Twelve Apostles by jack.aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:100

Friday, June 7, 2013 - imagesA particular view of the second false decks at the prow zone. . you see a very small wood thickness filling a gap of the horizontal false deck, on the left side, near the first bulkhead, which leads me to expect a few problems in the near future.

Hello Jack,

You've already seen it, so that gives you an advantage. I hope the problems stay away, but if they don't,

I'm sure you will be able to handle it and come up with a solution. Good luck.

Every time I stop by to have a look, she looks more impressive.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Jasseji,

This is a new partwork started this year by De Agostini: It is the "Twelve Apostles", a Russian ship of the line. It is a weekly publication started in January 2013 and the whole collection will consist of 120 issues. This partwork was launched concurrently in Italy and in Russia. The Twelve Apostles model is unique and currently no other kit of this ship is on the market.

For as I know there is no way to get this model from De Agostini outside these two countries but, as probably happened with HMS Victory launched some time ago in UK and then in Italy and now in Poland, or the Sovereign, started in Italy and now in UK, may be the !2 Apostles will come in Poland too . .    

Saturday, June 8, 2013 - Another "floor" . .

For the assembly of the vertical parts of the third and "last floor" (the horizontal elements are constituted by the deck itself, beams included) I used a different approach. 

First thing, I installed the central vertical piece (45b) that was the one best fitting with all the joints for the beams exactly in front of each bulkhead. I then let the glue to dry for a couple of hours to be sure this piece was properly fixed. In the meantime I went to the supermarket and when I was back I resumed the work.

01 p1090510.jpg

Later I mounted the other pieces 45a, that is, those aft. Like 45b I had no problems with the joints.

Then I dedicated to the pieces 45c (from centre to prow). Here the joints were definitely "so and so", then I took the correct measurements and I have adapted the joints to the current position of the bulkheads. On the right side these corrections were very limited, on the left side instead I had to correct more.

This fact is indicative of something that does not fit 100% in my assembly, even if the problem, as it seems to me, does not bother me too much: I want to remember that the deck will be covered with planks (at the proper time) and all the gaps will be hidden. I have a theory of how this problem can be born but it is long to explain, especially in writing. .     

02 p1090511.jpg

03 p1090512.jpg

04 p1090514.jpg

05 p1090515.jpg

Rather I would like to emphasize something never observed so far: installing the beams, it happens that the deck, applied over the latter, remains adrift about 1-1.5 mm from the vertical parts (45a-b-c) thus showing a gap just below. Personally I consider it, the first till now, a probable, recoverable, small error in the project.

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images: with an extra bonus image 06 . . 

Just to better understand I show here below what are pieces 45a/b/c.

post-1168-0-65606200-1370808573_thumb.jpg
Edited by jack.aubrey

I'm still a little lost about this kit.  Maybe because I don't know the term "partwork"  and how you are using the word "issue."  Do I understand correctly that the parts for the kit come in the mail for one section at a time?

It's a fun build to watch,

Kurt 

KayZee, the DeAgostini kits are normally released weekly in the form of a magazine.

Basically you just go to your newspaper stand and get the next issue (or you can order a subscription, then they send it to your house just as any other newspaper subscription would be).

The "Magazine" contains the booklet itself (16 pages i believe) plus an assortment of pre-cut parts (partwork) - just imagine buying a computer magazine with CD/DVD Cases attacked to it.

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I do that with my big HMS Victory, you got information about ships from these age of sailing. It is a little bit more expensive as a normal kit but you get better instructions to build your ship.

Edited by cpt. Tom

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

The Sovereign of the Seas 1/84

commissioning

HMS Supply

Thanks Jasseji for you answer to Kayzee; you described exactly what is a De Agostini partwork.

I hope your answer is enough for Kayzee, anyway I'm ready for additional informations.

You can select two kinds of subscriptions (here in Italy, but I feel may be the same abroad):

1. with a news-stand on a weekly basis (one issue every week); you have to go to the news-stand to get your personal copy;
  2. directly with De Agostini, in this case De agostini ships you by mail service a parcel containing four issues. This means you get a parcel every month at home.

At the end you get the same final result, at the same price, but if you select the second choice you get, some additional gifts that often are useful during your build.

Regards, Jack.Aubrey 

Hi Jack,

I still follow you in silence….

I go to my bookstore on Saturday to see if the gonna get it.

I know they've got  the Victory but maybe they can do something for me to get the 12 Apostles.

She is just looking great!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - Installation of beams

This afternoon I had a couple of hours that I immediately dedicated to the Twelve Apostles.

For consistency I painted hazelnut the internal sides of the new parts of the false decks, operation I said earlier totally useless . . but I like it.

Then I installed the beams, provided in the issues 20 and 21. Nothing special to say for their assembly. I glued a strip 3 x 3 on the first bulkhead, in a such a way position to assure a strong support for the deck that must be installed over. This basis, in the original project does not exist, but the assembly will certainly be more accurate and also stronger.

Then I started to think a possible way to implement the camber of the deck of this model, since as usually happen, this element is sistematically ignored since forever by De Agostini (or better, the kit manufacturers who design these model for her). I found it but, anyway, consistently with my role of "pioneer" (?) that was assigned to me in the DeAgostini forum I decided not to implement it but, just to make myself useful to those users, this method can be copied without difficulty by those who wish to implement this important particular.

In the following photos, especially in the more detailed, you will notice that next to each beam in the bow area (but I think to continue with all the others, I glued to a side of the original beam, another piece of "home made" reinforcement, made with poplar plywood 5 mm thick.

Well, this particular may seem like a simple reinforcement, and I have actually used in this way, but it would be enough that the top of this reinforcement was properly shaped that automatically you will have a new beam with the camber in place. At this point it remains only to paste the deck above this curve and the game is done. The bonding would be a bit more complex, because there is a minimal sheer, but definitely possible. . 

01 p1090522.jpg

02 p1090523.jpg

03 p1090524.jpg

The last image shows the placement of a half deck segment at the bow, reproducing a problem that another builder has, and probably more, in this area. More precisely it is located near the bulkhead number 3 . How I believe we can infer from this picture, the same problem, although to a lesser extent, is present also in my build, I will use for it a corrective method that I hope, if successful, to show you in the future.

04 p1090525.jpg

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.

High Definition Images:

The following picture shows the problem as it appears to another user . .

post-1168-0-60050400-1371129990_thumb.jpg

Very smart thing to turn these flat decks into something more realistic. I have never seen a flat outside deck on a ship.

Hi Yves.

For a reason that probably I will never be aware, all the kits managed by De Agostini since this company started this kind of model shipbuilding, the "always present camber" was never implemented.

My first model from De Agostini was the Santìsima Trinidad, then followed the USS Constitution, the french Soleil Royal, the british Victory and the Sovereign of the Seas and now the russian Twelve Apostles. All these kits had flat decks.

I know many experience ship modeler criticised this approach but there were no changes.

And, as you can probably understand, it should not be difficult to implement this aspect, especially with the Twelve Apostles.

I manage the ship modeling forum of De Agostini in Italy as moderator and, having in addition the unofficial role of "pilot builder", I understand that If I implement the camber in my models I cannot make a comparative work vs the other forum members. So, in spite of myself, I do not change the basic project.

But any time I start a new De Agostini model I discover that I must always answer to the following question: shall I implement the camber or not ? And until now the answer was not.

Kind regards, Jack. 

A weekly installment kit??

That sounds interesting and oddly kind of cool.  I wonder if that have anything like that here in the states.

The build is incredible.   It looks so complex already, very impressive!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

SkerryAmp, it is only in the UK area. They don't sell to the USA. I have try a few times talking to the company but it not going to happen. Like you and a few others I would like to try one. The company that makes some of the kits don't sell them outright as a full kit either, not sure why.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - Beams and decks

Today I continued to work on reinforcing beams I began Tuesday. So with the usual strip of poplar plywood used for the first four beams, I continued with the others installed in the center section of the hull. The stern is excluded for the moment because at present time I finished all the material, I have to wait for new shipments.

01 p1090530.jpg

Next, since all the measurements made confirmed me the accuracy of the positioning of this first segment of the deck, on the contrary to my initial intentions not to fix anything until I had not even the last deck segment at poop, I decided to fix it permanently.

The two images here below show the deck fixed also with the help of some "temporary" nails, that will be subsequently removed or leveled.

In the two images can be seen as the first bulkhead is not exactly parallel to the others: it is visible a small wedge (in white because the glue is still not totally dry) with a maximum thickness of 1.5 mm on the left side of the hull. I can not understand how it happened, given the particular mounting method I adopted, but this worries me little or nothing.

02 p1090531.jpg

03 p1090532.jpg

Finally, the "problem" of the gap below the deck, between it and the underlying vertical wall. The photo here below shows this gap in a simple and clear way. The fact that the gap has everywhere the same width, it makes me think more of something desired rather than a design error, topic that has been discussed some messages above.

04 p1090534.jpg

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The boxes, to simulate the viewing of the underlying deck, finished. In picture 01 they are shown capsized . .

01 p1090542.jpg

while in this other photo (02) these boxes are shown from the visible side, anyway with the deck not yet applied. . the black color is normal acrylic paint, the bottom is planked with beech strips (distributed in issue 20).

02 p1090543.jpg

In picture 03, instead, the deck is fixed on the hull. It is mostly perfect: there is a minimal  misalignment of +/-0.5 mm, but after the installation of three floors (deck and false decks), I am really happy with this result. 

03 p1090546.jpg

In the next post i'll show more pictures of the work done to date. Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Five photos of the model with all the material delivered until issue 21 installed. Of course, I'm excluding some material such as cannons, anchors, etc., which, as I had occasion to write in the past, I will not work on until the right time, that I think will be quite forward. I'm thinking to make some photos of this kind of material, that is available, just to show the quality of the small but very important details. Be patient, please.

Since monday I will dedicate to my other models, at least until the arrival of the next delivery.

Until now I have not found problems worthy of the name.

However, here below you can see the whole hull skeleton, now waiting for new pieces. May be I will have to wait from 15 to 20 days for next four issues.  

01 p1090544.jpg

02 p1090545.jpg

03 p1090547.jpg

04 p1090548.jpg

05 p1090549.jpg

Cheers, Jack.

High Resolution Images:

Jack,

Very nice work. The ship is developing well. I will be interested to see how the planking goes in the not too distant future.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Very nice progress!

Enjoying watching this as it goes on, can't wait to see it with the planking.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks to all for your comments . . 

As promised I publish here some images, unfortunately of a quite bad quality due to some resizing, of some elements that have been distributed in practically every issue that I have only watched and archived . . for now.

Carronades .. 

post-1168-0-39788200-1371559490_thumb.jpgpost-1168-0-05563700-1371559509_thumb.jpg

Anchor . . 

post-1168-0-93571000-1371559524_thumb.jpg

the steering wheel

post-1168-0-79907400-1371559537_thumb.jpg

and something else unidentified . .

post-1168-0-22379100-1371559553_thumb.jpg

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey

• 2 weeks later...
Friday 28, Saturday, June 29, 2013 - Issue 22

Thanks to a friend I got the material of issue 22. While the work I'm doing on the Soleil Royal is very dispersive, during the frequent breaks due to waiting, I decided to start the installation of the last segment of the main deck.

Let's start with the beams: in the first two pictures you can see these items installed, and like the previous ones below the already installed deck segments, they are reinforced with a strip of poplar plywood of 5mm.

01 p1090518.jpg

02 p1090519.jpg

Later I started to mount the boxes that simulate the deck below. The floor is already planked, I have now to paint the inside of the two boxes to continue.

03 p1090524.jpg

In the next two images, the two elements of the last deck segment positioned although obviously not yet glued. They "entered at home" without almost having to work on. . incredible.

04 p1090520.jpg

05 p1090523.jpg

Cheers. Jack.Aubrey

High Resolution Images:

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Today I finished the installation of the third segment of the deck.

Nothing to positively or negatively report regarding this task.

The only detail to be noted concerns the two openings on this deck segment where below are located the two "boxes" (shown in my previous message) now with the inside colored in black and with the bottom planked with strips 3 x 0.5 mm: the internal sides dimension of these two boxes are smaller than the sides dimension of the openings located on the above deck. 

So the deck does not completely fit with the two boxes. . a small defect that honestly I did not expect and that is not present, for example, in the middle deck segment.

It will be necessary to remedy.

Regards, Jack.Aubrey.

01 p1090532.jpg

02 p1090529.jpg

03 p1090530.jpg

04 p1090531.jpg

High Resolution Images:

The issues come out on newsstands on a weekly basis, but the kind of subscription I made with the De Agostini involves shipments on a monthly basis by parcel post. The monthly pack always contains four issues.

The next shipment will contain issues 22, 23, 24 and 25.

As I wrote, I received issue 22 from a friend, which I will return him as soon as I'll receive the monthly parcel. I hope everything is clear, Jack.Aubrey

• 2 weeks later...