Revenge 1577 by Asat - Amati - 1/64

I’m going to take another stab at a build log, I have been eyeballing this kit since Chris Watton gave his little preview of it way back when.... I found a few build logs on here but I think only one of them has been completed. I plan on doing my usual kitbashing - replacing most of the kit wood with Pear, Castello Boxwood, Maple, Holly, Redheart, etc.etc. I will probably break down and use some white paint where it’s called for but I hope to come up with some alternative to the decorative paper decals that are on the upper hull - thinking maybe I can do some inlay work or use some inlay strips or something as I don’t want to use the paper and I don’t really want that much bright coloration on my Revenge.
I purchased the kit from Ages of Sail - first time I didn’t use CMB for a kit - even with a 5% discount CMB was over $30 more delivered.... I must say that Ages of Sail was top notch, a human answered the phone every time I called, they were knowledgeable, competitive and efficient, called right at closing - they still took my order, packaged it very well and got it out the next day. I won’t hesitate to buy from them again. Not affiliated, just great customer service and earned a great shout out.I won’t show the kit contents- James H. Has a great review on here and several logs show what you get. I must say that the kit is very nice, the supplied strips and dimensioned wood is very high quality, the MDF is great, etched brass, cannons and embellishments are well done. I’m not a big fan of the African Walnut (Dibetou) they provide but the laser cutting is top notch and as long as you are cautious with the grain direction it will be just fine. I will probably be re- making most of it with other woods though. 

19834999-D5EC-46F7-B5FE-F0C84A49BB5F.jpeg

I started the kit last weekend, so far everything is fitting excellently and I just used some steel blocks I have to square the bulkheads to the false keel, after building the framework it’s lots of deck planking so that’s where I’m at. I will say I was a bit surprised that the plans don’t show any construction steps or sequences but there is a full color, comprehensive  instruction booklet that is making every step crystal clear.... 

AF00E3A4-C89D-4732-931A-51AA98D474CA.jpeg

5867A921-F1C4-4512-85B9-E217FE47A59D.jpeg

I’m using some Maple for the deck planking, and made my own hatch coamings from Pear. I really like the flame on my maple strips, gives the deck a great look and a bit more dimension, as well as looking a lot better than the supplied Tanganika (IMO). At first I was a little miffed at the etched brass gratings but after painting them and installing them I think they look great! You have to get a lot closer than model viewing range to tell if the openings in the grates are round or square.... this is the orlop deck.....

2DF506F0-CC9A-4261-9BB1-5E427155F858.jpeg

CBFDE47C-F798-4C2C-96B9-4F3E4EFC097B.jpeg

10BB7C04-93D7-4A50-945D-32A9D741D628.jpeg

Beautiful work! I look forward to following your progress.

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

And here is the main gun deck - I haven’t decided about leaving some grates off to view below or not, leaning towards not having them open but we’ll see. It doesn’t provide anything in the kit but on this deck there is a personnel hatch - I’m pretty sure there would be stanchions or something to keep guys from tripping and falling down the hatchway? Anyone know if that was done in 16th century ships yet? If so what should it look like? Same as later century’s? 😎 Looks like I need to put some paint on the deck portion underneath the hatchway edges....

B6F22681-4680-4890-8C2B-2496ED27F40D.jpeg

72E927C4-1536-4BF3-989E-BEA124543EC1.jpeg

18033C4A-B82E-4B3D-8861-96FC0439A831.jpeg

636E32E2-2994-4413-984E-7B3CFAD7C36B.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

Got two more decks planked and fitted, next up is the bowsprit deck ( is that a term?) and then a bunch of deck beam framing to support the upper decks (man! This thing has a lot of decks!) and the whipstaff framing, moving towards getting the plywood bulwark patterns in place and then planking. 

EB6EAB84-419A-42E9-856B-C5EC4BFE58D9.jpeg

53954D2D-E2CA-4E22-AC8A-F821F6DF1326.jpeg

0D5ED195-36C6-4DD4-B940-77793B39FC2D.jpeg

67EEB82C-3E55-423B-AEAB-05EA2CAD860F.jpeg

13E2BCD8-1D0A-4F23-A5D1-15A3515EC5D0.jpeg.0bca03c20a24163170e46fa8a063099e.jpegI also re-worked the companion hatchway, didn’t like the rough deck under it so I framed the opening and re built the coamings.

5FB71991-BC34-4307-97F2-07C991E07DAB.jpeg

13E2BCD8-1D0A-4F23-A5D1-15A3515EC5D0.jpegHey those grates have round holes!

Edited by ASAT

awesome looking kit......nothing looks flimsy ;)   deck planking looks nice too.......gonna look even sweeter with sealer on it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nice work, bowsprit deck   do you mean  Forecastle  deck - it meets the front of the ship near the bowsprit   and can be  flat from the mid ships  or raised up.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

gonna have to cover where the deck faults......I'm sure it's in the plans.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the kudos O.C. and Popeye....  And the terminology..... There is another deck on top of the deck that the bowsprit goes through they are calling the forecastle, they called the one I’m talking about the “bow” deck but I thought bowsprit was more apropos?

Popeye, there are actually two added decks and yes, the break lines get covered with some of that framing I was talking about. The decks however, are as sweet as they are gonna get.... there is two coats of WOPoly on them - I’m really liking this maple.... nicely figured.....

Edited by ASAT

on larger war ships,  the bow spirit goes through the spar deck,  and even the fore castle deck {if there is one}  and is anchored on the gun deck.   not being too familiar with types of sailing ships {I just like to build 'em},  I had to look back at the box...a Galleon :)   I have a Half Moon I still need to mast....Billings.   I like the construction of this one ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree Popeye, this is one of Chris Watton’s designs - his new stuff (Vanguard Models) is even better. I’m waiting for his 50 Gun HMS Bristol to come out but it’s gonna be  awhile. 

Thanks James and Jeff, another deck tonight, the lower foc’sle I’ll call it😎 it has you put some planks cross ways to border the forward bulkhead and a forecastle deck beam, took too long but I started fairing the bulkhead framing for that forward bulkhead as well for when the ply pieces go on....

C0FAB4FA-5BF6-4906-A674-37CB3FF87CC9.jpeg

884D2F18-B227-4932-9C3C-C7CDA0C5FFD7.jpeg

AEEF4B58-FEBD-427C-8394-0578CBD34FF9.jpeg

Today I added a few deck beams, planking support pieces at the bow and built the lower capstan. I didn’t like the kit offering much so I modified it to look a little more real? I hope... I think it looks better at least - here’s a pic of the kit supplied pieces ( only two whelps but you get the idea) 

59971A0F-314D-4CD0-AC86-C9F6BEEB584B.jpeg

So the whelps are what’s bugging me the most so I re made them and made a new platform that it sits on, I think the capstan is supposed to be mounted on planking material that is a lot thicker? Anyway that’s what I did..... hers a comparison of the whelps and what I ended up with......

3C0EF42F-6E7A-4E89-AA6D-1014830494A2.jpeg

C1B80079-65A0-4B21-8FDC-E9261242B704.jpeg

24F3D3F6-1EA2-49BE-89A4-E9AB16D44BAF.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

And here it is on the model, and a pic of what the non modified capstan would have looked like, probably  won’t see this one after all the decks go on but it was good practice for the one that’s going to be seen....😀

012B9707-2A97-42AC-AC2E-57AD516CF049.jpeg

9F673D6E-BC9E-4BFD-BBB7-32912A190408.jpeg

2F0F63E3-EBD1-49CC-B230-FBB31D0CD356.jpeg

BC8CB042-6235-4B9C-B448-97914B9AB820.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

Great progress - you're as fast as Chris Watton! I particularly like your coamings. Beautiful.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Very nice. I think this was the first design that got me more interested in adding internal detail. A few years later, I developed a much larger version (48th scale I think) of a completely reworked Revenge, with a lot less sheer/curve to the decks and bulwarks.

Revenge 16 02 2016 3.jpg

Revenge 16 02 2016 4.jpg

Revenge 16 02 2016 5.jpg

Revenge for Sergio 1.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Wow - now that would have been a lot of fun! You just knock that out in a weekend or two? Great Chris, now every one is going to be let down as they see my tiny little Revenge take shape. I think it’s cool to see how your designs developed- actually build them better and better.... 

So I got to looking at my capstan and thought it was over sized - looked at some resources on line and the whelps are all wrong, so I re worked it a bit, still a little big but it’s better and like I said, it’s practice for the one you will see. 
I know some of you guys looked at that thing and laughed, I give everyone permission to tell me if something isn’t right. At least then I’ll have the option of doing it over - constructive criticism is always good.....

722398A1-15A1-40E5-B157-DFCEE65C42E0.jpeg

Installed the rear gallery decks after building the “whipstaff” an early form of tiller actuation device I gather.... the decks are waiting for the side ply bulwarks and rear bulkhead to be placed and marked around then they are removed and the gallery decks are planked and bulkheads are added. Getting closer to prep for planks....5F5B9706-0720-498A-AEBF-B9F61863EC6E.jpeg.8a4f372e1ec2bf1226b0cced5e26feb6.jpegwhipstaff assy....

AEF74122-F923-464F-8726-589ECDF9CB64.jpeg

Thanks guys for the kind remarks and all the likes! Nice to have you guys looking in, Y.T. - I didn’t think I was working that fast, I think a lot of it is the great design, it assembles very accurately and I haven’t had to spend days (or weeks) sanding the bulkheads or fairing everything together. I did use a few shim strips on a couple bulkheads and basically pre faired the first few and last couple of bulkheads just like the manual shows and it comes out great - so kudos to Chris Watton and Amati for implementing his great design. Makes me excited looking forward to even better designs coming from Mr. Watton with his new company - Vanguard Models 

So I think I’m done with decks for a while, I installed and planked the lower aft decks, I had to temp install the side ply pieces to get the outline of those to fit in between the gallery platforms. Pretty tedious with small planks and getting my hands between all the bulkhead uprights. Next up are some internal cabin bulkheads that I am considering remaking with Pear - especially the very aft gallery/ stern piece. We’ll see...

F86A3383-E1C6-43D7-9F08-E842F2E957C9.jpeg

4F51F0DA-183F-49B2-B249-A8A5CA90751B.jpeg

Edited by ASAT