Sizing anchor chains - Moved to appropriate sub-forum

Ahoy Mates,

I'm building an old Model Shipways' (solid hull) 3/16' Topsail Schooner Eagle. I need to determine what size chain I need for the anchors and bowsprit chains. I have no idea how to size the chains to scale. I also don't know where to get the chain; Micro Mark or Model Expo. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

TMAN

The Floating Drydock carries some very nice 3D printed stud-link anchor chains and ordinary metal chains in various sizes:

http://www.floatingdrydock.com/

Smaller vessels like schooners often used cables (heavy rope) instead of chains, especially prior to the 20th century.

Cable/chain size depended upon the weight of the anchor, and that depended upon the size (tonnage) of the ship. Zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models (page 240) has a table of stud-link chain sizes for various ship tonnages. Sailing ships often carried two or three different sizes of anchors, each with its own cable size.

For more modern vessels you can just look on line for anchor and chain suppliers to get the proper sizes.

Thanks Dr PR, I'll check out Floating Drydock and check out Zu Mondfeld's page 240. But what I am trying to determine is in "model size" how many links to the foot of chain I should use for a 3/16" scale model. I'm using an 18th century Continental Type anchor. 

Thanks, TMAN

I tried to do some scale work for you. Here is what I come up with.

If you start with Zu Mondfeld's table for chain thickness.  I took for example a 100 ton vessel requires a chain thickness of 20mm.  My guesstimate is that the length of the link will be about 5 times the thickness.  That gives you a length of 100mm for each link which equals 3.875 inches.

You mentioned your model is 3/16 : foot or 1:64. So a scale link is 0.06 in long

That works out to about 16 or 17 links per inch (LPI)..  Which will be the specification you will find most chain sold by

I do not know the tonnage of your vessel but I am sure you can look that up.

Someone correct me if my math is wrong.

Regards

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

John,

Are you talking about the "wire" diameter of the rod the chain is formed from? The length certainly isn't six times the width.

Loved it..... merci!

All the best,

TMAN

Current build: Model Shipways Topsail Schooner, "Eagle," 1847

Prior Builds: NY Pilot Boat, "Phantom;"  " Gertrude Thebaud;" 1929 & Henry Hudson's "Half Moon" 1609.

• 5 months later...

Hello TMAN,

I also have and am working on a model of the Gertrude L Thebuad, by Marine Model Co., Inc. The kit is labelled 'Model No. 1090' and like you I plan on using only the hull portion of the kit. I plan on scratch building all the remaining (necessary) components, with emphasis on creating a higher detailed out come.

I would be interested in seeing photos of your build and was wondering if you have posted them on NRG or some other site.

Regards,

ODDS

Odds

Should you need additional details, if you do not already have it, get a copy of Chapelle's American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935.  As the Gertrude Thebaud was built in 1930, the book has a lot of appropriate details from fittings to rigging.   I love/hate this book.  I love the details and use it extensively when building a schooner model.  I hate the fact that the index only gives boat names, nothing on specific items.  It takes a bit of hunting through the book at times, but it is definitely the best source of period information for the schooners such as your build that I have seen.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 months later...

Allan,

Thanks for the note regarding Chapelle's American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935. I too have the same love / hate relationship regarding the lack of a useful index; but I do love the details and graphics. I've been using this and other source material for a long time, schooners being a particular favorite subject.

Thanks again,

ODDS