HMS Victory by James H - Amati - 1:64

Well, this one has been a LONG time coming. 

IMG_0533.jpg

I mean, this lockdown seems to have lasted a lifetime, so the original notice of Amati's now almost mythical 1:64 HMS Victory seems to have been such a long time ago! A lot of water has passed under the bridge since 2013 when Chris drove to Italy with the original design model in late 2013. Amati had enough general interest about their Victory from modellers to warrant then asking me to build a production prototype for the new format instruction manuals they now use. There were a few changes from Chris' original kit too, and Amati wanted those incorporated in the new manuals. 

Those manuals (yes, plural!) will contain (tentatively) around 1500 build photos, and be perfect-bound, glossy productions. I've already broken down Chris' construction into a multitude of chapters, with each depicting a specific sequence/task. For example, there will be a chapter for building each size of gun, each of the launches, the stove, first planking, but also for fitting out whole decks. 

For this build, I will use the existing manuals that Chris made when he finished his kit.

IMG_0534.jpg

Since Chris designed the model, Amati's laser manufacturer had changed the specs on sheet size that they could cut, so the sheet layouts needed to be rehashed for the new sizes. That was done earlier this year, but just when everything looked like it was going to plan (again), Italy, then the rest of the world, went into lockdown. So here we now are on the other side....just about.

DHL delivered the HUGE box not long ago, and it is fantastically heavy! What is omitted at the moment are some first layer planks that they will ship when back in stock, and the cannon and figurehead. They won't be needed for a long time. They are also waiting on the copper PE, but I do have all the sheets of brass PE here. So, we have bags of laser-cut material (MDF, ply, timber), sleeves of strip (lots of them!), bags of PE and a whole bag of various fittings. I already have the thirty-one sheets of plans. 

Remember, this isn't a review, but just a build log. I cant review something like this which isn't quite complete. That's not the purpose. 

79358121_2525552824218508_7690968808478998528_o.jpg

Inside the box, all the laser cut parts were bagged into two thick poly sleeves. These packs were of course the real weight behind this delivery. I'll open them later to look through them but I've included a few images they sent me of the parts before they shipped out.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

79277695_3002956359811483_6241019428234613974_o.jpg

83755185_3002956563144796_1739759354598250143_o.jpg

105704037_3002956616478124_8804210118073420844_o.jpg

106055840_3002956369811482_3243603529406988792_o.jpg

106132201_3002956383144814_1905071599333303119_o.jpg

106136588_3002956519811467_6374751089096213618_o.jpg

106184751_3002956553144797_6149973815712659393_o.jpg

The sheer quantity of strip and dowel in this model is bewildering. The only time I've seen as much as this is when I've been in a hobby shop!

IMG_0535.jpg

Fittings. Usually Amati pack these into trays, but for this purpose, all the stuff is in little bags and sleeves and bundled into this substantial bag. You name it, and it's in here...

IMG_0538.jpg

Photo etch: Here's all the brass sheet stuff. I am waiting on the copper parts yet, but thought you'd like to see these.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg 

As I've been promising this kit arriving for a long time, I felt the need to stick my flag in the ground and start a build log showing the stuff that I now have.

I won't be actually starting this until after 3rd August as I'll be away, plus I also have a project I need to take care of before that (written article, not a build).

So....there we have it!!!

**Apologies for phone camera pics too. The build will be done like my typical studio photos**

Gargantuan models are not my personal cup of tea as a builder, but I strongly suspect that this will be a big hit for Amati and am really looking forward to watching your progress.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Could this be  The most accurate Victory  replica yet?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So tempting, but I estimate would need at least 3 years for this. With 4 projects already on list, I think this would be a build too far. But  who knows.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Don’t have to wait till monday to see something 👍

When your finished with this beast, i’ll be like this —> 👨🏼‍🦯

Enjoy your vacation (if it is vacation ) en come back in safe health!

Sjors

I’ll definitely be watching this and enjoy building it vicariously. No way am I interested in building something so large, but it will be fun watching you do it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Im very interested, though I cant say Im particularly thrilled to see another Victory kit in the market - perhaps this one will become THE one.      Looks like a lot of design work and prep went into it congrats to them, happy to follow along.   Thanks for sharing with us all James.

i have followed this from the early days, so pleased it has got to this stage, unfortunately i dont think i will get the change to build this one, but will gladly watch others go through the process

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

47 minutes ago, Admiral_Farragut said:

is this available to purchase or still prototype?

James is building the second prototype and will be taking photographs for the instruction manuals along the way. Amati says the release date will be toward the end of 2021 -- realistically you might want to add a few months on to that.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Late 2021 gives some entrepreneurs time to create some scale furniture and/or fixtures and the odd crew to put inside the ship, in one or more cabins, underneath one of the main hatches etc, captain at his desk perhaps. I gather there’s a detailed laser scan of the ship, perhaps those looking to gather support could commercialize that data in other ways. Just thinking 🤔 

That is going to be huge.. and I thought 1:64 frigates were large.   I salute you for this project, Jim.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

38 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That is going to be huge.. and I thought 1:64 frigates were large.   I salute you for this project, Jim.  

Its Screaming out for a Trafalgar  dio on it  though.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

WOW is an understatement for this monster.

Will be following your build with interest. What do you reckon a couple of weeks?:D:D

When you paint, will it be pink or the IMO correct scheme of yellow?

Looking forward to the start of your build.

Good Luck,

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson