For anyone interested in the A-M series, check out a podcast called "The Lubber's Hole". It's a couple of guys who dissect the series book by book. I spend an hour or so soaking in the hot tub on Sunday nights when the new one is released. Gotta justify all that time and money put into maintaining the hot tub so it's my shut down the brain time. I first read Hornblower at 12 years of age. I thought the books looked too big for me until I got into the first one. Mr. Midshipman Hornblower. Later, I got into the A-M series. There's no comparison. Hornblower is a fun story. A-M is the greatest historical literature you're likely to find anywhere in the English language. The movie was incredible. It didn't follow the books but it wasn't intended to. The technical advisor for the movie, Gordon Laco, is a friend of mine on FB and he often dips his oar in on groups related to sailing ships etc. when the subject of the movie or other related topics come up. They may not have told the story of the books but they captured the feeling and essence of being at sea in the RN on a small frigate impeccably. There are a number of small "errors" in the film, most done to ensure the viewer "gets the picture" rather than by accident. The scene with the guy sitting on the heads with his pants around his ankles is an example. He would have been sitting facing inboard but had they filmed it that way, it wouldn't have been clear that he was on the seat of ease so they turned him outboard. Other minor little things like that but otherwise, the movie is right up there with Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan for authenticity. It may even be better than those two and they are known for their authenticity. Look up the podcast and re-watch the HH and A-M series. Also read the books again. Another circumnavigation of the A-M books is always in order. I plan to start another one once I finish the book I'm reading right now. I also plan to put the date I start on the inside front cover to track how many times I read it. The A-M books reveal new nuggets every time you read them. They keep getting better and better. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting topic. 

I remember reading the Hornblower books as a kid. they were an entertaining romp.

I do have the A-M series and read the whole thing every couple of years. Patrick O'Brian was an extremely well educated person and that is apparent in the books with things that go over my head.

However, I find the dialogue and the funny asides of Maturin which shows what he really thinks of a situation give me a chuckle.

My wife will say 'are you reading those again? I thought so since it is the only time you laugh when you are reading.'

(that actually is not true , I do laugh sometimes at other books - Outlander for example)

I disagree with Louie; I thought Parkinson's "letter from Hornblower" was a great addition to the Hornblower genre, demonstrating his ruthlessness when necessary. And the revelation about Mr. Wellard - Wow!

I agree the recent TV series was less than great. The wholesale departure from the books to ridiculous plots was irksome. I'd rather watch the old Gregory Peck movie, any time.

Just found The Good Shepherd in a second-hand book shop and snapped it up. A very good read - really gets inside the head of the captain (who seems a bit like Hornblower with his self-doubts and pessimism - maybe Forester was like that himself?). I haven't seen the movie, and probably won't - it might spoil it for me.

Regarding the A-M series, the atmosphere is brilliant and O'Brian's sailing scenes are very convincing. My own lack of maritime knowledge means I can't really criticise the accuracy of descriptions - but there is one thing that niggles. In several of the books he has Jack setting not only the spritsail (which, ok, was still just in use in Aubrey's time), but also a sprit topsail, which went out of use way before 1800. Like I said - it niggles, as everything else is so perfect.

Steven