Bluenose I by Ed Ku20 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks Guys!  It feels real good.  A sense of accomplishment with a most challenging task.  I don't think I'm going to rush right into Rattlesnake immediately.  I'm going to spend some time planning and studying how to build it.  I want to lay out the steps on a spreadsheet like I had for Bluenose.  It looks like getting the framing done properly is the big challenge.

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

That is a really sweet job, Ed.  She came out beautifully.  Your time and attention to detail paid off handsomely! 

You can bet I will be poring through the documentation of the rigging in minute detail as I get back into my build.  Thanks for taking the time to capture your process so well.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Rattlesnake!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

That is a beautiful model sir!  Well done!

As a sailor who's been aboard the Bluenose II, it's a thing of beauty and you captured the essence well.

(Note I was only onboard for a couple of day-sails - not as crew.  A good friend of mine was employed as the Stoker for a full tourist season one year.  I was slightly jealous!)

NS

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Thanks Brad!  In fact, my wife and I have scheduled a trip in late August to visit Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.  We are staying in one of the B&B's overlooking the harbor and are booked on board Bluenose II for the 2 hour tourist sail.  I am really excited about doing this.  Lunenburg looks like such an idyllic little harbor town.  A great way to close out my time building this ship!

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ron!  I am in the process of converting a built-in-the-wall bookcase into a display case.  It will have glass shelves, mirrors, down lighting and glass doors on the front.  I will post some pictures when it's completed.  Definitely get back to your Bluenose.  It's a beautiful ship!

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share with you some pics of the display case that I built for my Bluenose.  It turned out to be quite the project.  I converted 2 of the 3 sections for a built-in bookcase in my basement to display my ship models.  I designed it to hold 4 ships.  Purchasing the custom mirrors and glass cost more than it did to start-up this hobby!!  But now I have a dust free environment for her.

I'm also throwing in a few pictures of Bluenose II from our vacation to Lunenburg Nova Scotia.  Since it's related to Bluenose, I hope I'm not breaking any rules!!  If someone would like to see something in particular of the ship message me.  I've took a bunch of pictures.  I even know what a "Baggywrinkle" is now!!  I never added any of these and there's a lot of them on Bluenose II.

After taking a few months off, I got Rattlesnake "off the shelf" and have started my build.  Will be starting a build log very soon, if you are interested.  This model is very different from the fishing schooner.  Best of luck to all you Bluenose builders out there.  I hope my log is of some benefit to you.

Best regards,

Ed

BLUENOSE I MODEL DISPLAY CASE

IMG_4075.thumb.JPG.215fb36c706e56a755aebde940b06ab8.JPGIMG_4076.thumb.JPG.1eeca7664ad1c8a02bd80afd3aed41cd.JPGIMG_4077.thumb.JPG.49a67e09789c36f6219601eeb8c88047.JPGIMG_4078.thumb.JPG.a02420ec2a4a9e35791d87f0cb782435.JPG

SAILING ON BLUENOSE II in LUNENBURG, NS

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.5e37f19f1b39d464618f75d75e334811.JPG

IMG_3890.thumb.JPG.ebb058bc1088e7f2b6f807aa343e6f7a.JPGIMG_3966.thumb.JPG.6d06728486d75335114678d8d470f5dd.JPGIMG_3978.thumb.JPG.2e4f645979f29fc929179c182420e943.JPGIMG_3970.thumb.JPG.b1e00bdcf99245dd87cc26ae4833d88c.JPGIMG_3994.thumb.JPG.45f9ae49a78dba9748d8edc9129bea94.JPGIMG_4004.thumb.JPG.869a2b330aaeec44043646173ecd1433.JPG

IMG_3991.thumb.JPG.7037a73ad38c36a32188379ee5bfec6d.JPG

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay