Twelve Apostles by jack.aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:100

The Twelve Apostles,  Russian Imperial Ship of the line, 1841

In the first half of XIX century in the building slips of the Nikolaev imperial shipyards three 120-gun ships of the line were built: the sister ships of the line " Twelve Apostles ", "Paris" and " Great Prince Konstantin". 

The first two were built by the outstanding Russian master shipbuilder, captain S.I. Chernyavskiy, while the third by I.S. Dmitriev. 

The main commander of the Black Sea fleet, the admiral M.P.Lasarev, had an important role in defining the specs and also in designing of the ship which headed this class.

The "Twelve Apostles" was launched on July 15, 1841 (Old style Dating). The length of the vessel was 208 ft 9 in, 59 ft 2 in and 25 ft 3 in. On its lower deck there were 28 powerful 68-pounds shell guns with range of shooting of flat Trajectory of 14 cable's length (about 2600 m), designed by the Russian artillerist-inventor Lekhner. On the other two gun decks there were 36-pdrs and 24-pdrs guns. In total there were 130 guns. 

The crew of this ship consisted of about 1000 men, among them there were 12 officers and 65 corporals. The classification as "120-gun ships" did not specify the real number of guns, and was meaning that the ship ranked as first rate. A strong ordnance, very good sea qualities, high maneuvrability, high speed (in a fair wind the ship was able to reach 12 knots); all these features qualifies the ships of this class between the limited group of the best ships of the line of the final sailing period. 

In spite of her great firepower, she was never given the opportunity to challeng the numerically superior Anglo-French forces during the Crimean war. Her guns were instead landed and employed against the allies during the siege of Sevastopol. The disarmed liner was first converted into a hospital ship and then scuttled to block the harbour entrance in 1855.

Dvenadtsat' Apostolov (Twelve Apostles) class: 3 ships

Dvenadtsat' Apostolov (Twelve Apostles), 120/130 guns, Nikolaev Imperial Shipyard
Contructor: Chernyavskiy
Laid down: 4.10.1838
Launched: 15.7.1841
Dimensions: 208 ft 9 in x 59 ft 2 in x 25 ft 3 in. 3190 tons bm, 4790 tons displacement
Initial Armament:
Lower deck: 28 x 68pdrs shell guns, 4 x 36 pdrs long guns
Middle deck: 34 x 36pdrs short guns
Upper deck: 34 x 36pdrs gunnades
Forecastle + Quarterdeck: 24 x 24pdrs gunnades, 1 x 24pdrs carronade, 2 x 12pdrs carronades, 2 x 8pdrs carronades. 
1853 Armament:
Lower deck 28 x 68pdrs shell guns, 4 x 36pdrs long guns
Upper deck, 34 x 36pdrs gunnades
Forecastle + Quarterdeck: 24 x 24pdrs gunnades

Twelve Apostles sailes from Nikolaev to Sevastopol in 1842. Cruised in the Black Sea in 1842, Assisted in the transportation of 13th Division from Sevastopol to Odessa and back in 1843. Cruised in the Black Sea in 1843-7 and 1849-50. Repaired in 1851-52. Transorted 1466 tropps from Sevastopol to Sukhum-Kale in 10.1853. Returned to Sevastopol road in 4.1854. All guns had been landed by 12.1854 and only 80 sailors were still aboard. Converted into a temporary hospital 18.12.1854. Scuttled on 13.2.1855.

Parizh, 120/130 guns, Nikolaev Imperial Shipyard
Contructor: Chernyavskiy
Laid down: 18.6.1847
Launched: 23.10.1849
Dimensions: 209 ft x 57 ft 10 in x 25 ft 3 in. 3190 tons bm, 4790 tons displacement
Initial Armament:
Lower deck: 28 x 68pdrs shell guns, 4 x 36 pdrs long guns
Upper deck: 34 x 36pdrs short guns
Forecastle + Quarterdeck: 24 x 24pdrs gunnades, 2 x 24pdrs carronade, 2 x 12pdrs carronades, 2 x 12pdrs carronades, 2 x 8pdrs carronades. 
1853 Armament:

Name commemorates the entry of russian troops into Paris in 1815. Sailed from Nikolaev to Sevastopol in 1850. Cruised in the Black Sea in 1851-53. Transported 1483 troops from Sevastopol to Sukhum-kale in 10.1853. Joined Vice Admiral Nakhimov's squadron as the flagship of rear admiral Novosilskiy on 16.11.1853. Fought to Sinop on 18.11.1853 where she fired 3952 rounds, took 16 hits and suffered casualties of 1 killed and 16 wounded. Stationed at Sevastopol Roads in 4.1.1854. Reduced to 82 guns and 214 sailors by 1855. Scuttled at Sevastopol on 28.8.1855. Wreckage blown up in 1857-9 and metal salvaged.

Velikii Kniaz' Konstantin (Great Prince Konstantin), 120/130 guns, Nikolaev Imperial Shipyard
Contructor: Dmitrov
Laid down: 7.5.1850
Launched: 29.9.1852
Dimensions: 209 ft x 59 ft 6 in x 25 ft 3 in. 3190 tons bm, 4790 tons displacement
Initial Armament:
Lower deck: 32 x 68pdrs shell guns
Upper deck: 34 x 36pdrs gunnades
Forecastle + Quarterdeck: 24 x 24pdrs gunnades, 2 x 24pdrs carronades, 2 x 12pdrs carronades, 2 x 8pdrs carronades. 
1853 Armament:

Named after the elder brother of Nicholas I who abdicated in favour of Nicholas on the death of Alexander I. Sailed from Nikolaev to Sevastopol 7.1853. Transported 1437 troops from Sevastopol to Sukhum-kale in 10.1853. On 16.11.1853, she joined Vice Admiral Nakchimov squadron. Fought at Sinop on 18.11.1853 where she fired 2466 rounds, received 30 hits and had casualties of 8 killed and 26 wounded. Stationed in the Sevastopol Roads 12.1853. By 1855, she had been reduced to 90 guns and 337 sailors. Scuttled at Sevastopol on 28.8.1855.

The book listed below this message is the main source of these tecnical and historical data about the Twelve Apostols ship of the line class.

The Twelve Apostles model:

Scale: 1:100 
Length: 111.2cm, Height: 75cm, Width: 45cm
Artesania Latina manufacture/design, parts are made in China, edited by De Agostini.

In Italy there is a new partwork started this year by De Agostini.

It is the "Twelve Apostols", a Russian ship of the line. It is a weekly publication started in January 2013 and the whole collection will consist of 120 issues. This partwork was also launched in the same period of time in Russia.

The Twelve Apostles model is unique and currently no other kit of this ship on the market. It features laser-cut framework, plank-on-frame construction, stitched sail set, metal ornamentation, wooden masts & spars, assorted rigging threads and an assortment of armament.

Unfortunately the plans for this ship no longer exist, therefore its design is based on a model in the Sevastopol Museum, made by a famous russian shipmodeler. In addition interpretation of contemporary sources, such as paintings and drawings. 

And finally here is an interesting book on Russian ships in the age of sail: 

Russian warships in the age of sail 1696 - 1860: Design, Construction and Fates - John Tredrea & Eduard Sozaev.

Peter the Great created a navy from nothing, but it challenged and soon surpassed Sweden as the Baltic naval power, while in the Black Sea it became an essential tool in driving back the Ottoman Turks from the heartland of Europe. In battle it was surprisingly successful, and at times in the eighteenth century was the third largest navy in the world - yet its history, and especially its ships, are virtually unrecorded in the West. 
This major reference book handsomely fills this gap, with a complete and comprehensive list of the fleet, with technical detail and career highlights for every ship, down to small craft. However, because the subject is so little recorded in English, the book also provides substantial background material on the organisation and administration of the navy, its weapons, personnel and shipbuilding facilities, as well as an outline of Russia's naval campaigns down to the clash with Britain and France known as the Crimean War. The book is Illustrated with plans, paintings and prints rarely seen outside Russia, it is authoritative, reliable and comprehensive.

Monday May 20th, 2013 - The shipyard is opened . . 

I started some days ago to work on this new project. After having collected and controlled the first 16 issues of this new partwork I finally started . . 

01 p1090311.jpg

02 p1090312.jpg

03 p1090319.jpg

04 p1090323.jpg

See you next time, cheers. Saluti, Jack.

High Resolution Images:

Continuation from the previous message. .

Here are some images of the bulkheads: they are made up of three elements that must be assembled together.

01 p1090314.jpg

02 p1090315.jpg

03 p1090316.jpg

04 p1090317.jpg

05 p1090318.jpg

Cheers, Jack. 

High Resolution Images:

Nice project Jack. You seem to love these kit serials....

1/100 is too small for me, but I bet the ship will be massive with so many guns and decks. This DeAgostini must have a lot of laser cutting machines....

Please, make sure you update  this Build Log once a week.

Thanks

Yves

Hi Jack,

Very impressive!

Nice to read some back history of the ship.

I will have a close eye to you with what you are doing.

And the bulkheads are in different pieces, never see that.

Enjoy your build and let those pictures coming!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Jack,

This looks like something special.

I will also follow you on this build.

I also have never seen a Kit build where the bulkheads were made out of different parts.

But Maybe that has to do with the size of the ship?

I wish you good luck with this build.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Thanks to all of you for the positive comments . . 

My opinion is that this new kit, after +/- 20 weekly issues, is a small jewel of CAD design and the "hard work" is obviously done by CNC machine piloting laser cutting machines. The pieces are so precise that there is often no room for the glue . . I use to enlarge with a small file the interlockings between the various parts to be sure the glue achieves its objective !!

Cheers, Jack.

Continuation. . the "scaletto"

In the first image a group of bulkheads mounted and held under weight for a few days. .

01 p1090410.jpg

Following three images of the mounting "scaletto" (i don't know the right english term, can someone help?) that I have prepared for this model. As you can see it is very simple and can not yet be considered completely finished. . once that it will contain the keel I think to add blocks fore and aft to hold everything.

02 p1090320.jpg

03 p1090321.jpg

04 p1090322.jpg

Two lines again regarding "scaletto": I found a table at a wood store of paulownia (800 x 300 x 18), a light wood but very stable. I derived from it, through my table saw, a table by a 800 x 250 and with the waste I manufactured the side supports of the keel, that have been glued on the table.

Finally, a special thought to the designer of the skeleton of our model. . really studied well, very nice and above all very original. . a big step forward compared to the Victory and Sovereign. . although it would be impossible to do so well without a CAD project and without the cutting tools laser controlled by computer. .

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.

High Resolution Images:

A well done log on a fascinating project, will follow closely.

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

continuation . .

Here are shown the last remaining bulkheads, assembled and waiting for the glue being completely dry.

01 p1090413.jpg

In the second and third picture you can see the last bulkhead, the number 28 assembled with the pieces 28a and 28b. The bulkhead is assembled above the famous cutting mat provided by De Agostini as a gift. Characteristic of this pad is to implement a centimeter net. It was very useful for me to assembly the components "a" and "b" of each bulkhead in a symmetrical manner. This because it allowed me to check their position, which must be equidistant from the centre.

02 p1090414.jpg

I think the trick is clearly understood by looking at the photo below. About bulkhead no. 28, I believe that, assembled in this way and left as it is, should be pretty weak, more precisely in the point of bonding of the elements "a" and "b". I've also seen in later stages of the assembly process that this potential weakness does not improve with the addition of the lower deck; it  improves only after applying the three levels of reinforcement for false decks. So as a precautionary action I think it's better toughen up the piece by gluing a strip on the side where it will not be present the deck, that is, on the side facing towards the stern. The thickness of the strip should be at least 2mm.

03 p1090412.jpg

Finally I worked in the trial of dry mounting the bulkheads now ready. I took the keel (where at the moment have not yet been glued reinforcements at three connections), I inserted into the building slip and I placed the bulkheads. Then I tried to place the two segments on the lower deck that ends near the bulkhead no. 10 which is the seventh from the first.

The pieces are perfect. . they fit with incredible accuracy. .

04 p1090415.jpg

05 p1090418.jpg

See you next time, cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Edited by jack.aubrey

The next picture shows the model from Lev Alyoshin (Alechine), located in Sevastopol, taken fron Artesania Latina as main reference for their project of Twelve Apostles:

post-1168-0-94447300-1370003872_thumb.jpg

This is another model of Twelve Apostles, located in St. Petersburg. It seems there is a third model located in Vladivostok . . 

post-1168-0-31673300-1370004248_thumb.jpg

The next image is the cover of the book I presented in my first, introductory message:

post-1168-0-42523500-1370003898_thumb.jpg

And this is a gun supplied in the first issue of the partwork . .

post-1168-0-95453200-1370004102_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey.

continuation . .

More images of the skeleton dry mounted . .

01 p1090416.jpg

02 p1090419.jpg

03 p1090420.jpg

04 p1090421.jpg

05 p1090422.jpg

However, this experience helped me, as well as to verify the correctness of the parts and the whole, also to define the process that I will follow for the final assembly with glue:

- I will glue the first bulkhead only after having applied the lower deck, this makes it easier to install the two half bridges and defines the correct mounting position;

- I will glue in a single session, rather fast, the next six bulkheads, without worrying too much for the angle of 90°, favoring instead the speed of execution;

- Before the glue used to bond the bulkheads has the time to dry, I immediately install the two half decks no. 23, if the case I will fix the deck with some fine brass nails (Amati) not completely hammered so that you can take them out once dry;

- Finally I will mount the first bulkhead at the bow;

Once finished the area of ​​the first segment of the deck, I will proceed in the same way for the second segment and then to the third.

I hope I explained clearly, kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.

High Resolution Images:

Hello Jack,

Looking good!

And thanks for the detailed pictures and explanation

I like the way you held the bulkheads under weight.

I think I might steal your idea of using glass plates.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

I'm really enjoying seeing all the pictures on this build log. This is a subject I haven't seen modeled before and I will follow along with great interest. You've made a great start so far!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I will be following this build closely Jack as I considering subscribing if it comes to the UK.At the moment I am in the early stages of Sovereign of the Seas by Deagostini

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

First of all, thanks you all for the appreciations to my new model, I've just started a game that will probably last not before 2016. . 

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - Dry assembly, continuation . .

Continues in this message the dry assembling of the skeleton. .

I applied all the bulkheads and the remaining segments of the lower deck, evaluating the precision and the easy assembly. Compared to the partial work done yesterday anything happened that made me reconsider the plan that I set yesterday, in fact I am convinced even more on the method I suggested.

The images below show the skeleton, dry mounted, from various viewpoint. Once again I must stress the extreme precision of the project and laser cutting. To complete the test fitting I hardly had to use the file to correct some imperfections. Truly admirable.

01 p1090440.jpg

02 p1090441.jpg

03 p1090442.jpg

04 p1090443.jpg

05 p1090444.jpg

After the dry assemply . . I voluntarily limited it at this point because I do not want to progress further this first phase, I then removed everything, put all under press, that is "under glass", the various pieces and I have dedicated myself to the reinforcements of the keel.

We will address this issue in the next message. Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Jack,

This project is indeed mighty....

I am surprised by the precision of the cuts and the perfection and the constant thickness of the wood. That is not a small thing to accept when thousands of kits are being produced and distributed on a weekly basis. This way, you never get the same batch of wood as opposed to other manufacturers who are laser cutting all the frames from the same sheet of wood.

It reminds me of the work that Chris Watton is doing for Amati, for which he is exploring new building techniques, using MDF particle boards. The goal there is exact reproducibility and perfection of the cuts.

Very interesting, to say the least.

Yves

. . I am surprised by the precision of the cuts and the perfection and the constant thickness of the wood. That is not a small thing to accept when thousands of kits are being produced and distributed on a weekly basis. This way, you never get the same batch of wood as opposed to other manufacturers who are laser cutting all the frames from the same sheet of wood.

It reminds me of the work that Chris Watton is doing for Amati, for which he is exploring new building techniques, using MDF particle boards. The goal there is exact reproducibility and perfection of the cuts.

Yves

Hi Yves. Your comment is very interesting . . You highlighted a point of weakness of this kind of kits: the huge number of copies of the same laser cut elements cannot be obtained from the same sheet of wood and, consequently, the pieces may differ in thickness. And you have to consider that i received from an unofficial source that every week De Agostini sells in Italy and in Russia an unbelivable number on copies of its partwork (+/- 80.000), This is a huge number and the problem seems to be solved by imposing to the chinese company who makes the components severe quality standards.

There are also some tricks: for example the three element that make up a bulkhead are cutted from the same plywood sheet.  So the bulkhead is unaffected by that problem.

I know Amati is selling its Black Pearl using MDF for the keel, bulkheads and other pieces. I made in the past some comparative tests between plywood and MDF and I consider plywood, if of good quality, superior to MDF. Anyway MDF may be considered a future solution and evolution in shipmodeling.

But I think also its "formula" should be sligthly modified to adapt to shipmodeling needs . .  

Continuation . .

Another image of the skeleton dry mounted:

01 p1090445.jpg

Then, as anticipated, I disassembled everything and I proceeded to fix the reinforcements of the keel.

The pieces were a little generous in width, so I had to remove with a sanding block the excess. For gluing I used the building slip: I inserted the keel inside it, then I inserted the two bulkheads involved in the installation of the reinforcement and I modified the reinforcement block until it was insertable effortlessly between the two bulkheads. At this point I switched to gluing, pinning them together with clamps.

I aligned the reinforcements to the bottom line of the keel, although this will force me to shape flush to the bulkheads the excess. It will provide a point of support of the first strip (starting from the keel) that will contribute to a more correct positioning and anchoring.

02 p1090452.jpg

03 p1090453.jpg

I also made a slight change to the building slip, even if it is not worth to show it in pictures, because it is of little importance in the general economy.

See you next time, jack.Aubrey.

High Resolution Images:

Morning jack,

This is really unbelievable when I see all the parts of this kit.

It fits perfect you are saying.

I think this kit is a perfect example for other factories who makes kits…….

Thanks for all the explanations in detail that you giving us.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thursday, May 23, 2013

I take this opportunity to inform you that, as I had expected, the bulkhead number 28 had a short life without being reinforced. Yesterday, while I was manipulating the hull to dry install the last segment of the deck it took a wrong move. . and was immediately broken. .

Never mind, I immediately recovered it and I took the opportunity to reinforce the fragile area with a strip of walnut 5 x 2mm. However, it is a detail that should be kept in mind for those who have already gone there.

Regards, Jack.Aubrey

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - starting to get serious. .

I reinforced the famous "fragile" bulkhead which, among other things, had almost immediately broken, by applying two strips of walnut 5 x 2 in the manner shown by the first picture. The reinforcement is applied where no one will bother in the future, I just have to do a small refinement before mounting it.

01 p1090458.jpg

Then I started to lay down, in a definitive way with the glue, the top seven bulkheads and the two elements of the first segment of the deck. As I mentioned earlier I glued rather quickly the bulkheads from the second to the seventh, followed immediately by gluing the two half deck elements. In this way everything went perfectly square shaped, without worrying too much, taking advantage of the time needed (about 15 minutes) by the glue to get grip. To hold the half decks in place, given the presence of a small "cavallino" (I don't know the nautical english term), I used a dozen brass nails (you can see them probably in the high resolution photos).
Finally I installed the first bulkhead, whose verticality was assured by the presence of the deck and then I applied the reinforcements for the bow. .

02 p1090456.jpg

03 p1090457.jpg

04 p1090459.jpg

Now everything is resting to complete the drying process of the glue. I forgot a thing: of course all the glue in excess was removed during the process with a small brush. 

Sincerely, Jack.

High Resolution Images: