Bowsprit mounting

Danstream

Hi all,

I am building my first wooden model and I would like to ask few questions about how to install the bowsprit on my model, which is a Mayflower from Artesania Latina. The instructions are not helpful in this respect. I have just completed the first planking and I am doing the decks.

- Assuming that the angle shown in the A.L. drawings is correct, which method do you use to keep the drill bit at the wanted inclination?

- How do you start the drilling?

- Does the bowsprit mast hole cut also into the front bulkhead or stays only on the bow deck?

- Once the hole is done, do you simply glue the mast in it or you pin it at its base and make the final adjustments by tensioning the cables?

Thanks for any advice you might have on any of the above points. 

Best regards,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Do you have a snip from the plans?

Is the point where the bowsprit  is mounted visible on the completed model?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Gregory,

This is a snapshot of the plan. According to it, there is not any hole to be done.

IMG_6866.JPG.fc1b78145a23749c79cccc54ece067d9.JPG

Regards,

Dan.

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

It looks like the angle is set by how the foot of the bowsprit butts up against the bulkhead, and rests on the stem..

Is there a tenon on the end of the bowsprit to be inserted into the bulkhead?

Where is the hole to be drilled you refer to?

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

It looks like the angle is set by how the foot of the bowsprit butts up against the bulkhead, and rests on the stem..

Is there a tenon on the end of the bowsprit to be inserted into the bulkhead?

Where is the hole to be drilled you refer to?

Hi Gregory, it is my intention to drill a hole, because in the plans there is none. But I cannot believe that the mast is just butted against the bulkhead, there is no tenon. In addition, one of my original questions was whether you would see more plausible to cut into the bulkhead or into the bow platform. The latter seems more plausible to me. I have seen many other models where the mast pierces the platform only or both.

Edited by Danstream

The drawing on the kit plans is a just a convention for a kit model.  For a POB build the sprit should pass through the forecastle bulkhead between stanchions.    The forecastle bulkhead itself is probably only 2" or 3" planking and could never support the sprit if done this way in actual practice.    On a real ship or even a POF model, there is a bowsprit step of heavy timbers that rest again the deck beams at both the bottom and top of the step.  There is a mortise in the step and the end of the sprit would be squared off to rest in the mortise.  If the vessel is ship rigged the step will be at an angle.  For smaller vessels with near horizontal sprits, the step would be pretty much vertical.    Look at inboard profile drawings and they often show the step.  As a substitute for the model, a mortise can be cut into the frame bulkhead.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, harlequin said:

through piece 34 by the looks of it on the plans....drill through this and rest the end against bulkhead . it will then be supported by the hole and the bulkhead it butts up to

Inkedbulk_LI.jpg

Just don't forget to lengthen the bowsprit with this extra dimension (see arrows).

Inkedbulk_LI_jpg_49c9d76432a480ec7029238cc8841d8d copy.jpg