HMS Victory Models - Stern Question

So here's a question. I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but neither can I shake the idea of a Victory model in my future and I've been looking at many builds of all the different kit manufacturers and have noticed differences in the shape of the stern.

On the real ship, as it currently looks, the counter area of the stern has a very pronounced curve to it, like a bell curve.

victoryStern.JPG.f79b2a2bf761ea27eecf7cc19bf4494f.JPG

However, the models don't seem to all reflect this in the same way. It looks to me that in the Caldercraft kit, this curve is flattened somewhat:

caldercraftVictory.png.7452f18b98e1874811505de0bf959131.png

And I've noticed that on the Mamoli and Panart versions, it's flattened even more. It's almost dead straight across on the Mamoli.

The Billing version, however does seem to capture the steeper curve of the actual ship -

billingVictory.png.2252325df10b454a3deaded2ef17a1cc.png

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is is just the different angles of the pictures? Or did the stern have slightly different profiles at different times and the various models reflect those different profiles?

On the Mamoli version, which is virtually straight across, I suspect it's simply a matter of inaccuracy. But I would be interested to know about the Caldercraft version, because it does look slightly different to me than the real thing, and I'm curious to know why that might be.

Can anyone shed any light on this question?

Many thanks,

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Sometimes it is more of a question of perspective..

image.png.34ed65fdd37f595a6b30268ea51b54f9.png

This view of Caldercraft's stern appears to have a noticeable curve.

All of the images of the actual ship that I can find are from a perspective of looking up, which would tend to exaggerate the curve.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Gregory,

Yes, I now believe it is a question of perspective. My picture of the stern is from a low angle and isn't straight on. I think that angle distorts the appearance of the curve. Even the picture of the Billing Victory is from an angle, so the same thing occurs. The pictures of the Caldercraft are straight on.

I've since gone on line trying to find pictures of the stern that are straight on. They are few and far between, but I did find one.

It's from a lower angle, so it doesn't match perfectly, but it's straight on and when I superimpose it over the Caldercraft profile, the curves nevertheless line up really well. So I think that answers my question.

Thank you.

David

victoryComparison.png.351b9855d77722aac0a7a8a482811a4c.png

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

looks pretty good to my eye ...yes it would have a curve like that.   the severity depends a lot on the angle you look at it so it can be deceiving.

I am a little late to respond but I would suggest going to the National Maritime Museum website and look up the plans for Victory so you can see the correct curvature.  This is an excerpt from https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/79917.html which shows the stern curve.

image.png.87875b5a454a76660b0e932c91d49f73.png

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     Utrecht-1742

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale      Echo Cross Section   NRG Rigging Project 

Utrecht-1742

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.