HMS Bounty by DaveBaxt - FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

Okay, Dave,

If you're going to paint the hull it's extremely important that your undercoat is correct.  That's where my method of wood filling comes to play.  Also, the correct brand of wood filler is a must.  We can talk about that later on.  Have a good night,

Cheerio,

Jerry

Despite my best efforts of planking and now finding the planking bending ok now that I am soaking the planks overnight I am still having a few issues when clickering even after bending the planks edgeways as per Chuck videos. The main thing is I am getting the general shape and after using filler and sanding should be ok for laying the second planks. I have now completed 50% of the first row of planks. As yet I have not had to drop any planks.

DSC_1236.JPG

DSC_1237.JPG

DSC_1235.JPG

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hello Dave,

Looks to me like you now have the hang of it.  Glad to see your fine progress.

Happy New Year,

Jerry

59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Hello Dave,

Looks to me like you now have the hang of it.  Glad to see your fine progress.

Happy New Year,

Jerry

Just now, DaveBaxt said:

Yes I think I am getting there and starting to get a routine going. Hopefully it will be easier for the second layer of planks. Happy new year to you Jerry and thanks again for your input.

jerry I have just spent a good while looking at your blog you did of this model. Here is a link for anyone else who is thinking of dong this model.

Some very good photos of the progress especially of the different stages of the rigging which has been of great help showing the different stages. Also what turned out to be a superb example. I would be over the moon if mine turns out to be anywhere as good.

Good morning, Dave,

Nice work.  Your planking looks excellent and it's obvious you've accomplished a very difficult phase of the build.  Don't forget a light sanding before starting the second round.  One reason the second application is easier is you now have a solid base to adhere to.  No more spaces between bulkheads but a good overall base.  Thanks for keeping me apprised of your progress and I look forward to seeing your future good work.  By the way, there's a link to all of my logs at the bottom of every post I make in your log.

Again, I hope you and yours have very nice New Year,

Best,

Jerry 

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Good morning, Dave,

Nice work.  Your planking looks excellent and it's obvious you've accomplished a very difficult phase of the build.  Don't forget a light sanding before starting the second round.  One reason the second application is easier is you now have a solid base to adhere to.  No more spaces between bulkheads but a good overall base.  Thanks for keeping me apprised of your progress and I look forward to seeing your future good work.  By the way, there's a link to all of my logs at the bottom of every post I make in your log.

Again, I hope you and yours have very nice New Year,

Best,

Jerry 

Thanks for that Jerry. I have one question to ask if I may regarding the second planking as I have not done this before. Do I taper the planks as per the first planking and do they need to be soaked to make it easier for bending? I will take a look at your bogs Jerry and see if I can get a few more tips from you. I notice that you have Build the Victory by Caldercraft and wondered what you thought of Caldercraft Kits as I am thinking of the Endeavour by Caldercraft for my next Model. I have always been interested in James Cook as he lived not too far from where I am from and he was always popular with his crew and had a very high survival rate of men due to looking after them.One day I would hope to do something really special as a model once I have learned how to do it properly. Best Regards Dave

Always remember that whenever you have a question, don't hesitate a second to ask me.  I'm n ot an expert but I do have a few years experience and will more than gladly tell you what I know.  Yes, Caldercraft makes an excellent kit although they are a little pricey.  HMS Victory was about 900 British Pounds.  But the kit was more than complete.  By that I mean there was a lot of extra wood, especially planking.  The hull is copper plated and I had a lot of extra plates which I used some on the Bounty.  Now, regarding the planking question...The second planking, as far as I recollect, was very much the same in procedure as the first.  Take your time do the proper soaking time and you'll look like a champ when all is said and done.

I am presently starting a new woodworking project in cedar in which I'm teaching the admiral how to use all the woodworking tools.  Today she has learned to operate the radial arm saw and the table saw.  We are making a garden chair and table to match the garden bench I built 2 years ago.  Picture attached,,,Take good care and go S l o w l y....

Best,

Jerry

Cedar Garden Bench.jpg

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Always remember that whenever you have a question, don't hesitate a second to ask me.  I'm n ot an expert but I do have a few years experience and will more than gladly tell you what I know.  Yes, Caldercraft makes an excellent kit although they are a little pricey.  HMS Victory was about 900 British Pounds.  But the kit was more than complete.  By that I mean there was a lot of extra wood, especially planking.  The hull is copper plated and I had a lot of extra plates which I used some on the Bounty.  Now, regarding the planking question...The second planking, as far as I recollect, was very much the same in procedure as the first.  Take your time do the proper soaking time and you'll look like a champ when all is said and done.

I am presently starting a new woodworking project in cedar in which I'm teaching the admiral how to use all the woodworking tools.  Today she has learned to operate the radial arm saw and the table saw.  We are making a garden chair and table to match the garden bench I built 2 years ago.  Picture attached,,,Take good care and go S l o w l y....

Best,

Jerry

Cedar Garden Bench.jpg

The Chair looks great. I also like the look of you wood paneling.Thanks for the advice too,much appreciated.

Edited by DaveBaxt

Update. First layer of planking completed and gaps filled in with sealer. More sealer than I would have wished however the main thing is I have got what I think is the shape without any bumps or dips. I have also fitted the stem and stern posts and the keel. I now think I am ready for the second planking and here is a couple of photos of my attempt at lining off the hull and once again dividing the hull into 4 bands. I have a couple of questions regards when laying the second planks at the stern. You can see where the first layer of planking stops at bulkhead 15 where it meets the underside of the transom. (First photo) I am thinking of laying the second layer past this join and onto the transom  but wonder if  any gaps might open up in which case I would have to increase the width of the planks at that point. Another question is ,is there a need to sand these planks after cutting the taper with the a knife. Seems to me it would be be difficult as they are only 0.5mm wide

DSC_1252.JPG

DSC_1253.JPG

Happy Monday, Dave.

From what I can see you've progressed admirably. (No pun intended)  You say that your first layer of planking is smooth and that's necessary before attempting the second layer.  So you are indeed,ready to roll.  As you say it is difficult to sand a 0.5 mm piece of wood so don't do it as when you complete the second planking you'll be lightly sanding again and that should take care of any rough spots.  You did a very nice job on the first layer and I'm convinced you know what you're doing and will certainly finish with a fine model.  With respect to the planking at bulkhead 15, I would plank the hull up to the transom and then do the transom afterwards so the transom planking will cover the ends of the hull planking . ( see attached photo.) Again, don't be concerned with interim sanding as that will be treated when you sand the completed second layer.  I apologize if this sounds confusing but I hope you understand what I mean.  Keep up the good work.

Best,

Jerry

Aft and Transom PLanking ...Bounty.jpg

Edited by Jerry

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Happy Monday, Dave.

From what I can see you've progressed admirably. (No pun intended)  You say that your first layer of planking is smooth and that's necessary before attempting the second layer.  So you are indeed,ready to roll.  As you say it is difficult to sand a 0.5 mm piece of wood so don't do it as when you complete the second planking you'll be lightly sanding again and that should take care of any rough spots.  You did a very nice job on the first layer and I'm convinced you know what you're doing and will certainly finish with a fine model.  With respect to the planking at bulkhead 15, I would plank the hull up to the transom and then do the transom afterwards so the transom planking will cover the ends of the hull planking . ( see attached photo.) Again, don't be concerned with interim sanding as that will be treated when you sand the completed second layer.  I apologize if this sounds confusing but I hope you understand what I mean.  Keep up the good work.

Best,

Jerry

Aft and Transom PLanking ...Bounty.jpg

Jerry Thanks for your quick reply and clearing that up for me. Your photograph showed me exactly what you mean. Also thank you for your kind words as it gives me the confidence to proceed. What I meant regarding the  sanding of the second layer was the edges of the planks to ensure a tight fit and wondered if this is even possible.

I also see by your photo that the rudder hole is in fact a slot rather than a hole which looks very neat. When did you actually cut the slot? Was this cut at the same time as the rudder post or later as per instructions. I have just gone off the Amati video and the rudder post was fitted in between the two layers of planking but does not mention when the hole for the rudder is made. Thanks again for your input Jerry it is really great that you can help me having the experience of this actual model . Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Dave,

Age and memory don't go together.  But Eureka!  Charlene is 20 years younger than me and her memory still works.  The rudder slot was cut as soon as the final planking was completed.  Hope this helps.

Have a good night.

Jerry

Dave - I appreciate all the detail you’ve provided during your planking exercise. Your Bounty looks very nice. While I’m a bit late to the party, I experienced many of the issues you have during the planking of my Vic. As time went on, I assembled a ‘soaker’ tube from PVC piping and ends and used it in conjunction with my plank bender. Also, your second planking will cover up some of your earlier errors:) I look forward to following along on your journey! 

8290D0FD-6CF4-4F1B-9340-C52CBE5C1591.jpeg

3F671374-BF46-4CB7-AA43-E6A07266A7A5.jpeg

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Dave - I appreciate all the detail you’ve provided during your planking exercise. Your Bounty looks very nice. While I’m a bit late to the party, I experienced many of the issues you have during the planking of my Vic. As time went on, I assembled a ‘soaker’ tube from PVC piping and ends and used it in conjunction with my plank bender. Also, your second planking will cover up some of your earlier errors:) I look forward to following along on your journey! 

8290D0FD-6CF4-4F1B-9340-C52CBE5C1591.jpeg

3F671374-BF46-4CB7-AA43-E6A07266A7A5.jpeg

Welcome aboard Rob and thanks for your input. I have exactly the same electric plank bender and will definately have to make myself a pipe soaking tube. Yours looks to be just what I need and should be relatively inexpensive to put together. Unfortunately the UK has just gone back into lock down but hopefully there are still some hardware shops open. Best Regards Dave

Morning guys. I have made a bit of an error and did not check the condition of the second planking when I first received the kit. Upon opening the bundle of second planking I have noticed the colour has faded at one end and looks a bit strange. If they had of been slightly different colours then this would have been not to bad but when all the planks are 50% faded at one end and on  both sides, this is a bit much. Fortunately I do have some spare stock and think I have enough for the areas which are not painted, Here is a photo of the planks supplied by Amati. I am wondering if I alternate the different ends forward. Then perhaps it would not look too bad. I am really annoyed with Amati and will probably complain to them at some point.

DSC_1254.JPG

Good morning, Dave.

Have you checked to see if the discoloration is permeated?  Is it possible that the color change is on the surface only and can be sanded away?  Just wondering.

Best,

Jerry

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Good morning, Dave.

Have you checked to see if the discoloration is permeated?  Is it possible that the color change is on the surface only and can be sanded away?  Just wondering.

Best,

Jerry

Wow I never thought of that Jerry I will give it a go once I finished my cup of tea. Thanks for your help and quick reply. I am kind of guessing you are anyway between 6 and 10 hours behind us depending up what coast you are on, correct me if I am wrong. 

As I write this post it is approximately 2:00 PM Eastern Standard Time  (South Carolina, East Coast)

Jerry I think that works out at  5 hours behind us. Not much difference .Are you on the same time as New York? My wife and I found tough when travelling to the west coast, The east coast was always a breeze and once we went to Hawaii getting there was a nightmare but well worth the journey.

Just been to the local hardware store to pick up some bits and pieces (pipework)  to make a pipe soaker . Thanks to Jerry and Rob for recommending which I will probably need for the second planking . It will definately make life easier if I ever need to do another model with the first planking 6mm x 1.5 mm. 

Here is a photo of the finished job, secured in place and in easy reach.

DSC_1255.JPG

Edited by DaveBaxt

Good morning, Dave,

Yes, same time as New York.  It's about 7 minutes after 8 am right now

Jerry

Greetings from Belgium. 

Here it is now 14h. 19 minutes in the afternoon (we dont do AM and PM over here).

Good luck with the Bounty model.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

23 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Good morning, Dave,

Yes, same time as New York.  It's about 7 minutes after 8 am right now

Jerry

Good morning Jerry .We are 5 hours ahead of you I have just finished my lunch after laying a number of second planks which seem to be going ok but not perfect. I have also tapered one or two which seem to be tight next to each other. I have also manged to finish the bulwarks but I am almost out of planks. Unfortunately the ones I received with the kit do not improve with sanding. I may need to use a few before I get to an area which will be covered in paint. Otherwise I have or ordered  a few spares which weren't expensive but it will be sometime before I receive them.

15 minutes ago, Backer said:

Greetings from Belgium. 

Here it is now 14h. 19 minutes in the afternoon (we dont do AM and PM over here).

Good luck with the Bounty model.

Welcome Aboard Backer and thanks for your kind remarks. Best regards Dave 

50% of second planking completed. Changed tack after struggling using CA glue as  I used this on the first layer of planking the two pieces at the  bow where the planks raise above the deck at the cut water or stem post came away. Probably my fault and should be more careful. As I say it wasn,t going as well as I would have liked so I then tried using Speed Bond which is what I used on the first layer of planking but I needed something to secure the planks while the glue was setting . This worked with using large elastic bands the elastic  wrapped around the hull but ihought they were getting in the way a bit when wiping off the access glue.Eventually I ended up not using them but I started shaping the planks on the model itself and after soaking overnight I used my electric plank bender to shape the planks on the model. This seems for me to be the easiest way. Once I put the glue on the model and wait a few minutes before placing the planks in position it does not take very long for the glue to hold the plank. Here is a couple of photos of my first attempt at second planking,although far from perfect, I feel with a bit of light sanding will remove any lips that have appeared at one or two edges. There are also one or to cracks which hopefully I will be able to fill with sanding dust and glue.Let me know what you think

DSC_1260.JPG

DSC_1262.JPG

DSC_1261.JPG

Wow, Dave!  The planking looks terrific.  You don't need any advice any longer.  You've got the job down pat.  Your work on this phase is as good as any I've seen.  I know that about this time you're probably thinking how nice it'll be to do some other kind of operation on the ship than planking.  You're well on your way now and i compliment you on a job well done.

Best,

Jerry