Looking for info on scroll saws.

I'm 77 and my hands/fingers are becoming a bit of a problem. I'm considering purchasing a scroll saw and any info anyone can offer is appreciated. I don't have a dedicated shop so the smaller the unit the better. Noise and vibration are also concerns...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

There are plenty to choose from out there. They range in price from under $200 to $1000 or more. Most all are table top. You will want variable speed, good hold down function and chip relief so you can see where the blade is going. Most are slow start so you need to be aware of that. Then it comes to the all important blade types. There are so many that it is too much to include here but you will want to invest in good quality blades for the works you plan. These are not for thick stock cutting and do their best on thin stock. If they have a surface light that is a plus.

Joe

Better (read 'generally more expensive') units are usually better for vibration-free running. Cheap ones tend to 'thrash'.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The LED gooseneck tool light over the lathe in the photo below was bought from Amazon.  It can be fastened down anywhere.  I seem to recall that it cost about $25.  It would be easy to mount it for use with a scroll saw.

The other thing that I should mention is a dust blower to blow the sawdust away from the blade.  The one that came with my saw died.

C2F212F3-3E94-47CE-87E1-51B7043AFF67.thumb.jpeg.8d0569a76e3ace2d191b414f64381514.jpeg

Edited by Roger Pellett

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

The other thing that I should mention is a dust blower to blow the sawdust away from the blade.  The one that came with my saw died.

In most, the "bellows" that blows the air is simply a rubber bladder that is compressed by the arm's downward movement with a piece of plastic tubing connected to it. These rubber bladders crap out on a regular basis and are easily replaceable. I'll bet if your saw is still in production, the manufacturer has replacement air bladders for sale..

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

The Wen looks like a cheap, almost direct rip of the Buck Tool! (just south of there on the page with the Buck, but more than double in Canada) My interest is definitely building for a scroll saw, thinking I might get a lot more use out of it than the bandsaw I bought. Great thread so far!

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48