HMS Winchelsea Double Capstan kit by James H - 1:48

As I'm now on a brief respite from my usual stuff, I thought I'd fill in a little time with the HMS Winchelsea Double Capstan kit that I got from Syren a while ago. I'll work on this between killing aliens on my PlayStation and other important daily stuff 😁

This is a pic of the kit contents, minus the black filament that is used for the bolt heads. The first task was to gently clean up any surface scorch from the laser. Thankfully, there's very little, and I used both 320 and 400 grit paper to finish the surfaces. 

I'll be working on this over the next days and weeks. 

capstan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Only a little update as my workshop is a little indisposed at the moment, plus I'm heavily into a PlayStation game too. 😆

I really do like the colour of the timber in this little kit. The fest parts to use are for making the lower capstan. 

DSC_9593.jpg

The column sections are first slid onto the 1/16 square strip. Note the thicker one sits at the end. These are then glued to each other, but NOT the strip! Aligning these is easy as you simply align the edges which have the connection tabs present.

DSC_9594.jpg

DSC_9595.jpg

When dry, the narrow edges are cleaned up and evened out. These will be visible between the chocks. 

DSC_9598.jpg

DSC_9599.jpg

Now onto the whelps. This sheet is engraved on both sides to accommodate the chocks.

DSC_9596.jpg

DSC_9597.jpg

As we all know, removing char is important 😉 The char on the outside edges of these is now carefully removed. 

DSC_9601.jpg

More as soon as I can get back into my workshop!

This was a nice little kit very well designed and I just finished it myself.  

1 hour ago, James H said:

plus I'm heavily into a PlayStation game too. 😆

Haha! Endwalker just dropped and I am pretty sure it's available on a PS.  Enjoy!