the hull. My hull got pretty thin in spots from my sanding but the filler primer I sprayed and the paint toughened it up along with the Wipe-on-Poly I used on the insides. You'll need to be more careful though if you're not painting your hull.

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

It is coming along very nicely. Can't wait to get started on mine. My first build was the Midwest Sakonnet Day Sailer. That one was a lot of fun.

11 hours ago, Duanelaker said:

I discovered eBay for the first time about a month ago and went a little nuts and bought every Midwest kit I could, in the mix I have a Chesapeake bay kayak, an Indian girl canoe, a 24” Canadian canoe and a Chesapeake bay two seater kayak.  My single seater is missing the instructions however.  I also have their John Alden sloop, day sailer, flattie, pea pod, Boston tender, life boat dory, lobster boat, steam boiler, cat boat, lobster smack...lol

Man you DID go nuts!

9 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Man you DID go nuts!

It is so much worse then that....early on whenever model expo had a sale that dropped a boat below 100$ I would end up buying it, believe it or not that ended up being ALOT of boats, but I feared planking and failure lol, I also went nuts and purchased quite a few eBay kits that were reasonably priced, mostly AL, occre, constructo, a few scientifics, I purchased a victory mantua kit for super cheap and when I opened it I realized it was old enough that nothing was laser cut or even stamped lol.  I ended up getting some very cool kits though lol....oh well!

Also, that last model expo sale ended up with me purchasing a USS Constitution kit for about 215$. Which I thought was a steal lol.

40 minutes ago, Duanelaker said:

Also, that last model expo sale ended up with me purchasing a USS Constitution kit for about 215$. Which I thought was a steal lol.

Model Expo has a tempting sale like every week.   They got me too with their 40 year anniversary sale.   

9 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

Model Expo has a tempting sale like every week.   They got me too with their 40 year anniversary sale.   

They almost got me with that one too! I wanted to pull the trigger on the Dumas 1949 Runabout for $119.00 sooooooo bad.

1 hour ago, Duanelaker said:

It is so much worse then that....early on whenever model expo had a sale that dropped a boat below 100$ I would end up buying it, believe it or not that ended up being ALOT of boats, but I feared planking and failure lol, I also went nuts and purchased quite a few eBay kits that were reasonably priced, mostly AL, occre, constructo, a few scientifics, I purchased a victory mantua kit for super cheap and when I opened it I realized it was old enough that nothing was laser cut or even stamped lol.  I ended up getting some very cool kits though lol....oh well!

Yikes...talk about model ship acquisition syndrome! I pulled my eyes away from the most recent Model Expo sale. I've decided that I need to focus on completing my Medway Longboat before I add more stuff to the stash! Oh well, it appears that you're young enough to keep yourself busy building for a very long time. Me...I'd be pushing up daisies before I could complete all those kits!

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: