Byrnes Tablesaw - Olha review

I have been finding reviews of  the Byrnes table saw over and over again.

One of our member has recently posted this one.

It surely convinced me to buy the saw!

Thank you Olha for a fantastic demo!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A great review by Olha.  Shows all the capabilities of the saw well.

But don't copy Olha's technique for ripping!

The plank should follow the billet slowly off the end of the table but if you notice in Olha's demonstration of ripping a 2mm plank, the plank disappears backwards.  This is kick back, and could be dangerous.

Why is it happening?

Because we are ripping our planks between the fence and the blade we must impart some lateral pressure before the blade to keep the billet against the fence.  Many of us do this with a block of wood.  Olha uses her hands.   I don't have a problem with that but toward the end of the cut she uses her other hand to guide the billet through.  When you do this it is very difficult to avoid lateral pressure.  There is no riving knife on this saw (which minimises the chance of kick back) but Jim has cleverly built in an offset to the fence after the blade to negate kickback.  However, if you apply lateral pressure after the blade you override his engineering  and close up the cut which will always cause kickback.

The first thing to note about kick back is that it is fast (too fast for the camera here) and is probably 80 mph or so  with this saw.

Secondly, the plank may be going straight back but, in the classic case of kick back, the unsupported timber catches on a tooth on the back of the blade and rotates as it moves up the blade then flies off the top of the blade nearly upside down and, in this case, to the right because Olha is left handed.  So it could be flying towards where she is standing. Being small and light  it probably wont do much damage unless it hits her in the eye!  So wear your safety glasses Olha.

How can this situation be avoided?

Use a push stick close to the blade to push the billet straight through.  Don't apply any pressure aft of the blade.

Otherwise its a good video Olha/

John

Edited by bartley

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

As an experienced woodworker for some 50 years I would strongly and I mean strongly recommend that the ripping and crosscut techniques demonstrated in this video not be practiced. This machine is as dangerous as a full size table saw. Always, always use push sticks. Never use the fence as your stop guide for continuous cutoffs! Always allow for any ripping or cross cutting "relief" prior to the infeed side of the blade by using clamped blocks to the fence.

I do not want to explain why I write this!

Joe