Shrouds for Revell CSS Alabama

I would like to use the Revell chain plates for Revell's Alabama but add my own shrouds by deleting the existing shrouds but using their platform to attach new shrouds.  My question is: How should I attach the "new" shrouds to the platform? Eye bolts seem a possibility but the fit would be tight.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have used the plastic chains and channels.  I suspect this is what you mean by the "platform" for the shrouds.  I also used the kit's deadeyes and lanyards (the round things with ropes between them).  The only part I discarded was the preformed shroud and ratline piece (looks like a triangular ladder).  So, using the plastic parts, I set up the shrouds as was done in real practice.  The final result was quite pleasing.  You have already chosen plastic as the medium for your model, so there is no real requirement that you use wood deadeyes.  I have followed this procedure on three of the Revell 1:96 models.  They have gone the way of my childhood and are no longer available for photographs.

I'm pretty sure eyebolts are not the answer.  The choices really come down to setting up wood deadeyes or using the procedure I outline above.  I wish you the best as you complete your model.

Disclaimer:  perhaps I presume too little experience on your part, but your use of terminology tells me you are at the front end of the learning curve for rigging a model..

Wayne

As a teenager I started Revell's BOUNTY, but was not happy with these rubbery plastic shrouds. My knowledge was rather limited back then, but I looped the shrouds around the moulded deadeys prototype fashion. At a 1:120 scale I did not see a way to replace the moulded deadeye/lanyard assembly. With dry brushing one could probably make the moulded lanyards look quite convincing.

As always, a picture or two would help to illustrate the problem and put others into the position to give more specific advice.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wayne,  I really didn't express myself well at all.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'll try to clear things up.  First, I do intend to use wooden blocks and deadeyes.  My question has to do with replacing the plastic Revelle shrouds with sets of wooden deadeyes.  If I cut the plastic shrouds off, it should leave me with a plastic plank to which I'd like to attach the deadeye sets.  How best to attach the wooden deadeyes to the plastic "platform" is the

basic question.  Here are two photos of the current state of the model.  Wooden deck work well, I think.

20200521_183834.thumb.jpg.e11c9a757b1eac1f1f7d809a6d45ca97.jpg 20200521_183755.thumb.jpg.e44b51ff618dac34c9d9f0fb3c36590d.jpg20200521_183834.thumb.jpg.e11c9a757b1eac1f1f7d809a6d45ca97.jpg