HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

This will be a more conventional kit. I cannot go as far as did with Sphinx for two reasons. The first being that the sheer size of this would make it way too expensive. The second reason is that this kit will be aimed at more experienced modellers, more used to planking. Decks will be planked with strip and most of the outer hull will also be planked from the quarterdeck bulwarks down. This will be more like my Amati Victory designs. There will still be a silly amount of laser cut and PE parts, though.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

This is the one I've really been waiting for! I'm sure others are as well.

@chris watton Do you thing you will make a 3D printed figure of Captain Sir Edward Pellew?

21 minutes ago, BenD said:

This is the one I've really been waiting for! I'm sure others are as well.

@chris watton Do you thing you will make a 3D printed figure of Captain Sir Edward Pellew?

Would be rude not to!

logo.jpg

Very promising kit. I like the details on the gun carriage wheels.

The 3D printed guns are very crisp and usually better detailed than brass guns. I understand that brass guns would impact negatively the final price of the kit with so much armament, and 3D printed guns will reduce, weight, cost and already have the right color.

Yves

38 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Very promising kit. I like the details on the gun carriage wheels.

The 3D printed guns are very crisp and usually better detailed than brass guns. I understand that brass guns would impact negatively the final price of the kit with so much armament, and 3D printed guns will reduce, weight, cost and already have the right color.

Yves

Hardly any difference in price between brass and 3-d printed resin guns. In fact, brass barrels would probably work out cheaper. I prefer the 3-d printed versions, as they are all made directly from the master file and extra detail can be incorporated into the designs. Carronades are usually a real pain to do properly, more so turned brass types. I have tried to design the carronades to be as little hassle to build up as I can, there are 18 in a kit, so opted for a 'slot and glue' assembly method, so making assembling the 18 sets less of a chore, but still detailed enough for very close up shots.

If I thought turned brass cannon would be better, I would use them, there is no shortage of companies more than willing to do them. But I prefer the 3-d printed version. The extra weight of brass would be minimal, as this is dwarfed by the weight of plans, manual, PE and laser cut materials.

Please do not think I choose resin over metal because of price, nothing could be further from the truth. I just use whatever material I think is best for the part and  scale accuracy. If I were asked to do a one off commission, I would still chose SLA 3-d printed resin. I chose this method despite the time and costs involved.  Others will have different opinions, some like the weight of brass, but I do not care about that so much, as long as the end result looks good and can stand up to close scrutiny. 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

I too have been to Bucklers Hard  - amazing place  with so much history.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, BobG said:

Fantastic! What are the overall dimensions?

I am yet to draw the full profiles, but the hull itself will be around 885mm long. I guess dimensions will be roughly the same as the 64th Aggy I did over twenty years ago, except 20mm or so less in height but at least 50mm longer, as I will give Indy a flying jibboom. 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Indefatible  might have to be my 2022 Christmas present (if available in that time frame)?? Fantastic news and looking forward to following James and Chris on this one.  

Happy New year

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know, I haven't stopped working on Indy. This (beginning) stage takes a lot of time, and a lot of hull assemblies before the final hull design is decided - more so for Indy, as it has that darned little poop. At a later stage, I will try to explain in my thread the reasons for certain decisions I have made regarding appearance for this model.

There will be 9 different thickness of wood for this kit, so it won't be cheap. Also a full outfit of 5 boats.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick update. This will be the last one before work starts very shortly.

I'm making this update over TWO posts due to number of pics. These are just camera photos and won't represent anything you see in the manual.

Indy turned up with UPS this morning, and the box is large and heavy. In fact, the box isn't large enough yet as the masting, rigging, manual and plans also need to be included, as well as PE etc. The box was packed out as it was. This one took up two seats on my sofa.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

Take a look through and you'll notice some little things here and there. One of those is that the main gun deck carriages are tabbed so they slot into the deck and can't be knocked free later in the build. This is only an optional feature as the modeller can, if they wish, plank over the tab slots and remove the tab from the carriage. That would be up to the individual but this is a perfectly good solution that will be invisible when implemented. If also means the guns will be perfectly spaced too and the barrels therefore evenly protrude from the hull. Those barrels will also be fitted after the hull is painted, so attaching them later won't dislodge a gun cart.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

This is the engraved maple deck which won't be included as standard, unlike the other kits. This kit will have traditional planks for the deck, but it is quite likely that this option will be provided on release. If that happens, then the gun carriage location slots aren't likely to be there, and you'll simply open them up if you want use that kit feature. Oh, these parts are BIG!! My cutting mat is in 1cm squares, as a guide.

IMG_0221.jpg

Not fantastically clear here, but the ply sub decks are engraved with planks. This isn't the finish. It's designed to give you a template onto which to lay the kit planks. That will save the modeller having to mark up stuff themselves.

IMG_0222.jpg

Continued. 

I've grouped most of these photos into thickness of sheet, and there are a lot of various thicknesses with multiple sheets for them. You can see the tabbed gun carts here too. Those tabs are on the forward 'bulkhead', closest to the inner bulwarks.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

You're going to have to make FIVE ship's boats for this one!

Inner bulwarks are split into three sections to cover the entire length. There will also be doorways from the cabin into the quarter galleries. 

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

;) 3D printed stuff, like belfry, anchors etc. and I do see some copper tape there too.

IMG_0234.jpg

Quirks of prototyping. Various cabin floor sections. 

IMG_0235.jpg

LOTS of strip too.

IMG_0236.jpg

Decals for name and depth markings. Also, there is no white edge on that text. It's merely the light catching the ink edging! I have checked.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Lots of lovely detail on these sheets. I particularly like the look of the veneer which will cover the stem.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

What a massive heap of parts! Do you have enough space on the work bench for this beast?

On 12/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, chris watton said:

the outer hull will also be planked from the quarterdeck bulwarks down.

Personally I’m glad of this, better look in my opinion. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 5/4/2022 at 4:48 AM, chris watton said:

Indy 11.jpg

New post captain is thrilled when told he will captain the frigate Sphinx, sees the frigate Indefatigable and then 😳😩

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

42 minutes ago, d'brat said:

And the instruction manual(s) will probably be as long.  Absolutely amazing.  

That is a certainty! 

The manual for Sphinx is 152 pages with about 1000 photos and 27500 words. Over 900 construction stages. I think Indy will easily top that with another 50+ pages. It remains to be seen yet, but there are no corners being cut whatsoever. 

This is going to be awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Wow.... both amazed and intimidated though the thought of James' instructions do ease the intimidation.  But the result will be truly epic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very impressive. Looking forward to this build. Fantastic subject. I wonder how many hours James anticipates he'll need to complete this massive kit?  

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx