HMS Triton by Oskar24 – Scale 3/16”

It’s now time to Start my First Build: Back on May-25-2019 I bought the Triton Build drawings from MSW. I was not ready then to start ship modeling but now, after one year of reading related books, looking at countless wonderful post on this forum and study the drawings I have I’m ready to start building Triton. I have printed the jig and the keel plans to 3/16” scale and looking in the other drawings to familiarize myself on what is ahead.

My knowledge on ships terminology is VERY limited but I found the build log from Dan Vadas who built the HMS Vulture very helpful. His log is divided in sections and on each section he describes the name of each item and what it does and so besides the technics I also learn the terminology.

I have read the “How to set up your log” on this forum and I hope the title I post is correct. My build will be in wood from scratch and I think it’s called POF

I’m looking for advise / suggestions on my first steps. My plan is to build the jig (I have seen some here), glue the jig plan on it and then cut the keel pieces and proceed installing. Then it will be the frames which I will first install the front and rear and then the middle ones.

Thank you

mtaylor and ccoyle reacted to this
  •  

Nicolas

Nicolas

Looks good, Nicolas.   I'll delete the other thread.  And no worries on this.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Working mostly to organize / print the drawings but today I also got the building board done. The board is a piece of 3/4” thick MDF 18”x34”. Perhaps it’s kind of small and heavy but dew to COVID-19 stores are closed today and I just had this piece in the shop. I stuck the drawings with double faced tape and if I find out later the board is too small, I will replaced it. When you have no experience, you pay for it with the extra work!

1B Jig Making.JPG

Nicolas

Looking forward to seeing another Triton build and a pof one to boot. 

Good luck with your ship👍😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks like you're off to a good start to me.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

My progress has been very slow on this projects but today I printed to scale the keel and hull plans. After studying the keel plan, I have a question for someone with experience.

In the attached pictures I have pointed with red arrows to some rectangles appearing on the Keelson and the False Keel. I would like to know what these rectangles represent plus on the side view there are 4 shown but on the plan view there are 5.

Thank you

KEEL 1A.JPG

KEEL1B.jpg

Nicolas

Hi Nicholas,

It's a while since I have been able to get near by own build of the Triton, but from memory I think you will find that these rectangles show the position of the scarf joints that join the various pieces. If you look at the central one on the plan view labelled 4 (keel) the view shows the type of joint from the side. The rectangles on 1 and 5 (keelson and false keel) are the same joint but viewed from above. The aim is to have the orientation of the joints on each separate assembly alternating for additional strength. The same joints appear on the side view but the other way round. Hope this makes sense!

Good luck with your build - I look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers,

Graham

In the plan views the top row represents the keelson scarphs, the middle row the keel scarphs and the bottom row the false keel joints. Compare them to the side view above them.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi to everyone.

Today I finished the building Jig. The building board (bottom piece) is 17-3/4” x 28-3/4” x 3/4”MDF, and the Jig board is 17-3/4” x 28-1/2” x 1/8” Pressboard. I would have liked to have the MDF in 1/2” because now it is too heavy but I had both pieces in the shop at the time and so I used them. The distance between the top of the building board to the top of the Jig board is 3-1/8”.

The supporting studs are a mixture of 1/4” and 5/16” threaded rods. Most of them I had them and did not even had to cut them to length. I don’t think it matters that some studs are a bit longer than the others but if I find they interfere with my future work I will cut them off with my Dremel.

I used a jigsaw to cut the opening in the Jig board and after with some filling and sand paper I finished to the line of the plan line(the line is visible and I don’t know if it should be).

Next step will be either the Keel or the Aft Deadwood.

Wishes to all for a great weekend.

3E Jig Completed.JPG

3F Jig Completed.JPG

Nicolas