Spruce beer vs New England Rum

bruce d

Copied and pasted exactly as I found it: I of course have no first hand experience in these matters.

Spruce Beer

Vice Admiral Samuel Graves to Philip Stephens

Preston Boston Sept. 22. 1775

"Sir

… Being on the Subject of provisions it is indispensably become my Duty to represent to their Lordships that the custom of supplying New England Rum to his Majesty's Ships is in my humble opinion highly prejudicial to the State. The use of it destroys the Health and Faculties of the People and debilitates them surprizinzly [sic]. The Seamen always continue healthy and active when drinking spruce Beer; but in a few days after New England Rum is served, altough mixed with four or five Waters, the Hospital is crouded with sick, and those on board are pallid, weak, and incapable of doing half their Duty. I appeal to the Captains of the Squadron that this is always the Consequence of their Crews having New England Rum."

Since 'spruce beer' is basically boiled and fermented wood, we can only imagine what qualities the New England Rum must have had to prompt this plea.

Ho-Ho-Ho, 

Bruce

Graves's Conduct, Vol. I, pp 130-132 [BM].

Transcribed by Lars Bruzelius

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

No wonder. I'm also always continue healthy and active when drinking Beer, and also not a fan of a Rum...🤣

Edited by Alex M

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Considering that in 1775 the beer ration was one gallon a day or eight pints, I find it hard to see how the admiral could say the half pint tot of spirits could be any worse!  Then again, perhaps the beer was weak. The sailors would "prove" that their rum wasn't watered down by pouring a bit on some gunpowder and seeing if the gunpowder would still burn, which confirmed it was at least 57 percent alcohol, or, in other words, "114 Proof," which is pretty stiff stuff. They couldn't do that with beer.