Help in identifying an item

A friend in Scotland, Brora specifically, walking along the beach discovered this piece, from what he told me it is made of bronze and it would seem to be the handle of a closet or similar.

The design is a nautilus shell among what I believe is a collection of shells. What else could it be off? The obverse shows what I believe is where it was attached to a drawer or similar.

One faint possibility is a French sloop, Le Prince Charles Stewart, an ex Royal Navy ship the Hazard which had been captured in Montrose and renamed. It was carrying gold for the Jacobites from France. It was intercepted by the Sheerness and chased into the Kyle of Tongue where it ran aground. 

Someone may have seen something similar and can help me identify this piece. I will be grateful in advance ...

nautilus1.jpg.07a956f8800bd0ca3c887782ee8362b7.jpg

nautilus2.jpg.b8b3003b7c82ccbc12db92ca287b7a62.jpg

nautilus3b.jpg.5f3340f4ff0ff23db3971dd85f40a405.jpg

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Thank you gentlemen, just contact the National Museums Scotland..

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

If the first photo is rotated 180 degrees, it looks like a flower from the Trumpet Vine. Is that vestiges of green paint in the recesses or corrosion? If it is green paint it would have been a pretty piece, green in the recesses with the high points polished off. Interesting. 

This morning I was chatting with a curator of the Museum and I am waiting for results, probably the piece will be sent to the museum for better analysis..another thing is not a button from a cloak for sure.

nob4-D-A.jpg.9e521dc78212698dbdddd4f6d787c611.jpg

Seems too large to be a button to me, I agree its more likely a knob or handle of some sort.

My friend said  "Here is why I can't go with cloak button. This is an antique Victorian cloak button. Note the elaborate design around the edges and the overall thickness of the metal. This is more like a brooch, an ornamental jewellery piece, and I suspect they were made more from semi precious/ precious metals and stones."

1856270494_cloakbutton.jpg.a7d18f0e310a379742d2588b32f91e54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...