Grecian 1812 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - protype build of US Baltimore Clipper Privateer Schooner

Ok folks,

This kit will be hitting the doormat tomorrow so I'll be starting work tomorrow afternoon. Again, this is a prototype for the kit, and I'll be doing the kit manual pics and text as I go.

Grecian-Main-Lines.jpg

Some history, abridged from Wiki
Grecian was an American schooner launched in 1812. During the War of 1812 she received a letter of marque. The Royal Navy captured her on 5 February 1814 and took her into service as HMS Grecian. She was sold in 1822. In 1823 she became a merchantman. In 1824 the Chilean Navy captured her, but she escaped, and thereafter may have served for a time as a Spanish privateer. After the end of the Peruvian War of Independence she apparently returned to more conventional pursuits and was probably lost in 1829 though she was still listed in 1830 as sailing between London and Lima.

521089091_Grecianmastprofile.thumb.jpg.6fb02b1c3f4e498d00196f42a74609a9.jpg

She had a long, curving stem, and a shallow, less convex bow. Grecian's first captain was James Phillips, and under him she had made one voyage to France. She received letter of marque No. 944 in December 1813, under Captain Knapp. She had not captured anything before the boats of HMS Jaseur cut her out under the guns of a battery field pieces on East River, in Chesapeake Bay on 2 May 1814. The British cutting out party under Lieutenant West, first lieutenant of Jaseur, rowed up silently in the night, drove Knapp and the seven members of the crew on watch below deck, fastened the hatches, cut her cables, and sailed off. The British commissioned her as HMS Grecian under the command of Lieutenant Henry Jewry. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars, Grecian was deployed on anti-smuggling duties in the Channel, and captured a good number of vessels, including Betsey, Nancy, and Market Maid. On 18 August 1818 Lieutenant Nathaniel Martin was appointed captain of Grecian. Between 30 August 1819 and 20 January 1820, Grecian made several small captures. Grecian made further sundry small captures on 16 May 1820, 27 March 1821, 20 April, 6 May, and 2 August.

She was paid off in 1821. The Admiralty put Grecian up for sale in April 1822 at Portsmouth. She was sold to Joshua Crystall for £510 on 18 April 1822.

Initial prototype photos
These are the builds Chris did to test the initial fit of parts prior. Here is where initial changes take place before sending out the materials to me. There may still be changes made as I build, and I will then pass those onto Chris, but the hull of this is quite different to other gunned vessels, so the usual trials and tribulations will be much less.

1809951671_Grecianquickanddirtybuild8.jpg.032bb7b140c611cead40249ee0860508.jpg

1756311306_Grecianquickanddirtybuild6.jpg.566a46f8430c55c3d0de8b50d50a3559.jpg

319076081_Grecianquickanddirtybuild5.jpg.8720eb0a963f173aebef2ab5b8906b6f.jpg

588028522_Grecianquickanddirtybuild1.jpg.16d3f0e24dc0d39f12dabfe7715cad10.jpg

More stuff when the parts land here...

1 hour ago, James H said:

This kit will be hitting the doormat tomorrow so I'll be starting work tomorrow afternoon.

No rest for the weary, eh?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

What I have sent Jim is essentially a complete kit for Grecian, with the USB stick with my assembly pics instead of the manual. He will have all laser cut parts, photo etched sheets (which arrived this morning)! fittings, wood strip and dowel and a set of full size plans - all in a box custom sized for this kit.

Almost forgot, also a Grecian paint set!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

27 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Almost forgot, also a Grecian paint set!

Don't forget to include a bottle of Grecian Formula!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

On 2/23/2023 at 7:04 PM, ccoyle said:

Don't forget to include a bottle of Grecian Formula!

You've got to have hair to worry about that!

Ok, an update. If you've followed other build logs or downloaded previous instructions, you'll see much that's familiar at this stage. There has been a developmental curve that can be traced through the various kits as they've been released, and you'll always find those advances in subsequent releases. I see a lot in this that have come from the Duchess kit, through Sphnx, Indy, and even the more humble fishers. Here, we start with the obligatory build cradle. The stern of Grecian sits far deeper in the water than the bow, so the cradle deals with that, and you'll see a little pip in one keel slot. The sits in an opening in the hull, angling the hull properly so the waterline can accurately be marked and the model displayed at the correct attitude.

1.jpg

4.jpg

Here is the keel, designed to accommodate SEVENTEEN bulkheads! This will be a sturdy model. The first slot is ID'd with '1' to correspond with the first numbered bulkhead. From there, just work backwards. At this stage, NO glue is to be used.

5.jpg

8.jpg

Bulkhead #9 is made from two identical parts, glued back to back. When made, the bulkhead is fitted to the keel, again with no glue.

10.jpg

11.jpg

The last bulkheads are fitted, except for the rearmost one. No glue!

13.jpg

All those bulkheads, for the moment, can move about a little. A lot of that is now removed by sliding full length doublers down each side of the keel, directly up against it. These are in two parts per side. 

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18c.jpg

...continued

Those doublers are now pinned into place with a series of plugs. These are glued into position.

20.jpg

Before the sub decks can be fitted, the need bolstering a little from below towards the stern. These two parts are now fitted which create a firm base for the sub decks. Those sub decks are now DRY FITTED into place.

21.jpg

22a.jpg

22b.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Now, we have a lot of unglued joints that could come apart, so this is stopped by gluing a series of plugs through the holes in the bulkheads, holding the sub decks firmly in position, and all the other parts in a perfect position.

26.jpg

27a.jpg

And the last in this update shows the final bulkhead, with the various forms glued into place prior to being shaped and secured to hull.

29.jpg

....until next time.

This looks awesome. I love Baltimore clippers, and wish this had come out before I struggled so much building a terrible Corel kit. Will be fun to see this coming together.

Edited by Cathead

Update No.2. This will be in 3 parts as it's almost 40 photos. 

The hull is currently in a state of being faired, so I'll show the hull up to just before then, plus all the other things I've built up.

Pre-bevelling was done on the stern section that I built in the last update, and this was then dry slotted into the bulkhead slot on keel. This can be finalised when the hull is being faired. 

30.jpg

31.jpg

Longitudinal bracing parts are now slotted across all of the bulkheads, except for #1. Again, this is dry fitted. No glue needed yet. These parts will further solidify the bulkhead positions.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34a.jpg

The previous parts incorporated a section of the poop superstructures, and the next two parts will add further elements of this. All will become clearer.

35.jpg

36.jpg

At the bow, we have more parts that slot into bulkheads, creating the sides of the bowsprit entry point, and also to add fairing and planking.

38.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Beams are now fitted across the open bulkheads. There are three different types of beam, relating to the position and camber. 

44.jpg

A 0.8mm ply deck is now fitted. This is thin enough to be slightly bent and pushed into position into the slots at the bottom of each bulkhead ear. This usually gives a nice, satisfying click when finally located.

50.jpg

....continued.

Like Indy, the hull can now be safely turned over as all parts are locked in place with the pegs, and also with the deck, in this case. Dilute glue is now painted into all the various joints and seams.

53.jpg

Filler parts are added to both bow and stern so the planking as something to adhere to.

57a.jpg

Here you see the stern superstructures now being built up. One of these will be the WC and the other is presumably sone sort of locker.

61a.jpg

61b.jpg

On with the coamings. These are nice and easy to build up. Once glued, the lasered edges are removed and the sides evened up. The grates are left out until the coamings are fitted to the deck. This simply aids correct positioning on the deck.

DSC_2430.jpg

DSC_2432.jpg

Capstan. This is identical in construction to those on just about every other VM kit. They are so easy to build up and the fittings precise.

DSC_2468.jpg

DSC_2475.jpg

DSC_2476.jpg

Skylight. Although different in size to the one Iast added to Indy, the appearance is very similar, and the construction also nice and simple. PE parts are included for the hinges and window frames. The modeller can use a bit of acetate, if they wish, to glaze the panes from the underside.

DSC_2478.jpg

DSC_2479.jpg

DSC_2505.jpg

....more. As I've done quite a lot, I've very much abridged the number of photos for each stage.

Binnacle. This is smaller than those I've built for British vessels but identical in construction. The chimney is turned brass as per Indy, Sphinx etc. 

DSC_2499.jpg

DSC_2502.jpg

DSC_2504.jpg

A single ladder is now built for the deck hatch opening. 

DSC_2490.jpg

Grecian will come with more armament than you'll actually need. This means that you will be able to choose the gun combination that you prefer, and we will supply options for you. These photos show the carronades and two sizes of cannon. All this before I actually plank the hull!

DSC_2463.jpg

DSC_2496.jpg

DSC_2528.jpg

DSC_2530.jpg

DSC_2462.jpg

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2521.jpg

DSC_2524.jpg

DSC_2525.jpg

Until next time.

Good evening James.  What skill level will be given to this kit once it becomes available?  When my Syren Medway long boat is finished in the near future I have decided I will do a Vanguard build next.  I was leaning towards Lady Eleanor or Zulu, how will this kit compare in difficulty?  Thanks.  Bob

8 hours ago, Diver said:

Good evening James.  What skill level will be given to this kit once it becomes available?  When my Syren Medway long boat is finished in the near future I have decided I will do a Vanguard build next.  I was leaning towards Lady Eleanor or Zulu, how will this kit compare in difficulty?  Thanks.  Bob

I think I will put this one just one above the fishing boat kits. It builds up almost like the Erycina/Ranger, except the bulwarks are triple layered instead of double, it has plenty of guns and, of course, it is a lot larger. But design principles are more or less identical to my beginner kits.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Weekend update time.

I've done a bit of jumping around on Grecian over the last week as the engraved deck was modified and I've been waiting on some areas of the hull to dry. The bowsprit is now built, but I'll leave that to the next update. Some mast work has also been done. For the moment though, I'll show you where I am with the hull.

On my last update, the hull was at this stage. I now had to add the bulwarks. These will form the inner 1mm core of the final bulwark. As with the other kits, these are engraved on the inner face so that you can align the lower engraved line to the deck level. No soaking is needed with these whatsoever. I did score and pin towards the rear where the bulkheads have a tighter curve, but the stuff is all very easy and I'll show what I did in detail for kit.

68.jpg

69.jpg

These parts are pinned and clamped until dry, but with no glue between the bulwark and the bulkhead ear above deck level.

71.jpg

Here is that same bulwark from the rear, with the scored and pinned area evident on the lower bulwark.

73.jpg

Unusually for a kit like this, we don't yet do the planking. This is because we need to bolster those gunport arches. The outer bulwark is first dry fitted to the core bulwark and a pencil used to draw along the underside and the position where the channels will eventually slot in. This is simply so I know where to glue, and importantly, NOT to glue. I want to keep those channel slots free from glue clogging them up.

76.jpg

77.jpg

Each outer bulwark is now glued in place. It's important to make sure they are adhered from top to bottom, but also vital that the tops of the gunport arches are properly glued. You can never have too many clamps! To ensure no error creeps in with the port positions between layers, the midship ports were first aligned and I words towards the stern and clamped, and then towards the bow and also clamped. If you get the midship ports properly aligned, you should find no error along the positioning of the others. My tip is simply a precaution for those who may tend to misplace a part slightly.

78.jpg

79.jpg

Again, we are so used to removing the bulkhead ears after planking, but we are doing this early, to further strength those gunport arches. First of all, the ears are twisted off with some pliers...

80.jpg

...and then sanded flush with the deck.

81.jpg

The laser-engraved lime deck is now ready to be fitted. The easiest way to do this is to mostly NOT glue it! On the prototype, the deck was simply glued down the centre and then the engraved inner bulwarks clamped into place on either side to hold it all down until the glue line set. Once dry, the inner bulwarks can be removed, allowing the deck to spring back up along the edges...but that's just fine.

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

Those same inner bulwarks are now carefully glued into place, one at a time, making sure the port all line up properly and the tops of the bulwarks are at the same height. The deck edges will now be held firmly down.

86.jpg

You'll note that the outer bulwark doesn't extend anywhere as deep as the mid core. This is to allow you to add first planking without damaging the outer engraved bulwark.

87.jpg

That's all for now. Next update will show this all planked.

great update James

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Really nice work. Can't wait for the release. 

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

I'm loving this model's development.

The unique design of the schooner itself, the history. It incorporates many of Chris' most recent engineering innovations in a smaller "package" that'll comfortably fit into a unique presentation. I'm thinking the Grecian can possibly be set into my next diorama depicting a cutting-out action in the Chesapeake (now within a stone's throw to my new home near the same).

I'm also thinking a completed model and diorama might be appropriately called: "Asleep At The Helm."

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 4 weeks later...

By popular demand...an update!

Before the planks could be added, the inner lower counter was glued into place with both pins and clamps holding it until dry. The hole on the left side denotes the ablutionary facilities escape hole.

90.jpg

The job of adding first planks could now start. A reasonable amount of taper at the bow, but none at the stern for this one.

91.jpg

94.jpg

98a.jpg

With the lime planking complete, the keel is then faced on both sides with engraved, 1mm pear. Location pegs are there to assist with getting the parts in absolutely the right place. This is all then thoroughly clamped until set. Adding these parts has created a rebate which will help with the second layer of planks.

101.jpg

The rudder post is now built up in the same manner, then glued into position on the hull.

104.jpg

105.jpg

Gluing the post in place allows us to correctly glue the outer lower counter. This doesn't need to be soaked, but just make sure it's thoroughly clamped while the glue sets!

107.jpg

Everybody loves planking, and I'm no exception. I couldn't wait to get all this done and sanded. Now she's looking the part...

111.jpg

112.jpg

...Continued.

All gun ports are now cleaned up and the tops of the bulwarks sanded. The hole for the bowsprit entry is also cleaned up with the bulkheads being cut back to the same position. Also note the single-piece Wales have been installed.

115.jpg

Before the stern can be fitted, the tail end is tickled with a rough stick.

117.jpg

118.jpg

120.jpg

And the MDF structures at the stern can now be sheathed in pear, making them look far prettier.

122.jpg

128.jpg

The rudder tiller exit fascia is now built and fitted.

132.jpg

...and Grecian now looks like this. Gorgeous lines.

135.jpg

Thanks for the update. Looks great!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Grecian is looking super, such an unusual but great looking boat. I think very likely my next build after completing Alert. Maybe Ranger beforehand in the highly unlikely event I complete Alert before the Grecian kit is launched. Grecian looks an easier step up than diving straight into Speedy/Flirt. 

Thanks for another excellent prototype build log James. I’m missing not having one of yours on Alert! 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

great update thank you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Just a quick update before I soon hit the copper.

Te hull is now more or less painted. A few touch-ups here and there, and there will be a flat coat afterwards. I added the sheen simply because it's less likely to mark when handling the hull. All paints here are from the forthcoming Grecian paint set.

136.jpg

The first task is to paint the outside band in off-white. This was left a while to cure before then masking it to add the black.

137.jpg

Once the hull was painted black, more judicious masking was done so the inner bulwarks could be painted. For this, I mixed about 95% green and 5% black.

138.jpg

The upper edge of the green was then masked and black paint carefully added to the upper section of the bulwark.

139.jpg

The finished paint job looks like this. Notice that I had masked off the slots for the channels, and also the inner bulwark positions for the various rails.

140.jpg

Off to cut a few more copper tiles!

Very dapper, fashion-forward! Can't wait to see her with her copper bottom and chrome fenders.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren