Cutter Alert by Gazzarian - Vanguard Models

Hi All. There have already been some great build logs of this, which have really helped. It's my first time attempting something of this nature (I have  done other sorts of model making but my only boat was an Amati Viking boat which had a single plank layer made from floppy bits of plywood).

The kit really is a thing of beauty, it's like model ship kit making arrives in the 21st Century. The precision with which the parts fit, the self jigging, the immensely helpful manual. It's been an absolute joy so far. It's a shame therefore that I'm going to massacre it. Oh, OK, I'm not. My planned alterations will be only superficial and reflect the fact that I don't like guns, I don't like paint, and I do like creative reimagining of history. So in my imagination, this vessel gets pacified. Bought out of navy service by a wealthy naturalist. Some on here were very helpful when I raised this idea in the History section, and if you're interested here is a link to that

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25831-historical-fantasy-oh-and-heresy/

Anyway, we can return to that later if it's of interest to anyone; an alternative history. I can't fill in all of the details entailed in executing that and maybe you can help. Here are a couple of pics as she is at the moment, with sanding of the first planking just started. I haven't done this before and had some issues, especially as I managed with extraordinary idiocy to misinterpret Chuck's brilliant edge bending tutorial. I got it back to front, and realised my mistake about half way down and finally got the point on board. My excuse is that the 3D geometry of this is counter intuitive if you look at a profile plan. But the truth is I'm an idiot. I got it in the end though. 

Alert2.jpg

Alert1.jpg

Well, having converted most of the plankage into enough sawdust to heat a small village, I decreed that the sandpaper had removed sufficient evidence (the analogy is appropriate; there were criminal mistakes in my planking but I got away with it) that I can move on. I'll put up some pics when I get to something interesting to share.

Please allow me to outline the history of this imaginary craft, partly because it amuses me but also more seriously in the hope that it might elicit ideas and suggestions.

In 1801 she was caught by a French frigate emerging from a fogbank, and before managing to use her superior speed to escape was badly battered around the topsides. Before she got to the top of the queue for repairs, the peace treaty of Amiens was signed and she, like many ships, officers and seamen was declared surplus to requirements. So as I mentioned earlier, she was bought by a wealthy naturalist (he inherited his money from the founder of a bank that exploited arms manufacturers and wanted to assuage his inherited guilt by counting frog spawn in Norwegian fjords and pastimes of that nature). 

Anyway (if I'm boring you already, have pity on my future house guests) his wife, disgusted by such non alpha male behaviour, ran off with her Prussian fitness instructor (best we don't delve too deeply into that). This freed him to bring his Swedish naturist girlfriend out of the woodwork to, ahem, do the woodwork. On the refit. So late one night, after a laudanum fuelled meeting of views, they agreed that they both hated this navy business of slapping paint on everything and would go for a totally, er, naturist wood look. Well, in fact he just agreed with her because, with a girl like that, that's basically what a bloke does.

So, this sets the scene for all sorts of creative fun. I have in mind the use of walnut, mahogany, tanganyka, the included pear wood and anything else that inspires me (I have a little collection of wood I bought for an architectural project I then lost interest in). And textures. I have had nice results in the pas from blending different colours of wood stain in layers and then using sandpaper to bring depth and relief. 

A couple of other things spring to mind. I made a little ladder now installed beneath the aft companion way; as the aft end of the ship will be reserved for the owner and his lady, this will be for their use only and I'm planning a yacht type raised coaming / sliding hatch affair with little doors, and maybe leave it open so you can see the little ladder going down. I also need to add scuppers as pointed out by Chuck in the other thread. An additional stove vent as they'd have had a separate one in their aft quarters. 

I'm wondering about: (a) A wheel rather than the tiller? I've read that this was a common upgrade in those times, and (b) would he have had her coppered? 

If you've read this far then apologies for the long post but  if anybody does have any thoughts they would be gratefully received.

You are off to a good start on your Cutter Alert.  I look forward to seeing your modifications to this kit.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you Ryland! Might be triumph or disaster, will treat those two inposters just the same....

I didn't manage to achieve the symmetry I'd hoped for on these diagonal planks; I did try using tick marks on a bit of masking tape to match up the centre planks distance out either side, but the reference points were rendered null and void by my haphazard planking and sanding, I see I have more tidying up to do.

Alert3.jpg

A couple of things I will mention in case they're helpful.

The false deck has a series of tiny holes drilled out for the ringbolts (we need ringbolts so that the sailors have more things to trip over). However I couldn't see any reference in the manual to transferring these locations through the deck planking, rendering them pointless. I opted for the laser etched single deck piece so was able to align that with the false deck and drill through with a tiny bit in a pin vice, with a block of wood on the other side to prevent splintering the etched deck surface. If you are going the planking route, you could plank the centre portion and drill through in the same way before installing the false deck.

Also, contrary to the instructions, my first step was to glue the keel and stem post parts to the false keel. It's much easier to do a butt joint flat on the work surface rather than in mid air later on, and it gives you a keel piece to clamp onto when framing etc. Just a thought.

Sorry this is not a very good pic, but just an update on what happen when crazy Swedish lady takes charge of your woodwork....

The top layer, the mahogany, is the bulwark and is just temporarily clamped there to give an idea of the intended ultimate effect; it can't be installed until second planking is complete as it's too delicate for much handling. The next is, surprisingly as it's not usually used for decoration, is limewood but stained with White Ash stain. THere is another one under the wale, or forming part of the wale, but hard to see in this pic. The intention was to bring some highlights in the otherwise dark woods and, as they are not parallel (the wale is deeper from the top at the waist) emphasise the curvature. Other layers are walnut plank and strip (intended to replicate the different protuberances  you see on wooden ships) and the wale itself which is set against the first planking as opposed to on top of the second planking as indicated in the kit (I didn't think that would look quite right, I preferred it to be inset). The wale is the obligatory black (stained) but I will sand the edges off the slightly highlight the shape and simulate weathering.

At the bottom is the first plank of second planking, went on easily with the dry PVS / iron technique (like making one's own iron on veneer!)

It all needs to be carefully sanded and tidied up. Any suggestion re finish: varnish, oil, shellac etc gratefully received.

alert4.jpg

Looking good, I think it'll be a good choice to dial down those two lighter strips. Take a look at the top rail and try to make certain that it doesn't cover the hole for the lower hole for the bowsprit ring (I almost covered mine up).

Yours looks like an interesting adventure, it will be interesting to see how it goes.  Might want to pre-check where your channels will go amongst your protuberances and ensure the dead eyes have clearance.

I “painted with wood” on my Fair American, no stains though and it does have guns.  I’m glad I did it then, I don’t think I could find all the exotic woods I used on it now.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Quick update in case anyone is looking.

I wanted a battered antique look to the hull, so attempted that using various layers of different stain and sanding. Didn't entirely work (you could say that it looks like a lump of chocolate with bits of mould on it). But the colour variations are rather less dramatic in the flesh than in the pic. And anyway it's my first attempt at planking, so....that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Have learnt a lot for next time.

alert6.jpg

alert7.jpg

It’s not something I’d do, but that doesn’t matter. This hobby is about yo and your model. You can ask and get input but at the end of the day it’s your choice and your decision. 

...but maybe sanding off was a good idea🤪😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Well your comment was very helpful as it triggered me to do something that I kind of knew had to be done. But that's the joy of staining; as I am an infant at this, I think it's just experiment and sand off if you don't like it. This really is my first time ha ha! Anyway, I have arrived at this which I really like. Keel and stem will be black.

738199067_Alerthull.thumb.jpg.b37d83644ec2362c97ee913e22115ce5.jpg

Generally hulls aren’t stained. They are either partially painted or have wipe on poly applied. Take a look around the sire too see. 

But again, it’s your model to make what you want of. It’s about enjoying your work, that’s all that matters. 

Regards,

Glenn

Well, if I'm allowed, I'll just share a different kind of thing I made  few years back. I used to be an aerobatic display pilot so this topic was dear to my heart ha ha! (Then again I was in the navy for a bit, am from a naval family, and also used to navigate racing yachts but these days I'd rather never actually be on a boat again. I like them to look at though.plane.thumb.jpg.193a1aa4c58c102bd48d378f91814c51.jpg

I don't think we have wipe on poly here in the UK? I'm not sure what it is. I just don't like paint (or it doesn't like me, as I am an idiot ha ha!). Anyway, look, I'm just learning, and I really value your comments. This site has been so helpful that I did make a token donation, I felt it right as I have learnt so much. I'm loving this journey and I don't really care if I mess up along the way.

You have it, but I recall it goes by a different name, unfortunately I don’t recall what that is. It’s clear satin polyurethane if that helps.  

Regards,

Glenn

Doesn’t look too bad for a first attempt. I’ve never done any coppering so take this with a grain of salt, but I feel like the tape loses some definition without the vertical bolt emulation (no idea what the proper word is). 

Have you considered using a batten at the waterline as shown here:

Keep at it though, looking quite good.

Edit: I’m not certain that link went to the right comment. It starts at the April 2 post on page 5.

Thank you, as is yours and you are a long way ahead of me!. I wondered about the batten, I will look at that link, appreciate it. This site is amazing for really helpful input.

On your point about more emulation, I have ben reading a book by a pro model maker who warns against attempting too much detail. But that doesn't mean that you are wrong.